Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crowe sets his sights on Sonny Bill
Adrian Proszenko
January 16, 2011

EXCLUSIVE

RUSSELL CROWE has made an audacious attempt to lure Sonny Bill Williams to South Sydney.

Not content with snaring the prized signatures of superstars Sam Burgess and Greg Inglis, Crowe has spoken to Williams about the possibility of shifting to Redfern after the Rugby World Cup this year.

It's understood that Crowe proposed the move after being introduced to Williams by mutual friend Anthony Mundine.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Crusaders and All Blacks star Williams will become one of the most sought-after stars in either rugby code when he becomes a free agent at the end of the year. There will be no shortage of offers from NRL clubs - Williams was recently spotted dining with Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney, prompting speculation the cashed-up Eels are a contender for his services.

However, Crowe has displayed an uncanny ability to snare his man since taking over as co-owner of the Rabbitohs. Internationals Roy Asotasi, Burgess and Inglis have all joined the club after being wined and dined by the Oscar-winning actor.

Mundine was an influential figure in the Inglis deal and is also close friends with Williams. When Williams controversially walked out on the Bulldogs in 2008, Mundine offered to pay the compensation money demanded by the NRL club.

Mundine has also been helping the dual international prepare for his boxing bout against Scott Lewis on the Gold Coast on January 29.

The salary cap will again be one of the biggest stumbling blocks in Williams's potential return to league. The Inglis deal was initially knocked back by NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert and the Rabbitohs were forced to release local junior Beau Champion before it was ratified.

Williams, 25, could command upwards of $1 million a season following his selection for the All Blacks last year. http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-his-sights-on-sonny-bill-20110115-19rxn.html View attachment 18701

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
good luck to them trying to lure him away from rugby that pays more

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if he never plays league again. He is becoming one of the most marketable players in the game.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
lmfao YEAH RIGHT!!!

They only just managed to twist the NRLs arm to let Inglis play for them... and even then I have my doubts that it wasn't approved without a generous backhander (read donation) by RC to the NRL. Getting rid of Champion does not = Inglis's salary for a year!

and now they are talking about SBW "supposidely".

Not a snowballs chance in hell, then again RC seems to forget NRL has a salary cap, unless it doesn't apply to them.

But yeah I can see it now... Souths 2012 side comprising of:

1. Reese Wesser (playing for free)
2. We ran out of money.
3. Greg Inglis
4. We ran out of money.
5. We ran out of money.
6. Chris Sandow (playing for Coles/Woolies Fuel vouchers)
7. John Sutton
8. Sam Burgess
9. Issac Luke
10. Another Burgess (playing for pies)
11. Another Burgess (also playing for pies)
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. We ran out of money.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
if crowe keeps saying they are chassing bla bla it wont take long before the nrl become suss about crowe himself paying players from his own money, and bypassing the souths books.
keep going rusty you will be caught out

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unless Gallop shares the wealth and loosens the cap, Sonny will probably stay with Yawnion, he was a bit over rated anyway, he had plenty of eventless games.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope he never comes back to league again.

Would be a bitter pill to swallow seeing him in another teams colours. In this day and age, and considering how much he's currently earning, I can't see how on earth any team can fit this guy under their salary cap anyway.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
typical media bs...

they still havent got their fachts right

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I want him back in league just so we can pack out a ground for the express purpose of booing/heckling him.
well, he will be on the bench anyways, so he'll certainly cop an earful most of the season :p

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope he never comes back to league again.
I'm 50/50 about it. I loved watching him play. He gave so many fans a lot of joy with the things he could do on a field that other players could only dream of doing. Regularly pulling off freakish passes and huge shoulder charges to name a few. But then he **** on every single one of those fans buy being a gutless dog and sneaking off overseas.
It would make me sick to see him play for another NRL team, but it also makes me sick to think about what we as fans are missing out on by him playing yawnion. I still watch some of his highlight vids on youtube every now and then, and it kills me to think how good he would be now with another few years under his belt.

SpirtOfPunchy

Waterboy
Reaction score
lmfao YEAH RIGHT!!!

They only just managed to twist the NRLs arm to let Inglis play for them... and even then I have my doubts that it wasn't approved without a generous backhander (read donation) by RC to the NRL. Getting rid of Champion does not = Inglis's salary for a year!

and now they are talking about SBW "supposidely".

Not a snowballs chance in hell, then again RC seems to forget NRL has a salary cap, unless it doesn't apply to them.

But yeah I can see it now... Souths 2012 side comprising of:

1. Reese Wesser (playing for free)
2. We ran out of money.
3. Greg Inglis
4. We ran out of money.
5. We ran out of money.
6. Chris Sandow (playing for Coles/Woolies Fuel vouchers)
7. John Sutton
8. Sam Burgess
9. Issac Luke
10. Another Burgess (playing for pies)
11. Another Burgess (also playing for pies)
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. We ran out of money.
ayri b kellak sad ****

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
So I guess we have to be prepared for an article every time someone remotely related to a league team sneezes in SBW's direction? Awesome.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
russell have you ever heard of something called "the salary cap"??

P

Paint.

unless if i see a quote from some one in the know, then i'll believe a report. if there's nothing, it's all media bullsh!t

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
1M a season for a SBW that hasn't played league in nearly 5 years and we had him for 400k in the prime of his league career, I can live with that lol

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
1M a season for a SBW that hasn't played league in nearly 5 years and we had him for 400k in the prime of his league career, I can live with that lol
tbh i dont think we had him in his prime. SBW could have stepped it up a notch or 2 if he stayed with us. He was still a baby when he left pretty much. Great players don't peak early. They get better. I think in the world cup we will see the best of him

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
GL Russell.

SBW alone can command a teams ENTIRE salary cap, as that's what Toulon will be offering him.

Live a luxury lifestyle and relative anonymity in France where you can persue other interests such as Boxing or descent to the fishbowl, media scrutinized prison known as Sydney, tough choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.