Dessie's plans for O'Hanlon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashheart

Waterboy
Reaction score
Although I didn’t get to watch any of the 9’s, according to this forum O’Hanlon was a standout for the Dogs. A few doggie supporters I know also seem to rate him highly. With all the conjecture about who will be our fullback, and the general make-up of our backline this season, I get the feeling Des is someone who will generally opt for an experienced player over youth. Thus, I’m thinking Perrett or Inu will play at least the first few rounds as fullback.
Morris obviously has a mortgage on one of the centre positions, but the other centre spot is certainly up for grabs. I was wondering if O’Hanlon will be groomed as a centre? We have 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] rowers coming out of every orifice, and according to the Bulldogs player profiles, he is much taller (195cm) and a bit lighter (93kg) compared to the others. According to wiki he played a bit of centre at Parra when Loko was injured. To those of us who’ve seen more of him than I, could he be effective as a centre? Does he have more to offer at centre than Brown, Lafai & Stanley?
Whatever position he plays, the Eels didn’t seem to rate him, and last season he was one of the dozen or so that Ricky Stuart said weren’t good enough for another contract. So he’s certainly a superstar of the future.

top_dawg1

New Pup
Reaction score
Wow, i cant believe i just read that crap........dead set embarrassing.

N

Natboy

He could play centre until Lafai comes back. Pretty quick for a big guy & wouldn't be the slowest in our backline
I'd like to see Inu on one wing and a young guy on the other wing

TrickmA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why is that? Are you saying O'Hanlon is hopeless? Or that he couldn't play centre?
O'Hanlon is great - I thought he played really well in the 9's, wouldn't use him at centre though. We have plenty of capable players fighting it out for the centre spot, especially if we sign Hoffman for fullback.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Watching the last couple of Eels games last year, O'Hanlon and Maitua were by far their best players.

O'Hanlan in the Nines - although wasn't anything special, showed enough for me to suggest he's a top 17 player in the squad.

Flashheart

Waterboy
Reaction score
O'Hanlon is great - I thought he played really well in the 9's, wouldn't use him at centre though. We have plenty of capable players fighting it out for the centre spot, especially if we sign Hoffman for fullback.
Sounds good. With Lafai’s injury and jury still out on our fullback I thought he may have been a chance at centre if he excelled in the 9’s.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Mbye at centre might work as well, an extra half in the team who could do some work at as well.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I reckon he will go OK at centre. He can run the ball and he can tackle. Reminds me a lot of Chris Mortimer and Andrew Farrer.

TrickmA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mbye at centre might work as well, an extra half in the team who could do some work at as well.
Would be great playing a Jamie Lyon type role, he has played a bit of #3 last year.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He needs to be in the team wherever he can be fitted
Would be great playing a Jamie Lyon type role, he has played a bit of #3 last year.
Only problem with slotting Mbye at centre to be in the team is that once Lafai comes back that centre spot should be Lafai's. I think if we run a utility this year he should be it.

N

Natboy

Yeah that's it. I'm more excited to see how our team pans out this year more than any other year

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah that's it. I'm more excited to see how our team pans out this year more than any other year
We have too much talent all around the place and with the possibility of Hoffman arriving we might have the complete balanced team needed to go all the way, it is exciting to see how things pan out for sure haha!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Mbye, or if we are talking O'Hanlon, Tim Browne is one of the fastest back rowers we have (size as well).

In NSW Cup on more than a few occasions he's ran down centres and wingers (albeit with a bit of a head start).

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
not sure where he fits but a lot of eel fans are spewing we signed him

soaibdiwan1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Although I didn’t get to watch any of the 9’s, according to this forum O’Hanlon was a standout for the Dogs. A few doggie supporters I know also seem to rate him highly. With all the conjecture about who will be our fullback, and the general make-up of our backline this season, I get the feeling Des is someone who will generally opt for an experienced player over youth. Thus, I’m thinking Perrett or Inu will play at least the first few rounds as fullback.
Morris obviously has a mortgage on one of the centre positions, but the other centre spot is certainly up for grabs. I was wondering if O’Hanlon will be groomed as a centre? We have 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] rowers coming out of every orifice, and according to the Bulldogs player profiles, he is much taller (195cm) and a bit lighter (93kg) compared to the others. According to wiki he played a bit of centre at Parra when Loko was injured. To those of us who’ve seen more of him than I, could he be effective as a centre? Does he have more to offer at centre than Brown, Lafai & Stanley?
Whatever position he plays, the Eels didn’t seem to rate him, and last season he was one of the dozen or so that Ricky Stuart said weren’t good enough for another contract. So he’s certainly a superstar of the future.

That Would be good..

N

Natboy

not sure where he fits but a lot of eel fans are spewing we signed him
They can blame the NRL's most over-rated coach sticky Ricky for that one!
If it was up to their new coach Bea Arthur he would still be there I'm sure

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about our side since 9s. O'Hanlon was by far our best and imo, needs a spot on the bench. Burr deserves one too though and so does Reni. Perhaps Eastwood can play in the front row this year rotating off bench with kas. Maybe O'hanlon at lock would be a good move. Too many good forwards and not enough spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.