Dib the TPA King - Mythbusted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And the problem with that is. :tearsofjoy:
Mainly that it turns people away from the game. Give it enough years with one club towns being able to cheat the cap and the game will fold when only Brisbane or Melbourne viewers are watching and the game isn't getting the ratings to secure sponsorship deals. A few super rich backers might be willing to contribute the odd million dollars here and there, but long term businesses fluctuate with their success. Would the people who back the Broncos also be willing to support the NRL to the tune of a billion a year while still supplementing the income of 10-12 elite players?. Because the reality at this time is the game is seeing a not so slow decline in support. The major sponsors will take note of that and the deals will reflect their confidence in how well they will see a return on their advertising dollars.

To provide one example, look at Peter Holmes a Court (however it's spelled) who backed the Rabbitohs for a number of years, but eventually had to withdraw from it. The game can't survive forever by relying on backers of single clubs. It relies on the major sponsors who will generate mega revenue and that predominantly is broadcasters who can generate advertising monies.

The longevity of the game is more important than the success of your beloved Broncos. I'd much rather see an even competition where it felt fair to every team than to see one team mega cities dominate because they can rort the system. I'm sure that many people who are rugby league fans as opposed to just fans of a single team would agree. I loved growing up in the pre salary cap days when the Bulldogs could not only develop their own players, but also keep them when their market worth increased because we had a strong financial foundation due to our leagues club. It was nice being a powerhouse and constantly successful. But I do like the theory of the salary cap. I just know it's being badly rorted these days because TPA's screw the whole premise of having a salary cap at all for certain clubs. To grow the game better we need a far better system in place than is currently in operation. I can handle that our team might not be in the race for the premiership every year, but knowing that regardless of the work we may do in the future to produce our own talent or enough talent to supplement other clubs who don't, we'll still suffer because the salary cap rewards cheating. And at the end of the day that is part of why the game is on the decline.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know the struggle is real when Titans are doing better than your club

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dib is the king of spin, that's about all.

Status
Not open for further replies.