News Demons to Dogs: Canterbury's cross-code signing ready to unleash at Belmore

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He’s at the top of my excitement list for 2023
Both he and Reed Mahoney
Love for him to nab that right wing spot or right centre
Although it’s a lot easier easing into grade and defending on the wing instead of centre

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A right side of RFM, Flanagan, Skelton and Kiraz has some potential. Defence is the concern for me.
Could be OK.. still want Skelton or Kiraz inside JAC and Casey in the side.

CASEY
KIRAZ
SKELTON
JAC

BURNS WILL GET FIRST LOOK IN BUT I RECKON BY SEASONS END WE WILL LOOK LIKE THIS.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Could be OK.. still want Skelton or Kiraz inside JAC and Casey in the side.

CASEY
KIRAZ
SKELTON
JAC

BURNS WILL GET FIRST LOOK IN BUT I RECKON BY SEASONS END WE WILL LOOK LIKE THIS.
I wouldn’t discount alomiti either.

Throw in xerri for 24 and that’s not bad depth.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he'd be wasted on the wing to be honest. He's not the quickest bloke, but is a very powerful ball runner with an unusual running style actually.

I see him more the Talakai sort of mold.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Love it, Skelton is a beast !!!

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think Alamoti is more likely to start before Skelton. But second half of year would not surprise me to see back five as
Averillo
Kiraz
Skelton
Alamoti
JAC

in 2024 it will take some time for Xerri to find his feet, will not start in First Grade but will be up to him to replace one of them, as the season progresses.

seriously all we need is a top 7 and no reason why we can't be challenging right up the top 2024/2025.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I think Ala will debut at some point if needed but more likely to be in the mix in 24.

The Xerri signing was a weird one tbh though i think he will be a straight swap for Burns as I think he might be gone by then.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A new era is dawning at Belmore under rookie coach Cameron Ciraldo but amongst the hype of several marquee signings, a cross-code star is flying under the radar.

Rugby union convert Jeral Skelton had just six games to prove he deserved a spot in the Bulldogs top 30 after securing a train-and-trial contract in 2022, but after impressing with the NSW Cup side, will now turn his focus towards his NRL dream.

Proving his wares at centre with three tries, 42 tackle breaks and an average of 136 metres, the emerging outside back has found himself one step closer to an NRL debut where he will aim to feature in the blue and white alongside big-name recruits Viliame Kikau, Reed Mahoney and Ryan Sutton.
When the Bulldogs reached out, I also had the opportunity to go to Japan and play union, but I took the risk and signed the train and trial at the Bulldogs. It just felt like the right time for me," Skelton told NRL.com.

“I told my dad that if I made the switch to league then I’ll give everything I have to make the squad.

“There was a lot of uncertainty around my future but as soon as I made the decision to stay, I knew it was right. I just wanted to back myself and give it my all.

“Now I get a chance to do a pre-season with the top 30, an NRL debut is next year is definitely the goal.”

If you asked Skelton this time last year what he wanted to be, a Wallaby would have been his answer.

Growing up playing rugby league in Redcliffe, Skelton was first introduced to rugby playing for St Patrick’s College in Shorncliffe, where he went on to join the Melbourne Demons in the Australian Super Rugby competition.

Throughout all my junior footy I played league for the Albany Creek crushers, but as soon as I went to a private school that’s when I switched to rugby union,” he said

My dream when I was playing rugby (union) was to play as many Super Rugby games as possible and hopefully play for Australia one day. That was my end goal.

“But after doing my ACL and a few other injuries when I was playing for the Melbourne Rebels, I think that matured me as a player and I started to think about my future more.

“I’ve represented Australia in rugby sevens and always thought I wanted to play for the Wallabies but after being handed an opportunity in rugby league I thought it was now or never.”

An explosive centre, Skelton is doing everything he can to nail down a spot in Ciraldo’s top 17 and believes he has the “support crew” at Belmore to get there.

I would love to play centre and wing. Those two are the main positions that I’m aiming to play,” he said.

“I didn’t know league players as much but the players I look up to are more older players that have been around the club.

“Raymond Faitala-Mariner has been looking after me a lot and I’ve tried to learn as much as possible from him. Obviously, he plays in the forwards but he helps me around training if I ever need to get my head around something.

"Jayden Okunbor has also really looked after me. He took me under his wing as soon as I got here.

"I’m happy I made the switch to rugby league. I think I see myself playing league as long as possible."
Just to let the writer know, he never played for the Melbourne Demons as they are an AFL team. They got it right later saying Rebels, but why don't they have editors anymore?