Opinion Defensive Improvement

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeah very good defensive half, but then Foran adds points or set up try’s that Lewis doesn’t so goes other way too
Could you also put down most of Lewis games have been since dwz has been organising defensive line?
Or weaker or better teams?
Lots of variables, too many

But great insight, very good defender. He just looks so clunky in attack, no rythem
Lewis has played 3 games with DWS. The win-loss record of the Bulldogs when Lewis plays to when he doesn't play is telling.

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Those are the fundamentals yes. But where des went wrong was he thought it was a formula, in reality it’s a formula and what you do on top that wins games. Just holding onto the ball like we did does fucking nothing.
Don't disagree mate. Des loaded up in the forwards so he could keep hitting his targets neglecting the spine and outside backs who put the points on the board for you. He has a better balanced roster and balance 1-13 at manly now and has a side defensively digging in on defence, completing sets and scoring points. We were doing the first two but couldn't do the last one.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought our defence had improved over the last few weeks so I decided to do some digging and looked at some stats and the improvement is quite remarkable.

At the end of Round 15 we had conceded the most points in the competition with 350 and since then we have conceded only 70 more. So in that 5 week period we have had the 6th best defence going off points conceded. Prior to Round 15 we averaged 23.3 points against and since then its been 17.5.

It's no surprise that we have picked up more wins with tighter defence when we struggle to get more then 3 tries in attack. Now I hope I haven't jinxed us for this weekends game and we end up leaking points again!
I personally think our off season wasn't great and probably amateurish. The first half of the year our fitness and skill looked like a wooden spoon team. Over the past couple months we look fitter and a little faster hence your stats which kind of masks the shit we dished out up until then. It's almost a duplicate of last year and it's not good enough for a professional Club and team. For me the past couple months does not wash the hands clean of those in charge of the club and team as we should never settle to just make up the numbers

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The defence is certainly more focused. The players are now believing in themselves.
The main reason is the input from Steve Antonelli. He is the defensive coach and deserves the credit.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
The defence is certainly more focused. The players are now believing in themselves.
The main reason is the input from Steve Antonelli. He is the defensive coach and deserves the credit.
Sorry no offence but this block has been around since the start of 2018 and is one of Pay's mates, he isn't the reason we have suddenly worked out how to not leak 30 points a game.

DWZ and Lewis' recent inclusions are.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Says the glass half empty guy. Yawn yawn at your negativity. Any improvement or development over the course of a season is to be applauded. Go stick your head back in the oven.
Go take Pays nuts out of your mouth

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The litmus test is this weekend

Tigers had a two man bench plus a guy in the bin at one stage let’s not get too carried away

‘Break out the champagne ‘

How about we leave the cork in until we start the season better and God forbid make the 8 again

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah fuck Foran. I'd play him in NSW Cup.
I tend to agree
I think he needs to earn his spot back
The team have won 4 of last 6 games without him

He can’t just walk back into the team.