Do bosses only like people they are smarter than?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why I work in Government. If you ever do excess hours, they'll either have to pay you in overtime (if it's agreed) or time in lieu, such as take a flex day sometime the following week etc...

Anyway my most recent manager was by far the worst I've ever had. She had no communication skills whatsoever. She was a good worker, a good operator, and I wouldn't challenge that, but she is not manager material. She cannot speak to staff in an effect way. She uses scare tactics which is not legal. She even threatened me one time with my job saying that it'll have very bad financial consequences for me. That was the first (and only) time in my career I was contemplating quitting a job. I spoke to a 2 former managers about this and asked them if there was a possibility to go back working for them knowing that they were moving to Parramatta (which would've been a nightmare commute for me), but that's something I was willing to do to get away from my the current manager. They told me to put up with it for a bit longer an if push comes to shove, we'll address it then.

Well... I put up with it for a bit longer, and they were eventually going to push me. I fought back... and won (which I didn't expect). Now I'm in a new role, not reporting to that manager, and thank my lucky stars and God that I spoke to my 2 former managers and fought back.
Good on you for standing your ground. I had a real serious issue years ago when I wouldnt play ball so to speak with my manager doing the wrong thing. I was walked out of the building saying it was a redundancy , no consultation or anything, no reason. Not work performance just a redundency. They just didn't like me pushing back , having my say and not agreeing to some shady things.

Took them to court, they were shitting themselves as it becomes a public record if it goes to court. But it's also costly, lawyers will keep feeding you that it's a air tight position and keep pumping money in and you would get costs back but at the end of the day the court can decide either way. I was offered another job in the interim and proceeding would potentially damage my standing with new employer so I settled early. Employers don't want a straight down the line letigious person. I have learnt to just absolve myself when things are a little grey rather than speaking up.

To this day they still do everything to try belittle me as they know I have serious dirt on them. I keep it quiet but if push comes to shove I will sink them. They want me gone.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Good on you for standing your ground. I had a real serious issue years ago when I wouldnt play ball so to speak with my manager doing the wrong thing. I was walked out of the building saying it was a redundancy , no consultation or anything, no reason. Not work performance just a redundency. They just didn't like me pushing back , having my say and not agreeing to some shady things.

Took them to court, they were shitting themselves as it becomes a public record if it goes to court. But it's also costly, lawyers will keep feeding you that it's a air tight position and keep pumping money in and you would get costs back but at the end of the day the court can decide either way. I was offered another job in the interim and proceeding would potentially damage my standing with new employer so I settled early. Employers don't want a straight down the line letigious person. I have learnt to just absolve myself when things are a little grey rather than speaking up.

To this day they still do everything to try belittle me as they know I have serious dirt on them. I keep it quiet but if push comes to shove I will sink them. They want me gone.
See the problem that employers have is they are never aware of the quiet ones, and they expect them to cop everything sweet on the chin. The quiet ones are the ones they need to be aware of.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the boss I have on a few occassions sat through two employees absolutely belting into one another... They both had valid points and whilst I resolved it I spoke to each of them alone afterwords about proper conduct .

It's quite funny as both thought they got the better of the argument, "I wasn't going to listen to their bullshit" and "did you see when I told her off " .. both though they pinned the other. Lol

To this day (we all work in different workplaces) I tell them how they got a dressing down by the other and they fire up straight away. They both love me but hate one another.. in good jest

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My boss feels threatened by anyone new thats smarter than him, go figure. He doesnt like me. Not because Im smarter than him but because I wont tolerate a boss swearing at me. I also think he doesnt like me because he's a hack, I know it and he knows I know it. Its ok not to like everyone you work with no matter who they are, I just try to be professional about it. I occasionally fail.