Delusional Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
Liverpool threaten TV breakaway

Liverpool are prepared to lead a challenge for Premier League clubs to sell overseas television rights individually, according to managing director Ian Ayre.

The league's broadcast rights outside of the United Kingdom are presently sold in a joint package, which is worth £3.2 billion for 2010-13 to be shared equally among the 20 clubs.

But Ayre claims the system is unfair on the higher-profile clubs, arguing they attract more viewers and more subscriptions, and advocated the adoption of the Spanish model.

There, individual clubs have the freedom to negotiate their own packages, meaning Real Madrid and Barcelona's earnings will dwarf those of the lesser Primera Division teams - and those of the top English sides, who are restricted to their share of the league's earnings.

Ayre told the Guardian: ''Personally I think the game-changer is going out and recognising our brand globally. Maybe the path will be individual TV rights like they do in Spain.

''If you're a Bolton fan in Bolton, then you subscribe to Sky because you want to watch Bolton. But if you're in Kuala Lumpur there isn't anyone subscribing to Astro or ESPN to watch Bolton, or if they are it's a very small number. The large majority are subscribing to watch Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal.

''What we are actually doing is disadvantaging ourselves against other big European clubs. If Real Madrid or Barcelona or other big European clubs have the opportunity to realise their international media value potential, where does that leave Liverpool and Manchester United? We'll just share ours because we'll all be nice to each other? The whole phenomenon of the Premier League could be threatened.

''If they just get bigger and bigger and they generate more and more, then all the players will start drifting that way and will the Premier League bubble burst because we are sticking to this equal-sharing model? It's a real debate that has to happen.''

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/968451/liverpool-threaten-tv-rights-breakaway?cc=3436

lol liverpool still think they are a big club

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Liverpool are a huge club. Bad troll attempt.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Huge clubs win EPL titles
Not necessarily. You obviously don't know much about English football.

Chelsea are not a huge club and they have won EPL titles. City will soon win the title, but they aren't a big club.

LebaneseBulldog

Bulldogs
Reaction score
Liverpool is a massive club u trolling horse **** dog hahaha

Man u is probably the biggest club, well no doubt.

But if ur counting supporters, they have the biggest bandwagoners

i agree with book.

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
Anymore dumb troll arguments left?
the truth hurts about Liverpool

they are a joke club that couldnt even win the Europa League, come back when you win something scouser

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
if he isnt a lolpool fan why is he sticking up for the joke club

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to wade in, but this is a crazy debate.

There's a hundred different definitions of what is or is not a "big club" and hence a hundred different answers as who who deserves that tag.

Based on brand recognition, international appeal, history etc - Liverpool are one of the biggest ten or so clubs in the world. Based on the past couple of decades, they're less successful in their domestic league than Blackburn.

Chelsea and Manchester City are odd cases - both (relatively) little known outside the UK prior to recent (either starting in the mid 90s or mid 2000s respectively) spending sprees. They are now globally recognised names.

Why bother getting so worked up about a difference of definitions?!

(On a separate note, my choice of defining the "Big Four" of English football would be to include only those who had won the English Title three years in a row:

Arsenal
Liverpool
Manchester United...

Huddersfield Town.

I admit I may have a little bias in my selection criteria, but it's still a hell of a fact.)

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the truth hurts about Liverpool

they are a joke club that couldnt even win the Europa League, come back when you win something scouser
I'm not a scouser lol I just think it's silly to say Liverpool aren't a big club.

As for the actual TV deal, I'm not sure I'd like bigger clubs selling their rights inidivdually. Sure bigger clubs would generate more money, but where would that leave smaller teams? They are a huge part of what makes English football special.

Spanish football is such a one sided competition so I don't think using them as an example is good for promoting a point.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
are nottm forest a big club?
Interesting case, that. They were, of course, perhaps the best team in the world for 3 or 4 years in the late 70s and early 80s (although Liverpool may disagree). If you speak to people aged 35-50 from any corner of Europe, they will often cite Forest as one of the big clubs of European football. They haven't been in the top division in about a decade now, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.