Des Long Term Goals in Disarray

Status
Not open for further replies.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
We dont have the cattle required to implement and all encompassing game plan. With the current rules we dont have to. The boys have proved this by making the gf last year. Des has built a team which is based on forward dominance. Pretty sure we all know that. But....the rules are ever changing.

Obviously our biggest weakness right now is we lack any sort of direction in the kicking department. Kicking is up to the player not the coach. Des is doing the best he can with what we have. It must be hard to come up with revolutionary game play when the rules are ever changing.

2012 we had the best shoulder charge exponents in the comp. Probably still do. It was something that work well for us, it put fear in the opposition and was a good pump up play for the boys and at the time the dogs could arrest the opponents momentum with this style of defense and force turn overs. Then it got banned.

2012 we also utilised well constructed set plays with block runners. The dogs were so good at executing these plays that they were putting them on from kick offs, in our own half, at the halfway line as well as scrums and the opp 20 and at any time during a set. Then they adjusted the rules before the finals.

2013-2015 with the impending departure of Barbarass, Hodkinson taking over at halfback and a few suttle rule changes Des' dogs had changed to a more controlled style of play which was mostly based on field position obtained through superior size and power in the forwards. Hence the rules are changing to limit the impact these big forwards can have.

2015 we have focused on starting well and getting on top early, abandoning the energy conserving style of play that saw us run down alot of teams in 2014. Hence we get hammered in the second 20 mostly by stupidity and penalties.

Im not stating that it is a conspiracy theory. I am stating that these are just a few examples of the challenges Des and the boys are facing in the ever changing landscape of the National Rabbitohs League.

With the interchanges set to be reduced in 2016 there are more challenges ahead and the team, and gameplan are going to have to be adjusted for evermore.

The lesson here is trust in Des. Trust that he has a vision to stay one step ahead of the opposition. He is fighting an uphill battle and appears to have been thwarted at every turn.

In regards to the Tits game, it is pretty hard to implement a power game when the other team has a speed advantage and the refs keep them 12 metres apart. That is something that happens to us alot against speedsters and smaller packs and we just have to get used to it.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
we are getting a lot tired a lot quicker than previous years.

either their stamina has gone to shiit or as you said we are going all out in first 20 minutes and leave nothing in the tank for the last 60.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
We will probably be one of the best clubs when it comes to adapting to the reduced interchange. We already use less interchanges than any other club and we have 5/6 starting forwards who can play 80 minutes. Tolman, Lichaa, Graham, TRex, Jackson. We have one, if not the fastest halves in the game in Mbye and one of the best dummy half runners in Lichaa.

Our problems at the moment stem from being drastically undermanned. 6 players out yesterday was always going to hurt. Our starting team got on top but our reserves didn't have the impact we normally have and any team will struggle with a Stanley, Thompson combination.

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we are getting a lot tired a lot quicker than previous years.

either their stamina has gone to shiit or as you said we are going all out in first 20 minutes and leave nothing in the tank for the last 60.
That's because the game has changed this season, the new ruck rule has sped it up. When the planned reduced interchange comes in, that is going to be an even bigger problem for us. The day of the big slow massive forward packs are quickly coming to an end. If des doesn't adapt to this we are going to get left behind.

Obviously my thoughts are a complete contradiction to immortalbulldog's post above. Just because we have guys that can play big minutes doesn't mean they are particularly mobile guys though, we have one of the slowest forwards packs in the game.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Des will get the boys do more cardio & less weights. Problem will be taking Kas away from the kebabs!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's because the game has changed this season, the new ruck rule has sped it up. When the planned reduced interchange comes in, that is going to be an even bigger problem for us. The day of the big slow massive forward packs are quickly coming to an end. If des doesn't adapt to this we are going to get left behind.

Obviously my thoughts are a complete contradiction to immortalbulldog's post above. Just because we have guys that can play big minutes doesn't mean they are particularly mobile guys though, we have one of the slowest forwards packs in the game.

agree 100%.

It just frustrates me to tears watching forwards from every other team in every single game taking milli seconds to get up and play the ball, but our forwards take an eternity. Our big boys can carry 4-5 defenders with them is all good but when they are brought down , they are like dead elephants.

only exception is graham, klemmer, frank and brown who are by no means are super quick either, they are just like any other forward in nrl when it comes to quick play the ball.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
agree 100%.

It just frustrates me to tears watching forwards from every other team in every single game taking milli seconds to get up and play the ball, but our forwards take an eternity. Our big boys can carry 4-5 defenders with them is all good but when they are brought down , they are like dead elephants.

only exception is graham, klemmer, frank and brown who are by no means are super quick either, they are just like any other forward in nrl when it comes to quick play the ball.
You're on to it indiandog.....if we sped up our play the ball or more correctly our urgency around play the ball we would place ourselves better for the ruck penalties on offer that we rarely ever seem to be awarded, but frequently give away.

~cb.

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
agree 100%.

While i'm in a whinge and sook mood, i would love our forwards to do more tackling and take some of the workload off lichaa. We finally have a hooker who can actually run the ball but he tackles himself out of the match making a 1000 tackles a game.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
While i'm in a whinge and sook mood, i would love our forwards to do more tackling and take some of the workload off lichaa. We finally have a hooker who can actually run the ball but he tackles himself out of the match making a 1000 tackles a game.
Bloke hates a few tackles, he would have to be up there on most tackles list wouldn't he

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You're on to it indiandog.....if we sped up our play the ball or more correctly our urgency around play the ball we would place ourselves better for the ruck penalties on offer that we rarely ever seem to be awarded, but frequently give away.

~cb.

this is why you look at the team like broncos forward pack who are light on feet yet very strong and all their games you watch this year their sets seem to go in fast forward. Broncos slowest forward you can say is adam blair yet he would look super quick if he plays alongside our forwards.

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bloke hates a few tackles, he would have to be up there on most tackles list wouldn't he
He is 4th on the list of most tackles. Tolman is 10th. Tolman is also 2nd with hitups too.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
agree 100%.

Unfortunately one of the reasons is that there's a preconceived notion that our forwards are so big that they are not mobile, which is not true. And all the media hype about the biggest pack ever plays on the refs mind and influences there decision. So our guys are made to get off the tackled player immediately or be penalized, but yet the opposition can lay all over our guys because we are to big and slow to get up.. the ruck is to erratically judged and has changed immensely since round 1. We also have received only 1 penalty in the last 5 second halves of our games.. I feel that there's definitely a vendetta against us since the south's game

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should just mod the physics settings so that gravity is turned down when one of our 115kg forwards is trying to get up and play the ball.

We were missing 5 internationals, can we please keep things in perspective.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is why you look at the team like broncos forward pack who are light on feet yet very strong and all their games you watch this year their sets seem to go in fast forward. Broncos slowest forward you can say is adam blair yet he would look super quick if he plays alongside our forwards.
Let's see how good those same mobile forwards go after 60 minutes of Graham, Tolman, Pritchard, Eastwood, Kasiano, Klemmer and Browne at the other end of the 10m.

The dragons were all about their dynamic forwards and mobile pack until they lost to both the bunnies and us on dry tracks. Size still has a huge place in the game especially when it's coupled with late feet and the ability to offload, not to.mention huge motors.

We will dominate once we get our full compliment back and they play a couple of games together. Just you boys wait and see. I honestly believe we have one of the two best overall squads in the league at the moment (the other being the roosters) it's just a matter of keeping them on the park now.

If we've used up all our bad luck then we should make a run for the title.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The game will beome all backs with no forwards soon...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Interchanges are NOT reduced in 2016. It was an idea that was floated by the NRL and has still not been confirmed or denied either way.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

~cb.
I think the slow play the ball has been an issue for over two years!

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im with u billybob 100%

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
As devils advocate........ you get a tackle stat for jumping into any tackle in your area (at hooker, that tends to be quite a lot). Our forwards, as we all know are beyond solid, so, not to be unpopular here, but, tackle counts aren't the hardest stat for Lichaa to build up.

Lichaa is a very good young player, but, second in tackle stats on the back of the best forward pack in the league isn't quite enough for mine, I'm happy with him so far, but very much hoping for more to come, huge tackle counts at #9 in this club?..... good for you, you completed the easiest task in human history, now, Cam Smith isn't know for that one stat......... he does more, go forth and do more to Lichaa?

(side note: this thread has moved very much away from what the op actually said, which looked solid, but replies drag it back to the same tired old shit around here)

Status
Not open for further replies.