David Stagg prepares to show coach Des Hasler he is worthy of a new Bulldogs contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
http://news.google.com.au/news/stor...sult&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CDYQqgIwAA

FORMER Broncos premiership-winning star David Stagg wants to finish his NRL career at the Bulldogs, but first has to convince new coach Des Hasler of his worth.

Stagg comes off contract at the end of the 2012 season and at 28 believes he has at least another three years left at the top level.

The former Queensland State of Origin utility has backed the Bulldogs to make the finals next season after a disappointing 2011, and if the workaholic lock is part of a dramatic climb up the ladder, a new deal should be a formality.

"We believe we have the roster to make the eight," Stagg told The Courier-Mail yesterday. "We thought the same thing before the start of the 2011 season, and that's why we were so disappointed with the way things turned out.

"Towards the end of the year we assessed the changes we needed to make and started playing the style which suited our roster."

The Bulldogs won five of their last seven matches and only missed out on the finals on percentages, with Newcastle ultimately finishing eighth.

Stagg, who played centre for Brisbane in their 2006 grand final win over Melbourne, said some of the changes implemented by Hasler since his arrival from Manly had been "a shock to the system."

Fellow Queenslander Ben Barba tweeted last month that he had never felt so exhausted and told friends it was pointless asking him to go out on the town after training.

"I've never done two field sessions on the one day until now," Stagg said. "I think a lot of the boys are in the same boat. It's not that it's so much harder. It's just that things are split up into shorter, sharper sessions, which I think is the way to go."

The turmoil at Canterbury this year, with the resignation of coach, Kevin Moore; the appointment of Jim Dymock as his replacement, then Hasler's arrival after he was sacked by Manly, is something foreign to Stagg who played six seasons at the Broncos under the coaching of Wayne Bennett.

"It's been a whirlwind six months, if that's the way to put it," Stagg said. "When Des arrived it was like having your first day at school again.

"Obviously it's an important year, not just for me, because a number of other players are coming off contract.

"With a new coach on board there are plenty of people wanting to impress and do everything right. Hopefully I've got a few years left, and I would like to stay at the club. I've enjoyed my time here."

Stagg knows he has to maintain high standards, particularly as he tips big things for under-20s lock Dale Finucane from Bega, who has been promoted to the NRL squad.

"There are a lot of good backrowers coming through," Stagg said. "Josh Jackson is a Junior Kangaroo and another top prospect."

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
lol what are you doing up at this sort of time, go to sleep ffs

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
haha I fell asleep at five pm last night. old nanna I am.

watchuuu doing Roddy?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
haha I fell asleep at five pm last night. old nanna I am.

watchuuu doing Roddy?
actually im about to go to see the doctor today because while i was checking for testicular cancer in the shower i noticed my balls are really big, so i just want to show the doctor to get some admiration

anyways regarding stagg, he doesnt need to show anything because we already know what he will bring to the table and it is good enough imo

he is like a kitchen sponge tbh, its very handy to have one around to clean and absorb everything up

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully he has a good season next year and stays at the bulldogs, great person, great footballer.. There is a reason my number on the back of the jersey is 13 :grinning:

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You train hard and the fight is easy! Hard work and dedication!! Its good that Des is pumping the boys in training.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
David Stagg prepares to show coach Des Hasler he is worthy of a new Bulldogs contract

When David Stagg played under Kevin Moore he looked like he was on life suppoet. Then along came Jimmy Dymock... Stagg came alive and after a few matches fired in attack and defence. Stagg is a very tough, body on the line player so in 2012 with Des Hasler in charge and Dymock as his assistant the Bulldogs might end up with one of the best locks in the NRL.

evo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'd like to see Finucane and Jackson get a run they are both long term future stars for the club

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score

When David Stagg played under Kevin Moore he looked like he was on life suppoet. Then along came Jimmy Dymock... Stagg came alive and after a few matches fired in attack and defence. Stagg is a very tough, body on the line player so in 2012 with Des Hasler in charge and Dymock as his assistant the Bulldogs might end up with one of the best locks in the NRL.
When Stagg played under Kevin Moore he was Daly M Lock of the Year

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much prefer Halatau at lock when fit and healthy. Stagg is great in defence but doesn't seem to leave enough energy in the tank to do anything with the pill. One dimensional IMO, however he has been much more potent in attack in the past maybe it actually was Moore's fault.

I love Halatau because he's so dynamic. He can play at hooker, centre, wing, back row, lock. Kind of guy you want in your 17 every week.

The.X.Factor

Forum Maniac
Reaction score
Tbh if Stagg staying means letting some of our true juniors go then I do not care if he leaves, he has been of great service to the club but I would rather see a junior get a run at lock.

Moust

Waterboy
Reaction score
I'd like to see Finucane and Jackson get a run they are both long term future stars for the club
me too, theyll probably be blooded this year with aims for them to be in our starting pack in a year or 2. would love to have finucane and jackson starting and then throw on frank and the beast off the bench (would be the priciest bench ever, but imagine the impact!)

holbi

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
I like Stagg, he's a real goer, but I reckon next year will be his last with the Dogs. We have too many good back rowers already and Finucane and Jackson are just going to compound that (nice) problem. Maybe Stagg should give moving back to the centres a go, he's reasonably quick and couldn't be any worse than Wright IMO. Anyhow, good luck to him, he's a champion.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
with stagg in the team, what he lacks in attack he more then makes up for in defence, and with hasler working hard on attack it will suit the team to have stagg playing, i hope he gets a new contract

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
Read between the lines ladies and gents... things have been shaken up at the Bulldogs with the introduction of Desi.. ALL FOR THE GOOD.... ALL FOR THE BETTER.... I AM EXCITED.

P

Paint.

I want Stagg at the club, but I'd prefer the likes of Finucane and Jackson in the team over him...

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
personally id rather drop both stagg and halatau and find a really good lock forward

both of em are pretty average when compared to most locks in the game such as

heighton
gallen
harison
hinchcliffe
anasta
stewart

i mean come on we are probably in the bottom 2

pick between either stagg or halatau whoever comes cheaper then nuture a junior you also have payne who can play lock easy

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see who manages to stay in the side and who emerges under the Hasler regime. While i am a fan of Stagg i'd hope he's closer to his lock of the year title of a couple of seasons ago as i though he was pretty quiet in attack last season. He's still one of our more active defenders but i think the lock position requires someone who can take on the line a bit. Good luck to him.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
i think the man is worth the new contract....every team needs a player like him imo...hopefully we can get the best out him under hasler

Status
Not open for further replies.