News Crichton refuses to commit to Panthers with club set to meet new manager

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Penrith will meet with Stephen Crichton's new management this week as one of the game's hottest rookies refused to guarantee he would remain at the club beyond next season.

Crichton was expected to sign a new three-year $1.5 million deal with the Panthers once he switched management companies at the start of November.

The 20-year-old told the club and coach Ivan Cleary he would honour the deal once he parted ways with his former agent.

But Crichton stopped short of declaring there was a handshake agreement with Cleary, and maintained this week he simply wanted what was best for his family.

"I'll see what's best for my family," Crichton told The Sun-Herald. "I have a new manager and when I get home [from Blues camp] I'll start chatting with them and see what happens."
When pressed if he could guarantee he would remain at the foot of the mountains once his deal expired at the end of next season, Crichton said: "I'm not sure".

In demand ... Stephen Crichton

In demand ... Stephen CrichtonCREDIT:JANIE BARRETT

"I spoke to Ivan, the handshake ... I told him I'll see what's best for my family and things like that. I didn't have a manager at the time. Now I've got one, so I've left it with them to look after.
"I was committed [to Penrith], but I'm seeing what's best for my family as well."

Penrith fans will be sweating on Crichton recommitting to the club after his breakout season in the centres outside Viliame Kikau. He was rewarded for his form by being selected in the NSW Origin squad and while he never played against Queensland, was grateful for the experience and chance to rub shoulders with some of the game's biggest names.

Penrith also have a battle on their hands to retain Matt Burton, who has attracted serious interest from Canterbury, while Isaah Yeo and Jarome Luai are both off contract at the end of next year.

The Panthers believe their current offer for Crichton is perfect for a player entering just the second year of his NRL career. They are loathe to pay their local talent too much too soon for fear the financial reward will put them on an unwanted pedestal.

Crichton did not want the negotiations to drag on and simply said "hopefully really soon" when it came to reaching an outcome.

The Sydney Roosters have been linked to Crichton, and are in need of a centre once Josh Morris moves on at the end of next year.

Crichton said none of the Roosters had tried to sell him the Bondi dream while in Blues camp.

The Mt Druitt local knows rival teams will know how to handle him a lot better next year, and it will be up to him to overcome the second-year syndrome. Latrell Mitchell even referenced the challenges Crichton would face next year when speaking from personal experience on the Bloke In A Bar podcast recently.

Daine Laurie signed with the Wests Tigers this week, but is on a development contract with Penrith next season and will not be granted an early release.
Burton will also be kept at the foot of the mountains next year, even if he signs elsewhere for 2022.

Meanwhile, another Crichton, Angus, has been taken off the market by the Roosters, especially with uncertainty about the future of skipper Boyd Cordner.
Several clubs had expressed interest in Crichton, including the Wests Tigers, but rivals had since been told the gun forward would be going nowhere.

Crichton, one of NSW's best players during the Origin series, told the Herald during Origin camp how he loved the Roosters and wanted to commit to a new long-term deal.

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't go with a mercenary like this, as this would bite you back in the ass at a later date

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If he signs with the Roosters that Fraud Fittler will 100 percent pick him for origin

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don’t think he’s worth the money getting thrown at him just quietly..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd prefer JAC to Crichton. Wing (instead of signing Crichton for centre) or fullback. Ability and personality. On and off the field (leader in his own way). More of a known quantity and already one of the best players in his position (Crichton potentially more potential). Unless we don't sign Burton and Averillo stays five-eighth, JAC would be my winger.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You would have to think,every day that Stephen doesn’t re-sign with the Panthers,that Christian would have to be in his ear about joining him at the Dogs..maybe this is where the change of attitude has come from..and extra cash of course

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Until the Riff have these contracts sorted, as they are a priority, the Burton situation will drag on i think

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd prefer JAC to Crichton. Wing (instead of signing Crichton for centre) or fullback. Ability and personality. On and off the field (leader in his own way). More of a known quantity and already one of the best players in his position (Crichton potentially more potential). Unless we don't sign Burton and Averillo stays five-eighth, JAC would be my winger.
TBaz would be in the best position to judge on the potential of Crichton at fullback

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Crichton would make a better fullback than JAC and Latrell combined, I can’t believe this hasn’t been spoken about more
chrighton was a fullback and he was sensational when he played there for penrith

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Well if he wants to do the best thing by his family he should be trying to negotiate a package deal with us to extend his brothers career!
I like the way you think, Mick!

He can play FG and his brother in Reserves....perfect! Lol

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Man his brother Christian gets disrespected on the daily on this forum lmaoo

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
TBaz would be in the best position to judge on the potential of Crichton at fullback
Indeed, either JAC or Crichton would both be amazing fullbacks, but for mine.. I’d prefer the latter as the Fox speculation and write ups have gone on too long.!!