Dave Taylor considering backing out of deal with Gold Coast Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
SOUTHS giant Dave Taylor is considering backing out of his four-year deal with the Gold Coast Titans following revelations the club could collapse under a $35 million debt.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the Queensland Origin forward will this week hold crisis talks with his manager to discuss the validity of the four-year, $1.8 million contract.

The Rabbitohs have not given up hope of keeping Taylor as they are ready to re-open negotiations.

"We understand he may become available under the round 13 rule," South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson said.

"But Michael Maguire is the one who makes decisions on players."

Taylor's manager Col Davis phoned the Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA) on Friday to ask whether Taylor's agreement with the Titans was binding.

Davis has concerns the club will not be able to pay Taylor after claims the Titans could be dissolved and will ask his client if he wants out of the deal.

"Col rang me wanting to get some information and I didn't actually give him any advice," said RLPA general manager Ben Bana. "That's about all I can say."

Taylor, who agreed to join the club just three days before the full extent of the Titans' debt was known, has not put pen to paper and is only bound to his new deal by a verbal agreement.

In a strong indication that Taylor wants out, Davis has been studying precedents of cases involving players reneging on deals after making verbal agreements.

They include Tim Moltzen's deal with the Dragons last year and Steve Turner staying in Melbourne after doing a deal with the Gold Coast.

It is understood Davis, who refused to comment when contacted by The Sunday Telegraph last night, discussed these cases with the RLPA before being instructed to engage his own legal counsel.

"I am aware he called, but that is about it," RLPA boss David Garnsey said.

"I am planning on speaking with him."

The NRL last night said Taylor's contract would not be legally binding until it is registered, but the Titans could mount a case on the strength of the agreement should Taylor try to back out.

"As far as we are concerned the contract isn't binding until it is registered after round 13," NRL spokesman John Brady said.

"There are situations where that can be challenged by the clubs on the strength of the agreement, but as far as we are concerned it is not a contract until it is registered."

Taylor, who expressed a desire to return home to Queensland, was also being courted by the Cowboys, the Gold Coast and his current club the Rabbitohs.

He was forced into making a decision 11 days ago when the Rabbitohs played hardball and withdrew their offer.

South Sydney declined to make the contract snub public and told Taylor he was free to talk to other clubs.

Davis then met Titans boss Michael Searle and sought assurances before agreeing.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...old-coast-titans/story-e6frexnr-1226309044797

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

Status
Not open for further replies.