Current Affair tonight - Ricky Stuart Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Supposedly Ricky's daughter has autism. They interview him and I think his wife. Should be a good insight into the man's life.

Edit: corrected family member...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's about his daughter, Emma who has Autism. It will help other families out there who child/children who are also on the autism spectrum.

There was an article about it in the newspapers about 2 - 3 weeks ago.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Should be a good eye-opener. A lot of knockers of Ricky's will get sat on their arse tonight.

...... massive props to parents of Autistic kids, if you're here :thumb:

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lifelong developmental disabilities characterised by marked difficulties in social interaction, impaired communication, restricted and repetitive interests and behaviours and sensory sensitivities.

http://www.autismspectrum.org.au/a2i1i1l237l113/what-is-autism.htm
People who have autism are classified as being on the 'Autism Spectrum'. Some are more severe than others.

I have 3 sons and they are all on the 'spectrum'. The eldest is diagnosed with Aspergers (Social issues) and is sensory sensitive. The middle son is diagnosed with PDDNOS, (Mild autism). The youngest is diagnosed with Autism (slightly more severe than child 2) is sensory seeking and delayed in receptive and expressive language. All have traits of ADHD. Thankfully none are on medication, and early diagnoses has meant that the boys got help (speech the******s, occupational the******s) early in life and has helped them in main stream life.

Autism has always been around it's just that these days the doctors are more likely to give a diagnoses, in the past (ie pre 80's) a person with aspergers would of been called 'soft' and told to toughen up and others who were more severe would of been called 'slow' and either repeat school or drop out very early. No two people with autism are the same, alike and similar yes, but not the same.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing mate .... How old are your boys BB ???

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What is Autism?
Watch Mercury Rising. The kid in the movie is autistic. And it stars Bruce Willis. And it's a top movie.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Watch Mercury Rising. The kid in the movie is autistic. And it stars Bruce Willis. And it's a top movie.
Very hot. Sip it slowly. Top notch advice ;) Good movie

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Went to school with a guy who was autistic. Couldn't interact with people via speaking or even body language. No one knew who to deal with him, especially teachers. He'd just sit in class. No books. Just sit there.

Thing is he had a photographic memory. Would ace every exam.

Spoke to the guy online after highschool and writing to him you'd never ever know he was any "different".

I feel sorry for him. Unless people truly get to know him he'll be treated by people as crazy or dumb or both. There's an intelligent guy in there, he's just trapped I guess.

Pretty sure Mat Rogers has a young autistic kid. I remember he and Chloe had some sort of foundation set up that supported an education program for autistic kids that was seeing some promising results.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
8, 6 and 4. So Year 3, Kindergarten and Preschool.
I have massive respect for you and your wife.

Everybody eventually gets their "raw deal" in life. Some get a bigger life plate to eat than others. My life plate is pretty big. I got my own health issues, my mum is disabled, my daughter was born with dodgy heart/lungs. While my situation is challenging and gloomy-ish, in other families I hear about diabetic kids, or leukemia. Met a lady at Westmead once, who's daughter had half a brain hemisphere removed ! So I know that it could be a whole lot worse.

My boy went on the Autism spectrum when he was 2. He's now 4 and we've 'turned him around'. Turns out he had a bad ear wax issue, and this prevented him from learning as fast as the other kids. At the same time he had strong sensory preferences (hated water on his head, wouldn't eat any colour food except beige/brown) ... luckily, we were entered into a program at the local hospital paediatric department.

We worked our arses off getting him back up to speed. Our goal was to get him rady for kindy (starts next year) as much as we could. He had grommets in his ears inserted and that seemed to do the trick. Even now, some 12 months on, he stutters a little, and screams when frustrated. We think we're out of the woods, but we're never too sure.

I just want to wish you the best for the future ... I've walked a mile in your shoes, (and took 'em off as soon as I could).

:thumb:

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to school with a guy who was autistic. Couldn't interact with people via speaking or even body language. No one knew who to deal with him, especially teachers. He'd just sit in class. No books. Just sit there.

Thing is he had a photographic memory. Would ace every exam.

Spoke to the guy online after highschool and writing to him you'd never ever know he was any "different".

I feel sorry for him. Unless people truly get to know him he'll be treated by people as crazy or dumb or both. There's an intelligent guy in there, he's just trapped I guess.

Pretty sure Mat Rogers has a young autistic kid. I remember he and Chloe had some sort of foundation set up that supported an education program for autistic kids that was seeing some promising results.
How long ago was this ??

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
People who have autism are classified as being on the 'Autism Spectrum'. Some are more severe than others.

I have 3 sons and they are all on the 'spectrum'. The eldest is diagnosed with Aspergers (Social issues) and is sensory sensitive. The middle son is diagnosed with PDDNOS, (Mild autism). The youngest is diagnosed with Autism (slightly more severe than child 2) is sensory seeking and delayed in receptive and expressive language. All have traits of ADHD. Thankfully none are on medication, and early diagnoses has meant that the boys got help (speech the******s, occupational the******s) early in life and has helped them in main stream life.

Autism has always been around it's just that these days the doctors are more likely to give a diagnoses, in the past (ie pre 80's) a person with aspergers would of been called 'soft' and told to toughen up and others who were more severe would of been called 'slow' and either repeat school or drop out very early. No two people with autism are the same, alike and similar yes, but not the same.
Mate, that is very sad to hear. I cant really imagine the things you have to go through with your 3 boys.

My sister's friend's son is autistic and he rarely talks other then repeating the lines from what he hears on TV and he tries to sound exactly like them, when he stuffs up, he gets frustrated.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have a few friends with kids who are autistic and another has aspergers. It's tough for them as these kids basically have no feeling of emotion. They both hurt all the other kids at parties and the parents always leave very early because they are scared of what the kids may do (two different families). One of them was about 5 and he pushed his 2 year old sister full on into the clothesline. I don't know how her face wasn't smashed up, another punched my brother in law in the nose after he wacked his 1 year old daughter.
When we leave, my boys always say they don't like whichever autistic kid was there because they hurt everyone. We try to explain why and that they can't help their behaviour but they don't understand. I really feel for the parents and we always invite them to our parties, but they always feel like they have to leave early if they even come at all.

I have a lot of respect and sorrow for parents of autistic kids.

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Everybody eventually gets their "raw deal" in life. Some get a bigger life plate to eat than others. My life plate is pretty big. I got my own health issues, my mum is disabled, my daughter was born with dodgy heart/lungs. While my situation is challenging and gloomy-ish, in other families I hear about diabetic kids, or leukemia. Met a lady at Westmead once, who's daughter had half a brain hemisphere removed ! So I know that it could be a whole lot worse.

My boy went on the Autism spectrum when he was 2. He's now 4 and we've 'turned him around'. Turns out he had a bad ear wax issue, and this prevented him from learning as fast as the other kids. At the same time he had strong sensory preferences (hated water on his head, wouldn't eat any colour food except beige/brown) ... luckily, we were entered into a program at the local hospital paediatric department.

We worked our arses off getting him back up to speed. Our goal was to get him rady for kindy (starts next year) as much as we could. He had grommets in his ears inserted and that seemed to do the trick. Even now, some 12 months on, he stutters a little, and screams when frustrated. We think we're out of the woods, but we're never too sure.

I just want to wish you the best for the future ... I've walked a mile in your shoes, (and took 'em off as soon as I could).

Thanks Captain, number 2 had a lot of help but his autism isn't as severe as the youngest. Our plan for him next year is to start Kindy, but he may have to be in a support class. We are looking at all options. The school that the elder 2 goes to have been really good with, they are learning along with us on how to help him, and with that to help others who come to school in the same situation as us. Thankfully there is no medication needed for any of them, and apart from being regular boys they are healthy.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
How long ago was this ??
Over ten years ago. Sounds like things have (thankfully) changed. Some of the **** I saw other kids and even teachers do to him was pretty ****ing awful.

And this was in we were in year 10 so the poor guy had an entire school life of no one knowing what to do with him.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Just watched the story, very powerful stuff from Ricky.

I really got to feel for him and his wife.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Here here, life sucks at times especially when it comes to the Kids!! Wayne Bennett has similar issues but people still wonder why he can so grumpy.

All the best Champion!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.