Do you expect much improvement in our defense?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We pretty much leaked the most points last year, how do you think we will go this year? Do you think the players we recruited will help fix our D? I know Kurt Mann and Critta are good defenders, haven't really paid attention to Curran's defensive game, though I've heard he's been killing it at training.

My biggest worry is Burton and Mahoney, maybe Turpin or Mann will come off the bench for Mahoney with Critta and a fit Kikau helping Burton on the left edge.
No magic cure...But collective team effort will definitely be better !
Our biggest defense deficiency was in the centres, that is sorted.
We hope by having reliable players/defenders will help lessens the burden on the likes of Burton and Mahoney.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a significant improvement in our defense. Whether that ends in results we will have to see. I think a premium is on defense this year with players with the better defense getting the leg up over other options. That is the reason why I think Xerri will start the year in NSW Cup. Because CC will want to watch his D in games before bringing him into First Grade.

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think there will be an improvement until our middles start getting worn out and injured. Even if everyone is greatly improved once we're constantly on the back foot it'll be hard to keep up the good defence

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think there will be an improvement until our middles start getting worn out and injured. Even if everyone is greatly improved once we're constantly on the back foot it'll be hard to keep up the good defence
That's what happened last season. We started well but pretty much within 6-8 weeks our players were busted and it was downhill from that point. The system broke down and certain individuals were left isolated and exposed and teams just continually targeted the weak points.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
7 years of being beaten down tells me probably not.

Massive roster changes, whilst needing to be done, wont' help in the short term either.

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Very little improvement unless the middle forwards improve. Kikau and Crighton are good defenders when they are not surrounded by players who obviously struggle in defence. Burton is a weak defender as is Addo Carr, Crighton and Kikau will be placed beside them. The middle will eventually contain the likes of Knight, Mann, Morrin and Salmon, all are below average size wise and none of them are going to get picked for their defence. Others in Edwards, Sutton, Hughes and Patolo are either lacking in aggression, speed or agility. The hope is that King, and Curran have big years, which might allow CC to pick purely on form rather than size and experience, which might even favour players we have seen less of, Hughes, Patolo, Morrin, Edwards, Kautoga, Hopoi, Hayes...who knows with the clubs obviously lack of middles they might unvover a middle like Preston was on an edge last year.

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's what happened last season. We started well but pretty much within 6-8 weeks our players were busted and it was downhill from that point. The system broke down and certain individuals were left isolated and exposed and teams just continually targeted the weak points.
Yep sadly our quality and quantity of middle forwards lesser than last season. I can see it going the same way. Hoping for a big improvement but not holding my breath

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I honestly think there's plenty of things that will improve. Our attack will hopefully be pretty hard to stop. I think we'll be a team that can score points quickly with our backline. And if the team has the belief that a 2 try deficit isn't insurmountable they'll have motivation to defend still. I think last year plenty of players saw that 12 point deficit as game over and switched off.

But we've picked up a load of players that are capable defenders. You throw Crichton in for Averillo, Xerri (when he's ready) in for Alamotti and that plugs two weak spots.

Our pack hasn't actually dropped that much when you consider that TPJ was generally pedestrian most weeks compared to his best games and Thompson spent much of last season and those before injured or suspended. Vaughan in my opinion was our last big loss in the forward pack. Not saying TPJ & Thompson are crap. But they certainly never hit great heights with us.

So we might still struggle in the middle early on. But I think this team will grow in confidence as the year goes on. Young props will step up and I think we'll be a competitive team.

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's only part of the truth but definitely not all of it. Our injury toll was horrendous and we had near zero NRL standard depth. Flanagan at half was a serious problem, the fullback Perham the same and CC has to take responsibility for that although what options did he have, Averillos defense is an oxymoron, Alamoti just not ready and so on.
I'm confident of a much better showing this year.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bloody oath I do - last year was atrocious. I still have nightmares about that game against Newcastle.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We were so short of defensive players in the past, the coach had to use Okunbor as an edge.
The recruits are better footy players than those who departed, so defence will improve measurably.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tackling style will improve, defense on the line still has issues.

In saying that i reckon our defense will be better than last year and better than our attack to start the year.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely. No Pangai, Alamoti, Okenbur, Thompson & Flanno & Perham injury only. Thats 6 players who thought they were playing touch football in 23.