Danny Fualalo

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Heard that Danny has signed with Cabramatta for this year in RM Cup. Does anyone know if we still have a relationship with Cabra for this year? It might leave the door a jar for him to play CCup for us at some stage?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Heard that Danny has signed with Cabramatta for this year in RM Cup. Does anyone know if we still have a relationship with Cabra for this year? It might leave the door a jar for him to play CCup for us at some stage?
Regardless of whether or not we have a relationship with them, you can pretty much kiss goodbye any change he has of playing with us again given he's not in our top 30 and the rank and class of players above him.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Regardless of whether or not we have a relationship with them, you can pretty much kiss goodbye any change he has of playing with us again given he's not in our top 30 and the rank and class of players above him.
Yeah that's pretty obvious he won't be playing NRL I was only referring to CCup.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Back home for Danny . Before he joined the Dogs in 2015 he played most of his junior footy for the cabramatta two blues.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He wasn’t ever the same after he got diagnosed with vertigo. Was on par with Ese’se when they were both coming through and now he’s not even in the league

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He wasn’t ever the same after he got diagnosed with vertigo. Was on par with Ese’se when they were both coming through and now he’s not even in the league
I agree with you. Prior to the diagnosis and his time out of the game he was extremely promising. I remember speaking to him at Belmore at a fan day after he finally found out what was wrong with him and he himself said that it knocked him about something fierce.

I knew where he was coming from because i copped a short bout of it once when a stretching session at the gym after an x lab class caused me to get the head spins and the giddiness. Simple as lying on the floor and turning my body one way and my head the other as directed by the instructor to stretch out the muscles. Stupid me closed my eyes thinking it would help, but it made it a lot worse. I went to the Dr not knowing what was wrong and the explanation I got was that the balance mechanism in my middle ear had been upset meaning my brain did not know whether I was standing up, lying down or just simply walking forward. Thankfully mine only persisted on and off for a few days and it is one thing I hope i never suffer from again....

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2017/06/12/fualalo-overcomes-eerie-health-scare/

Danny Fualalo got out of bed one morning last season and immediately knew something was wrong.

Worryingly, all the 22-year-old could see were illusions – his head was constantly in a spin and he was convinced the objects around him were moving.

Vertigo is a medical condition that affects a small minority worldwide and while most people experience a bout of dizziness in their lifetime, this type of constant sensation can become a permanent and dangerous way of living.

It is triggered by an inner ear problem in which calcium blocks all train of thought sent to the brain, causing mixed messages regarding sight and balance.

"The week before Round 1 last season I got it out of nowhere and my body tried really hard to fight it but couldn't," Fualalo told NRL.com.

"Your middle crystals in the ears play up and you always feel dizzy. Some of the crystals get thicker and it just throws your balance so you feel like you're on a boat constantly.

"I didn't think it was anything major at first and had never heard of it before, then I ended up missing 13 rounds with it.

"It's pretty much gone now but can come and go too - it's a random thing that I've learnt to manage."

The biggest adjustment over the three-month layoff for the Cabramatta junior was the inability to do simple things like look left or right and get behind the wheel of a vehicle.

"I would just spin out with nearly everything I did," he said.

"I talked to the team doctor and he just said straight away I had to sit it out for as long as it took to go away.

"I literally just stayed home most of the time and couldn't do much at all.

"It was tough to get back playing footy after that because I fell behind."

‌Fualalo joined the Bulldogs' SG Ball side in 2011 after starting off with Parramatta in Harold Matthews and has cemented a position in Des Hasler's NRL squad this season with 13 appearances.

For the first time in his 28-game career, the back-rower was promoted to the starting line-up against the Sharks in Round 12 and ran for over 125 metres in a strong showing in the 9-8 loss.

Despite conceding he was stuck behind a monster forward pack at the Bulldogs, Fualalo was keen to push for more starting opportunities down the track at Belmore.

"It was a good change for me to start against Cronulla, I really enjoyed getting more game time," Fualalo said.

"Match fitness is different to normal fitness but I felt pretty good and didn't blow out too quick so hopefully I can prove to Des that I can play longer minutes and that he can trust me out there on the field.

"He's just told me to keep working on my game and have more confidence to talk more in team meetings and in the game."

This article first appeared on NRL.com

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Crazy he couldn't get a top 30 spot somewhere given the other shit ***** running around tbh.
agreed
should have got a run somewhere
must have been his 900k backended contract that spooked some clubs lol

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
how long do you persist with a guy though if he's not producing?
We gave him 5 years at our club. All he managed to do during that time was score 1 try, and prove that he's, at best, a fringe first grader off the bench.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We gave him 5 years at our club. All he managed to do during that time was score 1 try, and prove that he's, at best, a fringe first grader off the bench.
Yeah.. I mean I have no idea how much vertigo affected his game but at the end of the day, you can't just keep re-signing a guy if he is not producing.. his final season was fair but he had to have a huge season if he was going to be safe

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think he definitely could offer another club something as a cheaper reserve forward. He rarely showed it in first grade but he has some ball skill.

I think he is a really good reggie, an okay back up for first grade.

Side note - John Olive has a new home at Newtown.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think he definitely could offer another club something as a cheaper reserve forward. He rarely showed it in first grade but he has some ball skill.

if they can get him playing his best and consistently he has something to offer... the fact he had little impact for so many years will work against him though.

Olive is a strange one.. when he first came onto the scene you thought yeah this guy is going to be good, but I think his effort and concentration has seen him remain in the lower grades

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score

John Olive is now with Zac Woolford. Weren't people saying Woolford was good on here?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I always thought Fualolo was solid when he was promoted. He played a few really good games for us, but didn't progress beyond being a reasonable fill in at the right price.

I have no idea how much the vertigo impacts on his training and playing ability. But no doubt having a condition that might pop up and disrupt his season at any random time will reduce his appeal as a potential depth prospect for every club.

I hope he's able to enjoy his football for a long time to come though.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
John Olive is now with Zac Woolford. Weren't people saying Woolford was good on here?
Yes.

Fact is we see players, whether first graders or in junior grades, maybe 40-80 minutes a week, and most of us not even that. When it comes to junior and reserve players in particular, most of us, myself included, see a few minutes of highlights on Youtube and for everything else rely on what other punters on TK reckon.

Only the coaching staff see them for 20 to 40 hours a week, week in week out.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
he was pretty solid in the finals series in 2018 including the state cup final featuring in some key moments.. I thought he would have gone alright up in Newcastle but true to form another player goes backwards at the Knights

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I think a fair chunk of our contracted players are still yet to produce good consistent footy ahahha some of them are coming into their 5th year in the top grade now

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think a fair chunk of our contracted players are still yet to produce good consistent footy ahahha some of them are coming into their 5th year in the top grade now
for sure.. we will be a very different looking team in a couple of years.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A lot of that can come down to the link between individual positions being crucial to getting the best out of other positions. As I see it.

Hooker- Quality here allows the forwards to play more aggressively and can give the halves more time to make a good play.

Forwards- they're the engine room. If they're making metres well it wears out the opposition. Good field position will in turn give the halves better options to set up attacking plays close to the line. And if they're making the defence go backwards the outside backs can more easily find chances to exploit the defence.

Halves- Good halves can really make it easier for everyone to play well.

Outside backs- Generally speaking I think that they're very beneficial on both the first and last tackle. Good kick returns will make the workload less for the forwards and ultimately provide a try or repeat set on the last tackle.

So one particular position can cause some otherwise quality players to look poor if they're not performing as they should. The overall quality of our halves and hooker for the last few years hasn't been ideal. Hopefully with this sorted we'll see some of the other positions shine. I really think we're in a better position with our current halves and hooker options than we've been in for a while.