Do we need another David Stagg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the bulldogs need another David Stagg?

When he was with the bulldogs he was a tackling machine. He allowed our big dominant forwards to hit the line hard with fresh legs. When he left, it was T-Rex and Frankie Pritchard which had to fill the void which completely killed their effectiveness as an attacking forward.

Finnucane was almost a David Stagg but he had butter fingers and would cough up way too much ball.

But we do need a David Stagg, Im happy if they make no hitups, but I want a thousand tackles..

What is Sean Fensom upto these days I ask? Maybe we grab him?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des used Josh Jackson in this role this year and totally blunted his attacking game. Adam Elliott could play like Stagg did but he hasn't had a chance to show it off the bench he's a workhorse but he was used as an impact player. I realise he was terrible this year but he wasn't used right in my opinion.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do the bulldogs need another David Stagg?
But we do need a David Stagg, Im happy if they make no hitups, but I want a thousand tackles..
No thank you.

Hasler has already destroyed the attacking skills of Michael Ennis and Damien Cook by turning them into tackling robots. The result was that the Bulldogs went backwards.

What the Bulldogs might have been with Ennis in particular playing his natural game was seeing him throw the winning pass for Cronulla win the last grand final. We need footballers, not robots.

If we could go into time warp Dene Halatau would be my choice. He could do it all.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, yes & yes - we do need another David Stagg, or Tony Grimaldi, or Dale Finucane. Oh hang on, we had Dale Finucane and we let him go early. Ask Melbourne Storm if they will release him early from his contract. ..... I dont think so. Their game is based on defence, Des thinks our game is based on defence - but to him that means Liccha (our only forward under 100kgs making all the important tackles around the ruck because the other Fatso's (barring Jackson on the edge) cant defend laterally. No wonder Liccha is so inifective.
I'd take Fensom cheap, but Des wont drop one of his darlings to play him. He'll probably sign him then treat him like Loyd Perret.

Tony Grimaldi
Steve Folks
Reni Maitua
Simon Gillies

They were all these type of players when they won premierships with us, and IMO they are the most integral part of any premiership team.

Yes Des did blunt the others attacking abilities but its because they had no help from fellas like these.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Scraping the bottom of the barrel with threads like this!

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
A smarter bench rotation would be a better idea.

On too many occasions Des left a fresh second rower on the bench while a fatigued Eastwood stayed on.

He even carried two second rowers on the bench for certain games.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We had Finucane and let him go.. complete stupidity wouldnt have been on big coin

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think our defence is really that bad but our attacking play with no repeat sets and no kicking game tires us out way too much especially when we can't hold the ball like at the back end of the year.

NRNM

Waterboy
Reaction score
Stagg was sooo underrated. The only thing was that he would always get belted when he was running with the ball but he'd get straight back up haha

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We let dale finucane go who we missed so much last year. I can't believe des let him go to melbourne.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can he? He's the only recruit of ours that i haven't seen play live but i hear he's good
Yup. He was a standout for the townsville Blackhawkes in the QCup. Wont look out of place in the NRL

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
could work with:

tolman at lock (should he still be in the team)
graham/klemmer to start.
kas and beast as bench forwards.

would be happy with fensom also. very reliable and unlucky to be dropped.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We let dale finucane go who we missed so much last year. I can't believe des let him go to melbourne.
Don't start me on Finucane! Des cut him loose yet never even had a real replacement for him in the lock position...instead he played props at lock lol. He is surely taking the piss.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Martin was one of the best edge backrowers in QCup, I tend to agree with Elliott in that role

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We need 2 more josh Jacksons and 3 more David klemmers.....even then, we'd still need a half or ball playing FB.

Status
Not open for further replies.