Defending Offloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luatootz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This week our season goes on the line in a blockbuster fixture against recent arch nemesis the Eels! The unfortunate aspect to this fixture is that the Eels have found form through the J Hayne train but alot of their success can be attirbuted to their ability to keep the ball in play or alive. Now, my question is why is our team inept when it comes to defending off loads? If you trough throuh tapes on games we lost this season, alot of them is due to our failure to stop the 2nd phase, in fact our losses last year against the Eels and more specifically the GF qualifier could be put down to the fact we cannot stop the 2nd phase footy effectively, even the Warriors got on top this season when we got pipped!

The chooks scored a couple of tries throwing the ball around last Sunday.
When will we learn to stop the 2nd phase? it s frustrating seeing us get numbers in the tackle yet see a ball get popped back by someone as average as Daniel Conn!

FFS , who is our D coach? wrap the effen ball up man!!! else it will be a cake walk come friday night by those slippery omo Eels!!>:(

hotdiggitydogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The Offloads isn’t out biggest problem
It’s our kick chase and our kicking game.
If we can’t kick the ball out as much as we can, and we allow Hayne to catch it on the full with no pressure then we will never be able to stop their momentum.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
hayne is a cat, if the forwards hit him hard early on in the game, thats it for hayne

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
hayne is a cat, if the forwards hit him hard early on in the game, thats it for hayne
If they can get to him to hit him, I hate parra more then anything on this earth but even i know that he is a fkn gun player.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yeah the lack of stopping the second phase play annoys me also but I think the failure of our season is more down to a very average attitude from players and coach. Moore waiting too long with a string of loses before changing the team around, most of the players for not having a genuine go until there were like 8 games left and a miracle required just to get to the finals. You really cant expect to play the comp like that and be successful. But thats footy as they say and although I am one-eyed doggies man you still have to think about the reasons why? GO the dogs for the rest of the season and lets hope we can keep some teams from making the 8 themselves. The boys will be back next year and lets hope all concerned are going to be better for the lows of this season and have a better crack next year!

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Offloads isn’t out biggest problem
It’s our kick chase and our kicking game.
If we can’t kick the ball out as much as we can, and we allow Hayne to catch it on the full with no pressure then we will never be able to stop their momentum.
I think it's a combination of not having the technique or structure to stop the offloads AND our poor kicking game that explains so much of the disappointing season. And, yes, our kick-chase isn't up to standard either.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Wrapping up the the ball has been a problem for a long time, not just this year

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrapping up the the ball has been a problem for a long time, not just this year
Spot on! I would have thought it would have been addressed as a priority. I sure hope someone from the club's coaching staff reads this.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Eels will be full of confidence and be willing to try their hand at second phase play at every opportunity possible.

The desire to shut it down will be tough as we have struggled many times before. MUST Wrap up the ball.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
against the Eels in last years final we knew damn well that to win we needed to stop the off loads and we still couldn't do it .We haven't been able to get on top of this cancer for 2 years and why it hasn't been addressed is a really poor oversight form the Doggies coaching staff responsible for it.Let's hope the penny drops or we'll be watching someone elses team in the Finals Yay. I miss the days of building wins on defence and having a reputation for it

Status
Not open for further replies.