News Dean Pay’s vision for Dallin Watene-Zelezniak sealed Bulldogs deal

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dean Pay sold Dallin Watene-Zelezniak his vision for Canterbury over a $3.50 flat white coffee at a Concord cafe – and it didn’t involve playing fullback.

According to Penrith officials, Watene-Zelezniak’s release was partly due to the flyer’s desire to only play at the back when the club viewed him as a winger.

It’s a suggestion the ex-Panther swiftly dismissed when he paraded in Bulldogs colours for the first time in front of media on Thursday.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak on his first day with the Bulldogs. Picture. Phil Hillyard
MORE NRL NEWS

Instead Watene-Zelezniak credits a family focused Pay for convincing him to join Canterbury despite interest from the Wests Tigers, North Queensland and Parramatta.

The pair met at a Concord café two weeks ago to nut out a deal, where talk about DWZ’s favoured position was high on the agenda.

“I reassured Dean that it has come out that I want to play fullback or I’ll kick up a stink but that has never been the case,” said Watene-Zelezniak, who has been named in the centres for his Canterbury debut against the Roosters on Sunday.

“I’ll play anywhere and wherever the coach wants me to play and what is best for the team.

“I’ve always said I prefer fullback because I played there when I was young and I’ve had a lot of fun there.

The former Panther defended his relationship with Ivan Cleary. Picture: Mark Evans
“I’m not sure what Penrith are saying but out of respect to them I won’t say anything.

“I’ve got a lot of mates at that club, plus a brother who I love a lot.

“Ivan also gave me my debut and the club has given me a start in life that not many 23-year-olds have.

“But Penrith’s in my past now but I’ll always be grateful and respect them.”

Watene-Zelezniak said leaving Penrith – where he spent almost a decade - was the hardest decision in his career.

He said being dropped from all grades at the Panthers was particularly frustrating but he tried to stay positive.

“It was tough but I was just thinking that if I’m not going to be around here at Penrith there will be another club like the Bulldogs who want me,” he said.

“I still had to keep myself fit because if a club is taking a chance on me then they deserve me at my best.

“Now I’m at the Bulldogs I have to keep training my butt off just like I would have done at the Panthers.

“The Bulldogs have taken a chance on me and I owe them a lot.”

It could be argued why would Watene-Zelezniak join a last-placed Canterbury side that is deep in a rebuilding phase.

But the New Zealand Test skipper says coach Pay left him with no choice but to link with the Bulldogs.

“Dean just reassured me how much the club was interested in me and their plans going forward,” he said.

Watene Zelezniak said playing fullback isn’t everything for him. Picture: Hannah Peters
“He also spoke about their culture and how much they believe in family.

“I’m a father of two children and married, so my family was my main priority going into this decision.

“After the meeting with Dean I knew that I could do a job here for him.

“It was very appealing what he was saying.

“There were a few clubs in the mix but at the end of the day the decision that I’ve made with the Bulldogs is one of the happiest and best decisions I’ve ever made.”

Watene-Zelezniak will commute from Penrith to Belmore for the rest of the season before moving closer during the off-season.

And while donning Canterbury’s blue and white instead of Penrith’s black will take some getting used to, the Kiwi speedster is ready for the challenge.

“One thing in life that people fear is change but I’m looking forward to change to see where it takes my family,” he said.

“It is different colours but I feel good in the blue and white.

“It is a privilege to be here at such an amazing club.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/171d49f40ecc48af8c7fed55b741d603

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like what I'm hearing, but I can't help but feel this story has been setup from the top of our club.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why is he talking up pay I'm confused lol
1 - Because he hasn't been coached by him yet
2 - Pay told him to say these things if he wants to be in his good books
3 - Elliot the Idiot explained how he has to bend over if he wants a starting spot.

Can I just say if the kid is doing this for family reason's wouldn't a 18 month contract sound pretty shit in regards to security?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dean Pay and vision don't belong in the same sentence.
C'mon now.. Don't you think constantly giving the ball to one of the best attackers in rugby league history in Addo-Carr for DEFENCE is genius??

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
1 - Because he hasn't been coached by him yet
2 - Pay told him to say these things if he wants to be in his good books
3 - Elliot the Idiot explained how he has to bend over if he wants a starting spot.

Can I just say if the kid is doing this for family reason's wouldn't a 18 month contract sound pretty shit in regards to security?
And it worked hes now named at fb lol

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
$3.50 for a flat white seems a bit steep

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He didn't really have much of an option tbh.

Terrible tigers...

Pathetic Parra...

NORTH North Qld...

And us..
Lol still glad we have him. Be nice if he has a good game first up.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Surely he's been told DP won't be our coach for long? Why else would he sign with us? Lol