Death of the newspaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
I work with Fairfax, the guy is pretty much spot on with everything about SMH but Im surprised for the guy that has worked with the company did not expand further on the printing side of the business...

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
thanks for the link. was a good read. it is the way of the world, the system we have in place

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the initiative of the Fairfax family to report news/current affairs framed around the proviso of 'Sworn to no Master, of no Sect am I' --- it'll be interesting when all the 'rich' folk own how we are fed media....maybe not as interesting as the unauthorised Rinehart biography .... we wait!

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the rich folk already do own how we are fed media

i switched off the tv a long time ago and the only time i look in a newspaper these days is for another job hunting option (besides online) or for the league info online

there is a vested interest to misinform the public, for a few reasons

dogslyfe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fairfax failed because it is extreme left leaning and only appeals to the feral minority now (as evidence by their share price)

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
The new papers print what ever they like and have no one to answer to when they get it wrong I hope they all die

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
this was sent to all the Fairfax staff on the weekend

‘This week Fairfax Media announced plans to strengthen our newspapers. I would like to make sure you hear the story straight from us.

NEW FORMAT

The Sydney Morning Herald and The Sun-Herald will move to Fairfax’s smaller print sites and we will close our Chullora plant in two years.

What does this have to do with sustaining our journalism? Everything. This network can print the same high quality at much lower costs, vital for us to be strong to withstand whatever the winds of media change will throw at us.

In fact, it will give us an advantage. We believe in print and we believe this is a smart initiative.

NEW NEWSROOMS

The newsrooms of The Sydney Morning Herald, The Sun-Herald and their sister titles (in Melbourne) will be reorganised to work as one. The mission, however, remains the same: independent journalism that makes a difference to the communities we serve and helps explain the world around them. Some jobs will be lost, which we regret, as some duplication is removed. We are working with our staff to plan this carefully.

NEW SUBSCRIPTIONS

We’ll introduce digital subscriptions for the SMH website, smartphones and tablet editions early next year.
Print subscribers will receive full digital access in their packages if they have home delivery on two or more days a week.

Far from walking away from newspapers, this will help fuel new interest in them at the same time as bolstering our digital business.

We start from a great position: The SMH is Australia’s number 1 news site, the number 1 news mobile website by a wide margin and the number 1 newspaper tablet by an even wider margin.

We will always welcome casual visitors to our sites – we simply ask those readers who love us and read us a lot on line to subscribe.

This is the best way you can help us thrive.

We’ve been humbled this week by your tens of thousands (literally) of messages of support for our independence and the role we play in your lives.

Every time you buy a paper, visit our sites, use our apps or place an ad you help us deliver the important stuff that no-one else does.

Now more than ever we value your support.

JACK MATTHEWS
Fairfax Media Metropolitan Division CEO

PETER CHRISTOPHER
Fairfax Metro Media

General Manager and Publisher
Fairfax Community Media, NSW,

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
ahhh yes. the downsizing.

now more than ever we value your support.....til we make you redundant too. if we're not gonna outsource you, we're gonna automate you. a multi-million dollar corporation, making hideous profit....but we must let you go and put you on the unemployment scrapheap, else we don't please the shareholder. but please, the company needs you. be a company person. you will always just be a ****ing number, expendable, but don't let that deter you.

the system at its finest lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
These days I only ever read SMH online. I find it's the best online news paper with less bias and BS like the Terrorgraph.

Oldsage

Oldsage
Reaction score
Fairfax failed because it is extreme left leaning and only appeals to the feral minority now (as evidence by their share price)
I reckon you must be talking about those left leaning pinko journos like Paul Sheehan, Gerard Henderson,Michele Gratten,Peter Hartcher,Peter Costello, Amanda Vanstone etc etc with bolshies like that writing the stories Tony Abbott hasn't got a chance.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Yes and Murdoch papers are right-wing propogandists intent on misinforming the working classes who should naturally be voting against right-wing interests. :rolleyes:

If that doesn’t sound too much like Evita.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If the media just printed feel good articles and not all this doom and gloom stuff, then we would live in a better place and people would have a positive vibe and outlook on life, work and everything in general.

Its all this negative crap they print that scare and make people panic and worry...

Anyway, in a couple of years, we will be paying to read all news articles online.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
They'll make you strong like Popeye. Popeye, papayin. Popeye, papayin. See, same thing same... Ah, forget it.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't call me Mr. Scorpion. It's Mr. Scorpio but don't call me that either.

dogslyfe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fairfax denied Gina three seats on the board that she wanted due to 'editorial independence'. I hope she dumps her shares into oblivion ASAP to see the death of fairfax- that far left leaning bias newspaper.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i hope gina keeps importing workers from other countries at reduced income, rather than work on proper training programs to get australians trained up into the skilled role shortages in the north west shelf with long awaited clear pathways into the resource industries of mining, oil and gas. great stuff from the corporates, despite their multi-billion dollar profit margins to easily afford to fund these programs out of their loose change really

the last thing we need is corrupt corporations controlling 'news' selections more than they already do. it's bad enough these media corporations are corrupt as **** as well. all the same to me

Status
Not open for further replies.