Curtis Rona’s rise from Cowboys reserve-grader to Bulldogs’ top try-scorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s-top-try-scorer/story-e6frf3pu-1227531894506

CURTIS Rona was sitting at home watching TV when the phone rang and the voice down the line grumbled, “it’s Dessie’’.

“’Dessie who?’,’’ Rona said.

“’It’s Des Hasler from the Bulldogs’.

“That’s when I jumped up out of the seat and thought, ‘oh, wow, I wonder what he wants’.

“I told everybody to be quiet, raced into my room and we had a conversation for about five minutes. I just knew coming to the Bulldogs would be a good stepping stone for myself. It’s been the best decision in my career so far.’’

Hasler had seen something in Rona during his handful of appearances for the North Queensland Cowboys.

Now everybody knows why Hasler made that call last year as Rona has repaid the faith with an amazing 22 tries in almost as many games on the Canterbury left wing.

If he crosses just once against the Roosters at Allianz Stadium — the TAB have him listed at $2.25 to do so — he’ll join Nigel Vagana and Ben Barba on a Canterbury-record 23 tries in the one season.

That’s not a bad effort for the kid who was born in New Zealand, raised in Perth, and spent a brief time at the Cowboys before settling at Belmore.

Rona and his combination with left centre Josh Morris will pose Chooks’ opposites Blake Ferguson and Shaun Kenny-Dowall plenty of problems.

Melbourne were happy to focus plenty of their early attack at Ferguson and Kenny-Dowall last Friday night.

Rona, 23, started out the year just hoping to become a regular in the Bulldogs’ NRL side. That was something he was disappointed he couldn’t achieve at the Cowboys.

He’s gone on to play every game except one, which was against the Roosters in round 21 when a minor knee injury grounded him.

For a big man, Rona has shown tremendous ability to keep his giant frame in the field of play. He rates his long-range effort against his former club as one of his favourites.

Brett Morris, the Dogs No. 1 who is also no stranger to the wing on the Origin and international stage, told The Daily Telegraph: “At the start of the year I didn’t know a whole lot about Curtis Rona, but he’s obviously taken the opportunity with both hands

“Some of the positions he’s got himself into to score tries this year have been unbelievable. When you give him the ball out wide, you’ve got the confidence he can score points. You need guys who get half a chance and can turn them into points, especially at this time of year.

“I think he’s surprised a lot of people being so big but also having that ability to contort himself in those corners to score the tries he has.’’

Rona said the showdown with Kenny-Dowall and Ferguson would be tough, they were both ‘’big and rangy like myself’’, but he and Morris had done well to both score and defend tries all year.

“I feel we’ve been doing a good job together, and I just can’t wait to pull on that jersey Friday night,’’ Rona said.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He'll need to cross more often, now that there is next to no chance of the tries scored out wide being converted!>:(

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm loving having a player like Rona on our team. He has scored many try's that we probably wont have being a taller winger.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm loving having a player like Rona on our team. He has scored many try's that we probably wont have being a taller winger.
I know aye, id say he is the best finisher in the game atm.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know aye, id say he is the best finisher in the game atm.
Tru that. U know he's good for at least one try a game pretty much. Now if only we could clone him to put on the othe wing.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Saved his worst game for last sadly.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Needed to step up tonight, but none of our backs know how to defuse bombs
It was so bad with the defending against bombs, how ****ing fast do the Roosters backs get to their kicks every time yet we can't even do that?

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not his best game last night, but great season

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
He had a great , great year . The dogs buy of the year with BMoz , 23 tries is awesome . Unfortunately Kenny Dowell and Fingerson gave him a hard time last night but he has scored some sensational tries .

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You could tell how much it ate at him. His first finals series, nerves wouldve played a major part ..He'll only get better from this ,still my favorite player ..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I still love CoRona.

He will be a bigger beast next year.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
he wasnt really tested properly until this game, i still think there is some browness to him

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I've finally found someone to take mind off Ennis and now i have to compete with you lol
I loved him since he was at the Cowboys.

PS I hope Ennis lifts the trophy to rub it in Dessie's face.

BUT it's clearly rorted for a Broncos Storm GF to make the most money.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
You could tell how much it ate at him. His first finals series, nerves wouldve played a major part ..He'll only get better from this ,still my favorite player ..
Agree. Sometimes things just happen... Up against SKD and Fingerson...both just as tall and with the running momentum able to leap higher... it just didn't go his way tonight....but scored some brilliant tries this year and can be proud of his first year with us. One of my favs....He was guttered post match.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I loved him since he was at the Cowboys.

PS I hope Ennis lifts the trophy to rub it in Dessie's face.

BUT it's clearly rorted for a Broncos Storm GF to make the most money.
yeh right from the cosboys lol.
anyhow I knew you'd come around about Ennis lol.. it's a long shot for him but it will take something like that to make Des realise he needs to re evaluate what he's doing.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
rona put a couple down tonight but i cant blame him, he always comes forward jumping up to take a ball from a bomb, last night there were blockers impeading his attempts and he put 2 down
with the speed of the runners coming at him and the placements of the roosters kicks rona and our back line did pretty well considering

and thats the difference between us and the roosters, a good kicking game and pressure on the ball catchers

Status
Not open for further replies.