Social Media Daine Laurie

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Theres rumours Dane Laurie from Penrith has signed with tigers, what does this mean for Penrith keeping burton If it’s true

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing. The issue with Burton is not about cap space....it's about position. If he's happy to play backrow or center at Penrith then he'll stay
If he wants to play 6, then he'll join us.
Apparently he has made his decision.....so we have to wait until someone on TK has the oil and lets us know

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Elsewhere the Wests Tigers are closing on Penrith Panthers fullback Daine Laurie.

Laurie played three games in season 2020 after making his NRL debut in round 13 and has one more year remaining on his development contract at the club.

The two parties are in negotiations to finalise the move but it’s believed the Wests Tigers have offered Laurie a two-year deal from season 2022.

Born and raised in Iluka on the NSW north coast, Laurie joined Penrith’s SG Ball outfit in 2017 and went on to the named the Jersey Flegg player of the year in 2018, where he scored 17 tries, made 119 tackle busts and 20 line breaks from 22 matches.

But after a resurgence from Dylan Edwards, Laurie found himself down the pecking order for the no.1 jumper at Penrith.

The 21-year old is one of 13 players off contract - without a contract option - at the end of season 2021 at the Panthers.

Penrith’s salary cap squeeze has meant the grand finalists are open to exploring a number of early releases, including for the likes of Laurie, rising halfback Matt Burton and Josh Mansour.

The Bulldogs have offered Burton a two-year deal from season 2022 believed to be worth in the vicinity of $800,000.

But new coach Barrett, who was Ivan Cleary’s assistant at Penrith, is keen to have Burton join his ranks as soon as this pre-season
m the Tele

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Laurie was on a development contract, so releasing him to sign with the Tigers doesn’t really help Panthers cap space. They would need to replace him with another development player of similar value anyway.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing. The issue with Burton is not about cap space....it's about position. If he's happy to play backrow or center at Penrith then he'll stay
If he wants to play 6, then he'll join us.
Apparently he has made his decision.....so we have to wait until someone on TK has the oil and lets us know
Surely centre is the only possibility for him at panthers. Can’t see why they would drop Kikau, Yeo or Martin to the bench

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely centre is the only possibility for him at panthers. Can’t see why they would drop Kikau, Yeo or Martin to the bench
Even centre he is behind Naden and May I don’t get it they should just let him go

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly.....Penrith are stacked with talent that they cant even guarantee him a position in his "new" position. If we can get back to developing juniors like they are, we'll be in a great position in a few years time

The interesting thing about the article is it states that Penrith are exploring a number of early releases..including Burton. Why would they be doing that if they were confident he was going to stay? It sounds like they already know he's going

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly.....Penrith are stacked with talent that they cant even guarantee him a position in his "new" position. If we can get back to developing juniors like they are, we'll be in a great position in a few years time

The interesting thing about the article is it states that Penrith are exploring a number of early releases..including Burton. Why would they be doing that if they were confident he was going to stay? It sounds like they already know he's going
I think Burton has asked for a Release... however he hasn't signed for 22 and 23 yet. But if he gets a release he will sign for the dogs. Maybe wanting the use the 3 years as a incentive to increase the offer. Also if he gets a release he can just move on, while signing for the dogs now for 22/23 means he will be in a holding pattern for all of 21 unless he gets a release.

But I don't think releasing Burton will do much for their Cap.... but could help them keep a player not currently in the Top 30.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

It is the telecrap. Good chance they're making it up. As far as statements go, that one is very much a case of sitting on the fence because they have no idea what is in the works.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Burton has asked for a Release... however he hasn't signed for 22 and 23 yet. But if he gets a release he will sign for the dogs. Maybe wanting the use the 3 years as a incentive to increase the offer. Also if he gets a release he can just move on, while signing for the dogs now for 22/23 means he will be in a holding pattern for all of 21 unless he gets a release.

But I don't think releasing Burton will do much for their Cap.... but could help them keep a player not currently in the Top 30.
Hope so. The guys on here with the mail have suggested we have him for 22 so the delay seems to be due to him asking for a release.

If he is leaving, and they already have May as cover, they may as well release Burton and replace him with the next gun 6 they have in their system. What's the point of keeping them in their system for 12 months when they could be using the time to develop his replacement (it's like us with Remis, if he signs elsewhere in 22 we may as well let him go early and give his replacement the game time)

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is the telecrap. Good chance they're making it up. As far as statements go, that one is very much a case of sitting on the fence because they have no idea what is in the works.
Aahh. For some reason I thought it was Brent Read from the Australian as he has more credibility and is usually bang on the money. The telecrap is akin to Nasheed's mail

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

You're sooo gullible! :tearsofjoy:
There is no quotes from the Panthers saying anything!

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're sooo gullible! :tearsofjoy:
There is no quotes from the Panthers saying anything!
Guilty. I have a stupid habit of believing what the journos say...especially when I want the news to be true :blush:

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guilty. I have a stupid habit of believing what the journos say...especially when I want the news to be true :blush:
Yeah i get it you're a glass half full type of guy nothing wrong with that! :blush:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can only assume TBaz doesn’t rate Laurie or we just dropped the ball on this one,whilst we’ve been trying to overpay JAC we missed out on this guy. He IS a fullback and has speed to burn and wouldhave been a fraction of the price of JAC, leaving us more money to throw at Burton and or BSmith

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Daine Laurie? There is a name i have no heard in a long time.

And seriously, why the "i" in his name?