Des Hasler

Status
Not open for further replies.

jam3491

Waterboy
Reaction score
I can not believe the amount of criticism of our coach that happens on this site!

Since Des came across we have gone to 2 gf's. I understand we lost both but we could be in a far worst position.

Everyone wants to rip him for the Mbye/Reynolds/Hokko situation but I absolutely can not understand why.
First of all Mbye and Reynolds are the only 2 signed long term. So he hasn't even resigned Hokko and people are acting like he's about to throw Mbye out.

Secondly when our entire backline was fit (Souths game) Mbye was starting so lets not pretend he doesnt see what everyone else does.

Thirdly he is not afraid to show experienced players the door if younger ones are coming through, particularly halves. (Matt Orford, Travis Burns, Kris Keating).

I also see people getting up in arms about not giving youngsters a go. To be honest I think thats crap because our top 20 has 11 players who have made their NRL debut under Des (Lafai, Thompson, Reynolds, Jackson, Browne, Kasiano, Lloyd Perrett, Mbye, Esse'esse, Fuafolo, Klemmer). Thats 55% which is a very good rate.

Finally, the reality is Des is a winner end of story. We are 9th only a couple of wins outside the top 4 and have missed 6 or seven of our top players for multiple weeks this year.

So i think we should stop calling him arrogant and junior reluctant because its quite simply not true. Lets not become victims of our own success because I for one will not forget the shambles our team was 2010-2011 without him.

GO THE DOGGIES!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nice post Jam. I barely post on this site anymore because it's been so negative this year. I'd hate to see what the kennel was like if we supported a team as woeful as the Eels.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
No one doubts how good des is but he's not immune to poor decisions ,he is very set in his ways in particular with selections and with trex getting picked regardless of how poor hes played then we lose guys like finnucane/tapau thats no masterstroke from des im sorry.Im a massive fan of des as a coach and as a person but if being a loyal fan means only saying positive things regardless of your feelings or the teams performance fair go nothing wrong with having an opinion,most on here are passionate and know des is a gun coach and we are very lucky to have him but expressing opinions positive or negative isnt a bad thing ,i think most on hear fear jt mk2 with mbye but im sure des is smart enough i just hope he makes the right call and isnt too conservative

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Lafai, Reynolds and Kasiano started when Kevin Moore was coach. Josh reynolds had some stints in the 2011 season.

doggi3s

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we never had any injuries suspensions this year.. We would defs be a force

jam3491

Waterboy
Reaction score
No one doubts how good des is but he's not immune to poor decisions ,he is very set in his ways in particular with selections and with trex getting picked regardless of how poor hes played then we lose guys like finnucane/tapau thats no masterstroke from des im sorry.Im a massive fan of des as a coach and as a person but if being a loyal fan means only saying positive things regardless of your feelings or the teams performance fair go nothing wrong with having an opinion,most on here are passionate and know des is a gun coach and we are very lucky to have him but expressing opinions positive or negative isnt a bad thing ,i think most on hear fear jt mk2 with mbye but im sure des is smart enough i just hope he makes the right call and isnt too conservative
I understand this and i agree you have every right to give an opinion both ways.

But T-rex averages just under 90metres per game this year, whilst josh jackson averages just under 80m per game. T rex also has way more tackle breaks than jackson, he also gives away 0.6 and 0.5 errors and penalties, whilst jackson is at 0.8 and 0.4 per game. I understand he could be doing better based on potential but the facts are hes doing slightly more per game than jackson and people actually want him dropped??? come on

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I can not believe the amount of criticism of our coach that happens on this site!

Since Des came across we have gone to 2 gf's. I understand we lost both but we could be in a far worst position.

Everyone wants to rip him for the Mbye/Reynolds/Hokko situation but I absolutely can not understand why.
First of all Mbye and Reynolds are the only 2 signed long term. So he hasn't even resigned Hokko and people are acting like he's about to throw Mbye out.

Secondly when our entire backline was fit (Souths game) Mbye was starting so lets not pretend he doesnt see what everyone else does.

Thirdly he is not afraid to show experienced players the door if younger ones are coming through, particularly halves. (Matt Orford, Travis Burns, Kris Keating).

I also see people getting up in arms about not giving youngsters a go. To be honest I think thats crap because our top 20 has 11 players who have made their NRL debut under Des (Lafai, Thompson, Reynolds, Jackson, Browne, Kasiano, Lloyd Perrett, Mbye, Esse'esse, Fuafolo, Klemmer). Thats 55% which is a very good rate.

Finally, the reality is Des is a winner end of story. We are 9th only a couple of wins outside the top 4 and have missed 6 or seven of our top players for multiple weeks this year.

So i think we should stop calling him arrogant and junior reluctant because its quite simply not true. Lets not become victims of our own success because I for one will not forget the shambles our team was 2010-2011 without him.

GO THE DOGGIES!!
good post mate,

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I understand this and i agree you have every right to give an opinion both ways.

But T-rex averages just under 90metres per game this year, whilst josh jackson averages just under 80m per game. T rex also has way more tackle breaks than jackson, he also gives away 0.6 and 0.5 errors and penalties, whilst jackson is at 0.8 and 0.4 per game. I understand he could be doing better based on potential but the facts are hes doing slightly more per game than jackson and people actually want him dropped??? come on
The issue with T. rex isn't his stats. It's because everyone has seen what he can do and we rarely see it especially paying $600k+ you'd expect a bit more power from him. If we wanted a solid player we should have just kept finucane. If T. rex can some how find his mojo again consistently I doubt there'd be much negative people on here about him except for the haters. Pritchard is close to retirement and his playing with more energy and fire than T. rex.
But in regards to Hasler yeah people are just finding someone to blame, and in doing that they somehow forget the 2 grand finals he took us to which we could have won, Hasler isn't on the field so yeah.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nice post Jam. I barely post on this site anymore because it's been so negative this year. I'd hate to see what the kennel was like if we supported a team as woeful as the Eels.
That's it even when we win its oh we should have won by more.. Or this player was still ordinary.. I wonder how many people on here actually played footy, it gives an amount of respect for how good these players are..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Trex plays 80 minutes and based on your theory due to stats tolman should be on $600k come fairs fair trex under performs

Last edited by a moderator:

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des Hasler

Okay, so under Hasler's coaching we made two grand finals. In 2012 we were always on the back foot against the Storm and last year Hasler elected to play Hodkinson and Morris who both had debilitating knee injuries. Good judgement? No it wasn't.

Now to 2015.

* In attack we have had a flat backline with no penetration
* No variation or set plays in attack
* Our forwards run the ball one out for the first four plays in any set
* Hodkinson has still got a busted knee. He can't run - he can't kick - his goal kicking has slumped to a 65% success
* Reynolds? Unpredictable - can be a hero or villain. Usually the villain.
* Moses Mbye? The best half/five eighth in the club but Hasler wont use him unless he has to
* Our forwards? Argually on paper the best pack in the comp. But the game isn't played on paper - Their aggressiopn in attack and defence just comes and goes.

So right now Hasler is a dud coach. If he selected the right players in the positions they're best at and got them playing to their optimum, the seventeen players selected each week would make him a success.

Until that happens we'll be flat out making the eight.

Kayser

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Poor defence, poor attack, an out-of-form cripple for a halfback, a five eight who's had more brain explosions than I've had hot dinners, suspensions, injuries, and Dorothy. Not too many positives thus far. But it's not over yet. If we beat the Saints next Monday, we'll be playing finals football. If we lose, I think this year is over.

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
agree with all 100%.

GO THE DOGGIES!!

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
People also defended Kevin Moore,

Anyone who knows anything about football and looked at our style of play over the last 2 1/2 years with out their blue & white goggles on would not be happy with our style of play and the direction it is headed

Look at the squad Moore was left with when he got the arse of course some of our up and coming younger players were going to get a crack the following year as they already had massive wraps on them while playing u/20's while Moore was still coaching (dont forget Graham was a Moore signing and Des had him on the bench in his first year)

Des is expected to deliver each week and shiit i loved to put a team away one day so we can relax and enjoy the game (couldn't even do that at 26-0 against Canberra) Des has been handed hundreds of thousands of dollars for state of the art equipment & facilities that he wants, he has a bigger budget than any other NRL coach, so when you see our team out there each week playing with no direction, no desire, no game plan, no line speed, looking totally lost in attack and being carved up by players they should have been watching video of all week and been more prepared yes you do get frustrated not to mention teams with no facilities basically no budget can come out looking more drilled and better prepared

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. I don't know why so many people on here have it in for T rex. Maybe it is because he doesn't seem to fire up much but his stats are always OK. I guess everybody expects him to run through 4 or 5 defenders and score a try every week. Although I must say I wish he took the ball at full pace from time to time he would be much more damaging.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. I don't know why so many people on here have it in for T rex. Maybe it is because he doesn't seem to fire up much but his stats are always OK. I guess everybody expects him to run through 4 or 5 defenders and score a try every week. Although I must say I wish he took the ball at full pace from time to time he would be much more damaging.
His performance back at Manly > Now.

He used to rip through defenders. Now he is lucky to get through one.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
nice post jam. I barely post on this site anymore because it's been so negative this year. I'd hate to see what the kennel was like if we supported a team as woeful as the eels.

Status
Not open for further replies.