News Dean Ritchie-Case For Gould They had to try something

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This performance by the guys will be telling. There's a few things going on and how the players react will tell us a lot.

Barrett says in mid week presser that with Jacko out, the other forwards must step up and do more...said it with more menace than just stating the obvious.

Gus has already done a few video sessions with the team the coach tells us. Looks like they have listened (a bit) with improved performance for half a game lately. Still not good enough from them tho.

The players have now heard from Baz, Gus AND Chairman Khoury that the Gus step up into the day to day coaching, to assist, is thoroughly endorsed by the Club and that 1-7 is not good enough and the pressure is on officially from the club and unofficially from the relentless Newscorpse media.

Our players know now, unequivocally, after JK's statement, that means Gus holds the purse strings and therefore their footy career.

If they don't ALL put 100% into tomorrows game then in will say a lot about the calibre of player we have. They will be in effect telling Gus, Barrett, Khoury, the Club and us supporters that they don't have respect for the club, the Admin and staff and dont have the respect or willingness to give 100% for their team mate beside them under all this pressure.

And have no fierce resolve to avoid defeat.

With the hoopla firmly on Gus etc and the club's poor results, the players MUST stand up for the full 80 minutes they are paid for.

A loss will be devastating after the harsh spotlight this week...but...a pathetic, mistake riddled, ill disciplined effort will be catastrophic and say so much about where we are as a football team, the players, the coach and even the effectiveness of Phil Gould with this roster, and the hard reality of what further steps will need to be implemented by the bloke brought here to fix a broken football club.

We may not win, and, if beaten by a better team, we can live with that ..
if a better performance is there... but if its a bumbling, mistake riddled, ill disciplined effort like in the past games, its just impossible to imagine where that leaves the players and their relationship with coaching staff and GM of Football. Shot to bits on every front I guess.

C'mon guys you can all do better.
Well said. This weeks game will be very interesting to watch for a number of different reasons

It sounds like Gus has drawn the proverbial line in the sand, given the team a well deserved rocket up their backsides, and put the ball firmly in the players court. They get to respond tomorrow at 5.30pm.

I imagine Gus will be closely watching which players positively respond and show the specific qualities that he is looking for

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
This performance by the guys will be telling. There's a few things going on and how the players react will tell us a lot.

Barrett says in mid week presser that with Jacko out, the other forwards must step up and do more...said it with more menace than just stating the obvious.

Gus has already done a few video sessions with the team the coach tells us. Looks like they have listened (a bit) with improved performance for half a game lately. Still not good enough from them tho.

The players have now heard from Baz, Gus AND Chairman Khoury that the Gus step up into the day to day coaching, to assist, is thoroughly endorsed by the Club and that 1-7 is not good enough and the pressure is on officially from the club and unofficially from the relentless Newscorpse media.

Our players know now, unequivocally, after JK's statement, that means Gus holds the purse strings and therefore their footy career.

If they don't ALL put 100% into tomorrows game then in will say a lot about the calibre of player we have. They will be in effect telling Gus, Barrett, Khoury, the Club and us supporters that they don't have respect for the club, the Admin and staff and dont have the respect or willingness to give 100% for their team mate beside them under all this pressure.

And have no fierce resolve to avoid defeat.

With the hoopla firmly on Gus etc and the club's poor results, the players MUST stand up for the full 80 minutes they are paid for.

A loss will be devastating after the harsh spotlight this week...but...a pathetic, mistake riddled, ill disciplined effort will be catastrophic and say so much about where we are as a football team, the players, the coach and even the effectiveness of Phil Gould with this roster, and the hard reality of what further steps will need to be implemented by the bloke brought here to fix a broken football club.

We may not win, and, if beaten by a better team, we can live with that ..
if a better performance is there... but if its a bumbling, mistake riddled, ill disciplined effort like in the past games, its just impossible to imagine where that leaves the players and their relationship with coaching staff and GM of Football. Shot to bits on every front I guess.

C'mon guys you can all do better.
For goodness sake it's a Saturday arvo game of footy. The new opiate of the proletariat. We ain't playing for sheep stations. Should we circle the wagons and bring out the nukes? I'm scared of going to the game now for fear of seeing grown men cry if we happen to lose this game.
Perspective is a wonderful thing. There's no line in the sand. Lets not create stupid pressure and unrealistic expectation. Enjoy the contest.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
For goodness sake it's a Saturday arvo game of footy. The new opiate of the proletariat. We ain't playing for sheep stations. Should we circle the wagons and bring out the nukes? I'm scared of going to the game now for fear of seeing grown men cry if we happen to lose this game.
Perspective is a wonderful thing. There's no line in the sand. Lets not create stupid pressure and unrealistic expectation. Enjoy the contest.
You don't think its a line in the sand, fair enough, but it won't be a good place nevertheless ...in light of this weeks developments involving Gus and JK where our poor results have been ramped up.

The pressure is definately on and the expectation is not unrealistic. Mindset should be we are there to win: not just to enjoy the contest. Our downfall from top competitive, entertaining team has caused a lot of us to either become alcoholics AND/OR cry :grinning: Nevermind the nukes but definately we should circle the wagons :grinning:

All good DT. I don't think you read this part of my rant tho :grinning:

"We may not win, and, if beaten by a better team, we can live with that ..

C'mon guys you can all do better."

In other words, if the players dont perform better after all this bagging from Newscorpse of Gus for having more involvement, and Barrett and Chairman supporting that added involvement, then it will be very telling from the players. 100% effort and 80 minute effort is rightly expected from the players.

I believe if we play like dummies that will be again blown up in the media, with the effect of putting the club further under the microscope and undermining the Admin and coaching staff by Newscorpse for this weeks 360 show and daily papers and on-line with them saying the players don't improve with Gus' input either.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well said. This weeks game will be very interesting to watch for a number of different reasons

It sounds like Gus has drawn the proverbial line in the sand, given the team a well deserved rocket up their backsides, and put the ball firmly in the players court. They get to respond tomorrow at 5.30pm.

I imagine Gus will be closely watching which players positively respond and show the specific qualities that he is looking for
What you've written mate is the ONLY way this can be handled.

Not one of our players has played to their capabilities or skill set.

Ok the coach is a dud with various selections, plays and seemingly non-existent game plans that dont best utilise his players strengths.

But these guys cant blame him for not showing basic handling and the required skill sets for their positions and place in the team. Burton is the best example for mine. Barrett not helping the guy but there is no way Barrett is stopping him from being more of an influence in the game. He is capable of dominating a game in the Staggs, Hastings and Hynes mould even with this Penrith style Barrett has introduced.

It will be very interesting to see how the players react.

Us supporters can either feel relieved that the players can get themselves motivated for the club and coaches and GM Football (who hires and fires after all) or we will see they are a bunch of nuffies who can't rise to the occassion under these trying circumstances and the competitive pressure.

I hope they pass with flying colours and stand up with a much improved performance they, and all of us, can be proud of.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's right.. It's ridiculous that Gus is getting criticised for trying to change a losing culture. They should be criticising Baz for letting it get to this point and not having the balls to do it himself.
When you see the media sharks circling your coach and players, what do you do?

Well Gus pulls a stunt to make them look at him instead.

Skeletor couldn’t have done it better himself

Reaction score
as much as i hate the media constantly going at us, at least they do.

when they say nothing you become irrelevant - just look at the warriors, let in 70 points and nothing is said

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You don't think its a line in the sand, fair enough, but it won't be a good place nevertheless ...in light of this weeks developments involving Gus and JK where our poor results have been ramped up.

The pressure is definately on and the expectation is not unrealistic. Mindset should be we are there to win: not just to enjoy the contest. Our downfall from top competitive, entertaining team has caused a lot of us to either become alcoholics AND/OR cry :grinning: Nevermind the nukes but definately we should circle the wagons :grinning:

All good DT. I don't think you read this part of my rant tho :grinning:

"We may not win, and, if beaten by a better team, we can live with that ..

C'mon guys you can all do better."

In other words, if the players dont perform better after all this bagging from Newscorpse of Gus for having more involvement, and Barrett and Chairman supporting that added involvement, then it will be very telling from the players. 100% effort and 80 minute effort is rightly expected from the players.

I believe if we play like dummies that will be again blown up in the media, with the effect of putting the club further under the microscope and undermining the Admin and coaching staff by Newscorpse for this weeks 360 show and daily papers and on-line with them saying the players don't improve with Gus' input either.
Well we answered that challenge the best way possible tonight. Great job guys.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Gus really does cop it. Can only assume, especially by the comments, that they all can't stomach the idea of us being successful again.

20220502_064353.jpg

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Media have gone to shit, never seen a bunch of try hards attack a wooden spoon recovery so savagely, they are shitting themselves, I believe that the influence of Gus will turn this club quicker than anyone else in the NRL, it takes more than a single coach with the political shit at Belmore to get some lift off it is a huge undertaking. So far the media is undermining the club stands out like dogs balls.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate if we win against the Roosters and then don't back it up with a couple more very soon then Barrett is still on the chopping block. Still, if you are a true fan you ALWAYS want them to win no matter what the circumstances are.
Barrett only needed to back up the win against Roosters to restore faith but not even that win was all his doing and Gus knows the team has potential. Barrett just couldn't get it out of them