Do you ride a ‘roo? Quirky questions from would-be tourists ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you ride a ‘roo? Quirky questions from would-be tourists ...
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Joshua Crouthamel

We come from a land Down Under, and as such, we know the Outback as our own backyard. But what do people from other countries think of us antipodeans?

You've probably been cornered by a Yank overseas and been asked about your pet kangaroo, or taken a Pommie to task when, upon hearing you hail from Sydney, he's asked if you know his cousin Frank from Broken Hill.

An Australian tourism site has recently posted some of the most beguiling questions received by potential travellers to our fair shores, as well as potential answers. Any of these sound familiar?

Q: Does it ever get windy in Australia? I've never seen it rain on TV. How do your plants grow? (UK)

A: We import all of our plants fully grown and then sit around watching them die.

Q: My wife and I enjoy walking tours. How long will it take us to get from Perth to Sydney on foot? (Canada)

A: How long did it take you to do your last 4,000 kilometre walk? Bring a bottle of water.

Q: Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? If so, can you send me a list of all of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay? (UK)

A: What did your last slave die of?

Q: What is the weather like in Vienna in May? (USA)

A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y.

Q: Are there supermarkets in Sydney, and is milk available year-round? (Germany)

A: No, we are a peaceful nation of vegan hunters and gatherers. Milk is illegal.

Q: Are the rattlesnakes in Melbourne deadly? Do you sell anti-venom at the grocery store? (USA)

A: Rattlesnakes live in A-mer-i-ca, which is where you come from. Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make great pets.

Q: Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? If so, when? (France)

A: Occasionally, and if so than during our Christmas annual leave.

Q: Will I be able to speak English most places I go in Australia? (USA)

A: Yes, but you will have to learn it first.

http://travelaustralia.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=569999

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gotta watch them rattle snakes, stomp! friggen everywhere.

Just Me

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my friend was in LA they asked her if we speak English in Australia. She said we speak "Australian" and they were really perplexed!

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my friend was in LA they asked her if we speak English in Australia. She said we speak "Australian" and they were really perplexed!
hahaha i have done this on so many occasions.

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
my mate went to the us for a working holiday as a camp councillor and found a lot of yanks to be gullible if they nver travelled outside us,..they believed him that kids hop on the back of kangaroos and ride them to school lol that was 1995 id like to think the situation has improved tenfold with internet

Status
Not open for further replies.