Do we now have enough $$$ left for a prop or 2 and a halfback for 2025 ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read that Tracey is on just under 500K a season.

I've been hoping we could afford both AFB AND Terrell May AND a half out of Dearden, Luai OR Mam but with all these utilities surely we can't have enough left over to buy all 3. Would it even be possible to move on both RFM and Sutton without paying significant freight and how much cap would those 2 give us ?

I really believe we need not one but 2 tough starting props as King isn't tough enough or Knight. Look at the Panthers, even Fisher-Harris can't do it on his own. Leota and him are a team. Haas has good support at the Broncos too. The closest we could get to that is AFB + May but then we also could really do with a new half.

I just don't get the strategy at the moment. I really think buying 2 props and a 7 should have been a priority over a few of the utilities like Salmon, Hutchison and Turpin at least, maybe even Tracey. Without these 4 we'd still have around an extra 1.2M a season to spend.

If we sign AFB then had a choice out of Terrell May OR a half from Deaden, Luai or Mam who would you chose ?

I'd probably go May and hope Taaffe, Sexton, Oloapu, Hutchison or BBO work out at 7 then Mitchell Wood becomes an even better 7 in the next 2-3 years

Last edited:

ShepardDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've been hoping we could afford both AFB AND Terrell May AND a half out of Dearden, Luai OR Mam but with all these utilities surely we can't have enough left over to buy all 3. Would it even be possible to move on both RFM and Sutton without paying significant freight and how much cap would those 2 give us ?

I really believe we need not one but 2 tough starting props as King isn't tough enough or Knight. Look at the Panthers, even Fisher-Harris can't do it on his own. Leota and him are a team. Haas has good support too. The closest we could get to that is AFB + May but then we also could really do with a new half.

I just don't get the strategy at the moment. I really think buying 2 props and a 7 should have been a priority over a few of the utilities like Salmon, Hutchison and Turpin at least, maybe even Tracey
No it’s sharks have 500k from Tracey and Moylan. Right now Tracey is probably only on 250-350k I reckon as his contract would be slightly upgraded from before.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it’s sharks have 500k from Tracey and Moylan. Right now Tracey is probably only on 250-350k I reckon as his contract would be slightly upgraded from before.
You'd think Moylan would have been on 500K or more alone. Even if Tracey is on 350K or less he and the others I mentioned could have cost us around 1M thus prevent us getting one elite player

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I really believe we need not one but 2 tough starting props as King isn't tough enough or Knight. Look at the Panthers, even Fisher-Harris can't do it on his own. Leota and him are a team. Haas has good support at the Broncos too. The closest we could get to that is AFB + May but then we also could really do with a new half.

I just don't get the strategy at the moment. I really think buying 2 props and a 7 should have been a priority over a few of the utilities like Salmon, Hutchison and Turpin at least, maybe even Tracey. Without these 4 we'd still have around an extra 1.2M a season to spend.

If we sign AFB then had a choice out of Terrell May OR a half from Deaden, Luai or Mam who would you chose ?

I'd probably go May and hope Taaffe, Sexton, Oloapu, Hutchison or BBO work out at 7 then Mitchell Wood becomes an even better 7 in the next 2-3 years
Must have been a case of FOMO

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You'd think Moylan would have been on 500K or more alone. Even if Tracey is on 350K or less he and the others I mentioned could have cost us around 1M thus prevent us getting one elite player
"Moylan’s current one-year deal is said to worth around $350,000 but will likely see a slight increase if the one-time Kangaroo signs a new deal."

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

No one has any idea what is actually going on but apparently all of our recruitment decisions of late are part of a masterful ‘big picture’ which might Bare fruit in an unspecified number of yrs times. Keep the faith and trust the process

#pathways
#bigpicture
#longgame
#5dchess
#inguswetrust

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

Nasheed here,
You are right.
The only way Tracey makes sense is if there is a pending release for Foxx.

The spot, which doesn’t even exist as yet as we have 31 ppl, should have gone to Klemmer or someone

We did have money for AFB and May or Klem, just, but surprised if we do now unless fox goes.
We definitely need two props.
A marquee like AFB and a super solid hard nose like Maguire or Klem or a genuine uo and comes liek May

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We definitely need a couple of alpha props. I get the feeling we aren’t looking at halfback at all. I think we will be working with what we have currently. Holding on for a few years for a good one to develop from the halves academy.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moylan hasn’t been a top tier player for years I can’t see him being on 500k.
The last time he resigned with sharks had to take 50% pay cut. To stay in the NRL otherwise he was going to super league.

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

probably need to work out how many players we have coming off contract 2024

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The last time he resigned with sharks had to take 50% pay cut. To stay in the NRL otherwise he was going to super league.
Wrong, that's the second last time, the last time he was coming of a solid year in 2022 from a contract of $350k. He, and his agent, had good reason to negotiate for a better $'s deal, he got one and it was for 2 years.

Always a Bulldog

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
We arent looking for a hb. Sexton will get a crack and we have others who can play 7 also amongst the new signings and juniors.
I agree, Gus has repeatedly said good halfbacks aren't available right now and we would try to breed our own. I can see stop gap solutions like Sexton, Hutchinson or Tracey play until one of our juniors are ready.