Not open for further replies.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Oh dear.

Anyone who wants Ennis replacing, please do the following:

1) Slap yourself
2) Remind yourself that Romelo's angry midget routine is great entertainment, but not solid defending.
3) Slap yourself.
4) Remember how poor we were early last season when Ennis was underdone, playing on one knee with no preseason behind him, and how we solidified afterwards.
5) Slap yourself.
6) Rewatch the game (vs Souths?) last year when we were cruising, and Ennis went off for ten minutes before the break injured and we crumbled through the middle of the park.
7) Slap yourself.
8) Rewatch the Eels game from last week and look at the amount of work he did solidifying the middle of the park. Defensively, he might be the best hooker in the world. Overall, he's no Cam Smith, but if we'd swapped him for 90% of the hookers in the NRL has week, the Eels would have opened the season with back to back victories.
9) Slap yourself.
10) As yourself why you know more about Rugby League than Wayne Bennett (who picked him up at Brisbane and tried to get him to Newcastle) and Des Hasler (whose first decision entering the club was to hand the captaincy to him).
11) Slap yourself.
Love it and could not agree more. I love his passion for the team and the work he does in defence is unbelievable I think the only thing I would change is putting a ban on him kicking especially when we are in an attacking position. His grubber that he put in last night right on the storm's try line was woeful. Still think he played a good game last night tackled everything that moved and even made some good metres out of dummy half. So as you have so eloquently put it... anyone who thinks we should get rid of him or replace him should slap themselves

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't need to replace him, he just needs a lesson in not giving away so many bloody penaltys, one of the worst for it.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Oh dear.

1) Slap yourself
2) Remind yourself that Romelo's angry midget routine is great entertainment, but not solid defending.
3) Slap yourself.
4) Remember how poor we were early last season when Ennis was underdone, playing on one knee with no preseason behind him, and how we solidified afterwards.
5) Slap yourself.
6) Rewatch the game (vs Souths?) last year when we were cruising, and Ennis went off for ten minutes before the break injured and we crumbled through the middle of the park.
7) Slap yourself.
8) Rewatch the Eels game from last week and look at the amount of work he did solidifying the middle of the park. Defensively, he might be the best hooker in the world. Overall, he's no Cam Smith, but if we'd swapped him for 90% of the hookers in the NRL has week, the Eels would have opened the season with back to back victories.
9) Slap yourself.
10) As yourself why you know more about Rugby League than Wayne Bennett (who picked him up at Brisbane and tried to get him to Newcastle) and Des Hasler (whose first decision entering the club was to hand the captaincy to him).
11) Slap yourself.

Totally agree Pom, are we getting soo big for our boots that we are gonna question our captain courageous?... FFS, Ennis is probably the last person id replace, a la souths game last year, we were rudderless when he went off.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the comments but I think he needs to modify his game slightly , my wife is a huge fan

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
Oh dear.

1) Slap yourself
3) Slap yourself.
5) Slap yourself.
7) Slap yourself.
9) Slap yourself.
11) Slap yourself.
What he said........

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can sack the captain but maybe he could do things a little different, maybe develop a bit of a kicking game or an offload.
When he tries to barge over the line after a play the ball he doesn't get low enough to bulldoze like Hethrington used to.

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
no way!! he's the best hooker in the club(obvious),very crucial to the structure and a good leader

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah maybe we should replace him but with Cameron Smith not Joel Romelo.
Ennis just doesn't threaten the defence. Compare his performance to smith or even farah last night. Ennis is not even close to those two.
Unfortunately he is our best option at the moment.

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Memory recalls when Ennis was out last year we lost some organisational structure. For the moment he is valuable especially in that position and courageous last year playing with a niggling injury nearly a whole season. He's the best talker out there, especially with the refs, giving it to them even when Cameron Smith was trying to have a go.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Realistically he will be in the team until he either retires or moves on but as the post states maybe dual hookers. Personally I don't like dual hookers but alot of teams do it. For me good hookers like Cam Smith are on for the whole 80 minutes so if you do need two then most likely its because your main hooker isn't good enough in the first place. I know this will upset alot of the hating sheep on this site but I never wanted Ennis at the club in the first place. He has improved a little bit but unfortunately he attracts way to many negative outcomes from the refs IMO. I want a captain who does question refs but the hatred the refs must have for him affects the outcomes we get. We never get the rub of the green and I do wonder how much of it is Ennis's fault, look at Steve Price.....we had better overall ref relationship under him. But that is my opinion and he is with us until the next era so....................!

S

Sharpy

What a stupid thread and started by a stupid post...

Do you even watch the games??

Seriously, anybody who think that Romelo is in anywhere in the same class as Ennis needs to get a reality check..

Add to that, we have one of the best coaches in the league who can make a decision like that but he doesn't...do you wonder why??

Dont you love how people don't read the posts correctly.
there was never a mention of Ennis being sacked, it was about him being interchanged.
if you read the post correctly, I never questioned his desire and his passion.
if you take the time to read the post instead of bad mouthing people, I said interchange.
anyone can see he offers nothing in attack, now he needs to fix that or need some variety in dummy at the back end of the half.
just my thoughts

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
With all the brilliant attackers in our full strength side we dont really need Ennis to be great in attack. As others said his defense is crucial, and he is a good captain.

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only with Isaac Luke
Ennis doesn't lack creativity or spark. The fact is our playing style doesn't require a flamboyant dummyhalf.

Ennis has skill. He showed through seasons 2008 with the Broncos and 2009-2011 with us that he can put players into holes and create opportunities. Anyone who understands football will see that he plays his role in our team and does it well.

Also, to question Ennis is a joke. You only have to look at the 10 minutes at the end of the first half against Manly in 1/4 final to see how bad we are without him.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
You only have to look at the 10 minutes at the end of the first half against Manly in 1/4 final to see how bad we are without him.
Exactly.

You could say the best way to tell how good or important Ennis is in our side, is to see us play with him out. Since he came to us, when he doesnt play, it isnt pretty.

Doggone NQ

New Pup
Reaction score
Romello is the answer. He just needs a fair crack at it. If Souths can have a spot on there bench for Peats to change with Luke surely to god we can find a spot for Joel. Ennis is the least attacking dummy half out there. Atleast he's lost that bullshit double pump phase he went through which fooled no-one and gave our runners no time to do anything. While I am here I want to express my hatred towards Chris Keating!!!! WHERE THE HELL IS HOGDKINSON?????? He was supposed to be our saviour but cant even make the bench. All I can say is thank god for T-Rex.... Now Josh Morris can stop being given the ball in the shithouse position that the Carrot headed cum sponge always seems to give it to him in. Williams got a hospital pass from Keating against Melb. Took the hit then offloaded to Morris who was given the open space he deserves and we were away.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Romello is the answer. He just needs a fair crack at it. If Souths can have a spot on there bench for Peats to change with Luke surely to god we can find a spot for Joel. Ennis is the least attacking dummy half out there. Atleast he's lost that bullshit double pump phase he went through which fooled no-one and gave our runners no time to do anything. While I am here I want to express my hatred towards Chris Keating!!!! WHERE THE HELL IS HOGDKINSON?????? He was supposed to be our saviour but cant even make the bench. All I can say is thank god for T-Rex.... Now Josh Morris can stop being given the ball in the shithouse position that the Carrot headed cum sponge always seems to give it to him in. Williams got a hospital pass from Keating against Melb. Took the hit then offloaded to Morris who was given the open space he deserves and we were away.
Hodgkinson and Chris Keating played together as juniors. Along with Iris. And Pea. And Toleman.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mick Ennis is a rock in defence ! Makes a crapload of tackles. With our big forwards, his presence in the middle is crucial. Plus he's our leader.

Klem Bupa-Berg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If its to take presure off Ennis then maybe some runs from our wingers to get more involved only if opposition is struggling to get back or markers are off. Only sometimes it can get annoying with one out stuff and a winger scooping the ball to be pushed back.

Snap

Waterboy
Reaction score
I would say he's the 10th best hooker in the competition.

If he played 60 minutes, he'd be more effective.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do we need to replace Ennis?

Ennis's determination and spirit in the blue and white can never be questioned
In a word no we don't need to replace him, but it would be a big plus if we could change him. Here a a few suggestions

1. Ennis and referees don't mix. Now when he approaches them he seems to be whinging, not querying a decision or discussing a situation. He must treat the referees with respect (whether they deserve it or not) and take their decisions / explanations with diplomacy. Then they'll like him and the Dogs will get a better share of the 50/50 decisions.

2. He must eliminate the forward pass to runner from the play the ball. Giving the ball back on the second or third tackle is a killer for our defence.

3. Make an inciseive run from dummy half when metres can be gained. This usually gives a quick play the ball and more metres.

4. Kick from dummy half, but only when he can see a fullback or winger out of position.

5. Run from dummy half to link with a forward going hard and fast (say Taupau not T-Rex) to make a bad bend or break the defensive line

6. Do not run from dummy half when only a metre or two from the line. Its a waste of a play.

Status
Not open for further replies.