do we need an overhaul of our playing style?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
like the title says people...i believe for us to be competitive in 08 and beyond we do!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
All we need is a new halfback IMO and then EVERYTHING will fix itself.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
not just a halfback but a much better backline with speed.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
We need an overhaul of our defense and our fitness. Our defence was a joke this year. We drifted in and out of concentration every game this year and usually the cause of these laspses is fatigue.

Also, If Sherwin or Crapberts don't rectify their kicking woes and/or we don't replace them with someone who can kick, we stand virtually zero chance of being a contender in 08.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
the forwards?...seem to be going okay..we have the cattle as mason puts it to compete..the backs thats the problem...

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
yeah i agree our D was bad..fitness..i remember one of the 1st graders saying in the media in the middle of the season that the players were not fit yet..so does that mean the regime they r on we will see results in 08?..sounds weird

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overhaul no, tweak yes. The halves and hooker position is killing us. Once these improve then the rest will fall into place. Remember we did finish 6th this season, it's not like we finished last.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The backs thats the problem...
That's a myth IMO. It all comes down to our 7. Our forwards can lay a good platform, it's up to the 7 to create something.

1. Patten- One of the best FB's in the NRL.
2. El Masri- Despite what people on here say/think, he is worth 14 points a game.
3. Millard- One of our highest try scorers this season.
4. Tonga. Great footwork. VERY deadly on his day.
5. Utai. Defence is poor but is like a forward on the wing.

That's not the best backline but it's still good.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
If we improved our kicking game and reduced our unforced errors, we would have been playing Manly or Melbourne this week.

You can't attacked everything in the team when we are not even doing the basics right. Its like a pyramid, the base represents the basics. All the strategy and different players and styles above the base will collapse into a heap without doing the basics.

The Dogs have a tradition of building pressure, grinding and doing the basics really well, until recent years.

So we come full circle to why are we not doing the basics right - its because our attitude and endurance is out of sync. We think we are too good when we start a game and lack intensity giving the opposition a good start and momentum, forcing us into errors.

Then we get too bloody fatigued and mistake ridden to be able to do enough to claw ourselves back into the game in time to win on most occasions. Our ruck area becomes a playground for the opposition to steal easy metres and catch our marker defence and big tired forwards offside.

An overhaul is needed on the mindset of the Bulldogs including their lack of respect for the opposition.

Their fitness needs to go up a notch - you only need to be a few % more fit than your opposition to make a massive difference. Every sport is a game of inches.

Then addressing our weaknesses in our halves is paramount. Every time they play poorly, we struggle to win a game.

When we turn our attention to Melbourne's consistency and dynamic halves combination in the past 2 years, my point is made even clearer.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Like I said before, our performances this season mirror those of our Halfback's.

When Sherwin is on his game, we win. When Sherwin is off his game....

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
hazem isnt worth 14 no more.

he scored 210 points this year.
in 25 games. i remember he missed one game and nanai played

thats just a little over 8 points per game.
yes he is still a great kicker, but doesnt score the same amount of tries as he use to.

GATE7

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Id like to see us improve our speed around the rucks when attacking and defending.
Id like to see a speedier backline and the halves perform better.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes he (Hazem) is still a great kicker, but doesnt score the same amount of tries as he use to.
Well if the halfback did what he was suppose to do.....

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It ain't all the halfbacks fault!

btw I propose we get a new waterboy!
Not all but 80%. He's suppose to guide the team around and (along with the 6) create the opportunity.

I have lost complete faith in the man formerly known as Shifty.

AC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not all but 80%. He's suppose to guide the team around and (along with the 6) create the opportunity.

I have lost complete faith in the man formerly known as Shifty.
Over the last two - three weeks in particular I agree - but not overall in the season.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Over the last two - three weeks in particular I agree - but not overall in the season.
But that the thing. He will have a few good games and nod off for a few more. We can't afford that.

Maybe he needs a somewhat established 6 to help him out?

TOOL

Lt. Col. Speirs
Reaction score
Having a Top 8 system allows strong teams, like the Bulldogs, to cruise through the regular season... knowing in the back of their minds that they will be there somewhere (in the Top 8) at the end of the season. It basically rewards mediocrity.

Not that I'm blaming the Finals system for the Dogs poor year. But I always got the feeling that they only did just enough to win games that they should have won convincingly. And matched teams that were superior for most of the match, only to give up with 20min to go.

Having a Top 5 system rewards the best teams in the comp, and forces teams to play well week-in, week-out..., and as a result the games would be far more exciting to watch.

I remember some bloke on the rleague.com forums suggesting that the teams that don't make the Finals should take part in a knock-out "Cup" match while the Finals are on - this keeps the fans (of those teams not in the Finals) interested.

The Cup Final can be played just before the regular Grand Final. It was quite a lengthy article, and far better explained than I've done just there (I'll try to dig it up).

Anyway... there's always next year. But how fckn boring are the Finals without the Dogs there...?

TOOL

Lt. Col. Speirs
Reaction score
Well, maybe not boring... but little emotional investment.

I can still cheer for whoever's playing Manly, I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.