News Crichton‘s encouraging act in Dogs debut as halves dilemma deepens: What we learned

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Taffy was bought as a hb according to Gus iirc and the club website has him listed as such. Him at 7 and Tracey at fb could work tbh.
No way Taffe is going to play at 6 or 7 when he wasn't (as far as I remember) given even a minute there during the trials. Situation bears a striking resemblence to the Perham situation from last year, although it is always possible that Taffe is just keeping the seat warm for Tracey at FB.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was going to ask that very question tbh .. didn't due to fear of verbal abuse by Salmon haters.
We'll he started as a 5/8.. With some experience now and what we have seen so far at lock i don't see how he couldn't do the job as a HB.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We'll he started as a 5/8.. With some experience now and what we have seen so far at lock i don't see how he couldn't do the job as a HB.
Can dogs fans stop trying to make Salmon a thing? Please?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If CC picks Hutchinson as first choice halfback I hope he really steps up cause he was horrible.
Lets just hope it was a bad night because he will be starting HB.

A problem i noticed in the two trials is he isn't the best player when he needs to play instinctively. He did show and go towards the end of the game last night so hopefully he can add that to his basket instead of throwing hospital and coma balls for the sake of being a playmaker.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can dogs fans stop trying to make Salmon a thing? Please?
Salmon? Could be anything! A fish, a Human, a Footballer u friggin name it! Can even be smoked or great for sashimi!

Seriously though, were fcuked. Our options at HB are fukin woeful, even for a stop gap.

Rocket64

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Out of last night .. much improved D .. Kikau looks the least interested .. or needs to be used better in attack .. Curran will be a big asset .. will play big minutes round 1 .. Sexton wins on points over Hutch for Rd 1 .. Tracey needs some game time before he takes the fullback spot .. Kiraz straight in .. we already know we’re short prop or 2 .. new combinations will take up to 6 rounds to develop .. not sure what Kurt Mann’s role is either that stepping side to side .. prefer Salmon straight running engaging the D ..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Salmon? Could be anything! A fish, a Human, a Footballer u friggin name it! Can even be smoked or great for sashimi!

Seriously though, were fcuked. Our options at HB are fukin woeful, even for a stop gap.
Ciraldo needs to focus more on the right combinations rather than trying to accommodate certain players and forcing them into roles they're not suited too.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lets just hope it was a bad night because he will be starting HB.

A problem i noticed in the two trials is he isn't the best player when he needs to play instinctively. He did show and go towards the end of the game last night so hopefully he can add that to his basket instead of throwing hospital and coma balls for the sake of being a playmaker.
In saying that, I think last nights game plan was just a forward type of game plan compared to the fist game.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s clear to see that our biggest improvement this year will be our For and Against.
Rome wasn’t built in a day, and there are a number of WIP challenges we face such as 7 and 1.

Rocket64

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Negatives: Wet ground .. humidity .. new combinations .. high error rate .. weakness needs to be addressed - short a Prop & our no 7’s are inconsistent .. Kikau needs to step up .. Mahoney don’t run or kick!

Positives: competition for positions has increased the intensity, kept Sharks to 6 points for 75 minutes .. will improve as they learn how to combine ..
Tracey & Kiraz should be in starting side … Cirro needs to pick players on form not reputation

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m surprised there are as many negative comments as there are tbh. The sprinting off the line and gang tackling was really great to see and for the most part there’s definite defensive chemistry within the team. Enough to suggest we’ll be competitive.

Ciraldo and JT have a job to do with the attack but we have so many strike players that I’m optimistic it’ll be a matter of time. The only thing I’m conscious of is Ciraldo not being cut throat enough in his selections. Hopefully he learnt from the Perham saga last season.

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Negatives: Wet ground .. humidity .. new combinations .. high error rate .. weakness needs to be addressed - short a Prop & our no 7’s are inconsistent .. Kikau needs to step up .. Mahoney don’t run or kick!

Positives: competition for positions has increased the intensity, kept Sharks to 6 points for 75 minutes .. will improve as they learn how to combine ..
Tracey & Kiraz should be in starting side … Cirro needs to pick players on form not reputation
I dont want to hear the bad weather/humidity excuses. Players should know how to play in all weather conditions. We had soo many chances but blew them, especially with 1 man in the bin

We play fancy footy instead of actually playing smart footy. Defence was really good last night but hope CC fixes it before playing the scum round 1

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ciraldo needs to focus more on the right combinations rather than trying to accommodate certain players and forcing them into roles they're not suited too.
Honestly I walked away from last night with no answers, just more questions which is annoying af.

Question is which combinations are more important? The ones in defense or attack?

Cohesion in attack, will come once we settle rather it needs to come asap!

We lack weight, our defense looks capable but will eventually burn out and our season will go south.

I know you dont like this statement, but the main goal is not to burn out before Patolo and Sutton return.

If that sounds like a stack of rubble, its in the spirit of the game last night.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In saying that, I think last nights game plan was just a forward type of game plan compared to the fist game.
It was no doubt... Games like last night are games made for show and go's. Hopefully the players learn from it.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's picking the team based on how he can cover for Burton's weaknesses. Salmon at lock to help with the playmaking & Crichton at left centre to give him Kikau-Crichton-JAC as his weapons. It's hilarious that even with all that Burton is still crap & our attack is still crap.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's picking the team based on how he can cover for Burton's weaknesses. Salmon at lock to help with the playmaking & Crichton at left centre to give him Kikau-Crichton-JAC as his weapons. It's hilarious that even with all that Burton is still crap & our attack is still crap.
Dear oh dear. This is an epic fail of a comment.

The team that has won 3 comps in a row plays with a ball playing lock, is that to cover weakness of Luai & Cleary too?

A halfback is there to steer the team around. Therefore Adam Reynolds was also signed to cover Mam's weakness as well.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Dear oh dear. This is an epic fail of a comment.

The team that has won 3 comps in a row plays with a ball playing lock, is that to cover weakness of Luai & Cleary too?

A halfback is there to steer the team around. Therefore Adam Reynolds was also signed to cover Mam's weakness as well.
Yeo averaged 159 metres per game last season. He doesn't just pass the ball. Salmon doesn't make anywhere near enough metres. Salmon isn't anywhere near Yeo's class so stop trying to make it like he's Yeo 2.0.

Also we shouldn't be copying the Panther's gameplan with shitter players. We would never beat them if we play their style with players that aren't as good as theirs.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sexton should of got more minutes
I agree with that one... Should have played Hutch for 20 and Sex for 20... then rip burton off and let them play the second half.

I think CC is locked on Hutcho which is why he doesnt give a fcuk about Sexton.