Opinion Defensive Improvement

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought our defence had improved over the last few weeks so I decided to do some digging and looked at some stats and the improvement is quite remarkable.

At the end of Round 15 we had conceded the most points in the competition with 350 and since then we have conceded only 70 more. So in that 5 week period we have had the 6th best defence going off points conceded. Prior to Round 15 we averaged 23.3 points against and since then its been 17.5.

It's no surprise that we have picked up more wins with tighter defence when we struggle to get more then 3 tries in attack. Now I hope I haven't jinxed us for this weekends game and we end up leaking points again!

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought our defence had improved over the last few weeks so I decided to do some digging and looked at some stats and the improvement is quite remarkable.

At the end of Round 15 we had conceded the most points in the competition with 350 and since then we have conceded only 70 more. So in that 5 week period we have had the 6th best defence going off points conceded. Prior to Round 15 we averaged 23.3 points against and since then its been 17.5.

It's no surprise that we have picked up more wins with tighter defence when we struggle to get more then 3 tries in attack. Now I hope I haven't jinxed us for this weekends game and we end up leaking points again!
With a lack of attacking ability our defence has to be on point to win games. I think we've improved alot in cover defence and desperation efforts.
Keeping an opposition to under 12 points is the only way we win games unfortunately

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
To bad it took almost 2 years to get something right that we should of focused on since day one. Defenitely think DWZ at fullback has helped improved our defence, not sure if it's because he's better at organising the defence or if the players just respond to him better. Napa and CHN have also stopped recklessly shooting out of the like idiots on every second tackle lol.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup defence tightened up last week, DWZ has been a great pick up also, cogger showed a good game. Couple more wins will be a good effort to finish 2019..!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The unfortunate by product of having a team that has spent most of their careers in the lower grades is that defence isn't close to quality down there. So I guess that it was always going to take some time for our defensive combinations to come good. Some of the players that have had 10+ games this season are probably just getting up to the pace of NRL now. But it appears that we are sliding in defence now as opposed to the attempted umbrella defence we started the year with.

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
It's what Des Hasler sides are built on. Its why he has been so successful for so long, his attention to detail in terms of completing 85% of sets and then defence being the backbone of his sides have continually worked across the last 10 years We just lacked the spine to put points on at the end of his tenure. Now he has a half decent spine in DCE, Api/Fainu and Turbo he is back humming again.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last week the goal line defence was outstanding. Panthers made plenty of ground up the field though. Lewis I thought was very good in defence and generates enthusiasm in the team. At times in attack the players were too bunched and need to spread out to thin the defensive line. One Lewis uo and under could have resulted in a try if the players had spread a bit more. But well deserved and tough win. Hopefully continues. Puzzled by who took the first two unsuccessful kicks at goal.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes our defence is better. DWZ at fullback has made a difference controlling our line also i have noticed especially last week lewis has made a big difference. Made some important tackles last week. I think lewis being in the team is a big factor

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Yes our defence is better. DWZ at fullback has made a difference controlling our line also i have noticed especially last week lewis has made a big difference. Made some important tackles last week. I think lewis being in the team is a big factor
Spot on, Lewis is a major factor, and DWZ organising the line to a small extent.

Our defence was good last week. Not necessarily the 4 weeks befofe that.

The game against the Broncos our defence was atrocious. And similarly against the Roosters, no idea how they didn't put 30 on us in that first half.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Defence looks good when season is over

This should’ve been sorted prior to round one

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Early this season across all grades. including jun reps, it seemed that the dogs got something wrong in the pre season re defence - whetherit was strength training or technique something didn't work. Too many defneders, who in previous seasons were considered good defenders were being dominated and falling off tackles - no hit and stick. Has improved.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly why we currently need Lewis in the team. He might not be what the team needs in a few years time, but for now, his defence is what helps keep us in the game.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly why we currently need Lewis in the team. He might not be what the team needs in a few years time, but for now, his defence is what helps keep us in the game.
He made some important tackles last week i am glad his back in the side

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The unfortunate by product of having a team that has spent most of their careers in the lower grades is that defence isn't close to quality down there. So I guess that it was always going to take some time for our defensive combinations to come good. Some of the players that have had 10+ games this season are probably just getting up to the pace of NRL now. But it appears that we are sliding in defence now as opposed to the attempted umbrella defence we started the year with.
That's not true at all. The majority of our team has played 50 or more first grade games. Lewis may be inexperienced but he's one of our best defenders. The injection of DWZ has just helped more many reasons, one simple one being the more good players you have the higher your potential ceiling.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's not true at all. The majority of our team has played 50 or more first grade games. Lewis may be inexperienced but he's one of our best defenders. The injection of DWZ has just helped more many reasons, one simple one being the more good players you have the higher your potential ceiling.
The forward pack has mostly been round for a reasonable number of games. Our backline on one side are all relatively new to the NRL. I'd hazard a guess that most of the points leaked have been on the least experienced wing. At times it can be as simple as one player going up in the line leaving one or two others in a position where they're outnumbered by attacking opponents. It doesn't need to be the whole team making a poor decision to create a gap. One or two players that lack experience alongside one another can mean plenty of issues are occurring.

Reactions: DT

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
To shut a team down with athleticism for the 80 is a big ask.
The urgency comes from desire based on reasons, we probably have that.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dwz organising our defensive line has been the changing factor