David Penna is poised to become Canterbury’s new assistant coach under Des Hasler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
The Daily Telegraph understands Hasler is still sifting through a list of candidates after Kelly Egan, who had been with Hasler at Manly and Canterbury for eight seasons, quit to join Wests Tigers as the club’s general manager of football.

No final decision has been made on Egan’s replacement at Belmore but it is understood that Penna, who had already been appointed the Bulldogs’ NSW Cup coach, is an early favourite.

Signing Egan is a strong strategic move by the Tigers, who now have a direct insight into the successful processes and methods used by Hasler and Canterbury.

media_cameraPenna has previously acted as Geoff Toovey’s assistant at Manly.
Hasler, who declined to comment yesterday, has now lost Egan, recruitment manager Noel Cleal, sports scientist Liz Marin and sprint coach Clayton Kearney from this year’s coaching staff.

Penna played twice at Parramatta and also with Souths during a 124-game first grade career between 1990 and 2000.

He was previously a Holden Cup coach and first-grade assistant at Manly, and once coached Italy.

Egan will start work at Concord in the first week of December.

“He (Egan) has an extensive rugby league background from a number of clubs and we look forward to him bringing that knowledge to Wests Tigers,” Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said.

media_cameraDavid Penna during his playing days.
“He comes to us knowing what it takes, both on and off the field, to get a club deep into the finals. As well as being an integral part of Wests Tigers’ administration team Kelly will also be an important mentor for our young players, which is crucial in their continued development.”

Egan’s charter will also be to create a hardworking culture at the club.

“This is a great opportunity for me to grow with the playing group and continue to build on what was a strong back half of the 2016 season,” said Egan, a former North Sydney Bears centre.

“Key to the club’s success will be keeping this great group of young players together and I look forward to working with all of them.

media_cameraPenna has also coached the Italian national side.
“I feel really confident about this position and moving onto the next chapter of my career with Wests Tigers. This role is really dynamic and has a range of touch points both across the organisation and across the game and I look forward to getting to work with the club.”

Egan replaces Mark O’Neill, whose contact was terminated. During a long rugby league career, Egan was coach of the Junior Kangaroos in 2012, 2013 and 2014. He was also Manly’s assistant coach between 2009 and 2011 and was North Queensland’s general manager between 2006 and 2008.

Hasler has reached the NRL finals for 12 successive seasons yet somehow found himself under pressure from Canterbury’s board several months ago.

He comes off contact after next season but is in ongoing talks with the club about a two-year extension.

Source:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y/news-story/27c72dd3e4f03fd6641b030cca2ac3a5

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"Signing Egan is a strong strategic move by the Tigers, who now have a direct insight into the successful processes and methods used by Hasler and Canterbury"

Lol :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just throw some more pokies cash and bring Dean Pay over

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
unless you've been through the manly talent identification program we wont sign you it seems..........honestly its a daily battle to stay interested in this club I have supported my entire life

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Signing Egan is a strong strategic move by the Tigers, who now have a direct insight into the successful processes and methods used by Hasler and Canterbury
Shows how fucked the Tigers are, that they aspire to be consistently average. Maybe they could take hasler too ? Fucken idiots would think they've pulled off some sort of coup.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier if Rae Rae and Des go to Manly than to slowly ship the whole club to us?

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Bob Fulton to sign on as coaching director, Geoff Toovey to run the Water, bulldogs emblem to grow wings.........seems manly has diverted their sewer pipe, so now instead of emptying in to Bondi it dumps everything in Belmore!

didn't we just sign some guy who worked with the manly lawn bowls or croquet club and carried the deep heat for the eskimo cricket team?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
get him one of those 'be manly be a bulldog' shirts

Status
Not open for further replies.