News Crichton‘s encouraging act in Dogs debut as halves dilemma deepens: What we learned

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Sharks have held on to defeat the Bulldogs 12-6 in a scrappy pre-season trial at Belmore Sports Ground.

Stephen Crichton only played the first 20 minutes in his unofficial Bulldogs debut but hovered on the sideline to cheer on his teammates for the remainder of the game.

6,000 fans turned out at the Dogs’ spiritual home ground and they gave newly appointed captain Crichton a warm welcome as he ran out onto the field.

But they were silenced 13 minutes into the game when Teig Wilton cruised through a gaping hole and over the line to score the Sharks’ first points.

The Bulldogs got a chance to strike back and Bronson Xerri went painfully close to scoring until Briton Nikora chopped him down from behind with a try-saving tackle. Nikora, however, was sent to the bin for holding him down too long.

The Dogs capitalised on the one-man advantage as reigning Player of the Year — and fan favourite — Jacob Preston charged over the line and locked up scores ahead of half time.

A clunky second half from both sides halted momentum and it wasn’t until a Bulldogs error in the final 10 minutes that the Sharks got an opportunity to seal the win.

A poor pass from Bailey Hayward out of dummy-half was scooped up by Royce Hunt, who offloaded to 20-yearold Chris Vea’ila to score the matchwinner.

Both sides will be sweating on the availability of players heading into Round 1. Sharks duo Sione Katoa and Jesse Colquhoun suffered foot injuries, while Matt Burton was put on report for a high shot.

CRICHTON’S CAPTAINCY ERA BEGINS

Fresh off being appointed club captain, Stephen Crichton made his unofficial Bulldogs debut on Friday night — and it’s what he did off the field that impressed the most.

Coach Cameron Ciraldo dropped a bombshell on Thursday when it was announced Crichton would step up as captain despite not yet playing an NRL game for the club.

The three-time premiership-winner takes over from Matt Burton and Reed Mahoney, who took care of the on-field duties, and Ray Faitala-Mariner, who was the club captain.

Crichton only played the first 20 minutes of the game as per Ciraldo’s plan. He didn’t see a lot of ball but had a statement moment in defence when he jammed out of the line to whack Will Kennedy.

The superstar centre was given an early mark but never really settled in on the bench. He was seen several times up on his feet cheering on his teammates, which caught the attention of Fox League expert Cooper Cronk.

“I like this from Stephen Crichton, since coming off in the 20th minute he has not left the sideline,” he said in commentary.

“He is standing up and applauding his team, showing good leadership. He’s up and about encouraging his team.”

It comes after Panthers legend Greg Alexander declared pre-game that appointing Crichton as captain is a “masterstroke” by Ciraldo.

“He’s only 23 but there’s something about the personality of Stephen Crichton… I think he’ll take the responsibility so seriously that he will become a better player,” Alexander said.

A PENNY FOR CIRALDO’S THOUGHTS?

You’d have to wonder if Friday’s game has left Cameron Ciraldo with more questions than answers.

The Bulldogs coach singled out Drew Hutchison pre-game as someone that has really impressed him over the pre-season due to his “footy IQ and good experience.”

Hutchison looked to be in the box seat to play halfback in Round 1 after getting the nod to start against the Sharks but he was well below his best.

The Bulldogs’ attack was sideways and clunky — and it didn’t get any better when fellow halfback hopeful Toby Sexton came onto the field.

Premiership-winning five-eighth and Fox League expert Braith Anasta said after the game that he’s “not sold” on Hutchison at halfback.

It remains to be seen whether Ciraldo is.

On the flip side, Cronk believes former Panther Jaeman Salmon is a “lock” for No.13 because he fits the “Isaah (Yeo) mould and brought that to the Bulldogs.”

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the boys really dug in defensively,was a tough game to judge.

Our captain will be huge for us

Positives from game -
1) Great defence
2)we know what we need to fix
3)It was a trail only
4) There is competition for spots
5)Bring on round 1

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sold on Hutchison, I said in the game he was slow and clunky but not once he straightened the attack .
yep Hutchinson is too slow to be half back..sexton offers more spark but it's guaranteed ciraldo will select Hutchinson which I think is unfair to sexton as he played half back last year,abd outplayed Hutchinson in the trial last week

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
yep Hutchinson is too slow to be half back..sexton offers more spark but it's guaranteed ciraldo will select Hutchinson which I think is unfair to sexton as he played half back last year,abd outplayed Hutchinson in the trial last week
If CC picks Hutchinson as first choice halfback I hope he really steps up cause he was horrible.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My biggest concern is Ciraldos stubbornness selecting repeat offenders who offer nothing.

Last year it took the whole season to be a write off before perham was gone.

It’s time coach learnt what reserve grade was for and no matter how big the player,that a stint will be due if u don’t fire up

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you think about it basically sharks got the softest 2 tries. First one they rush out of the line for sharks to go through un touched and final try was off a mistake. We held them out for so long our defence is so much better already. The ammount of **** here who just jump to conclusions is hilarious and concerning. This place used to be the best now it’s a mental health facility for bi polar plebs. It’s wet and muggy, sharks made tonnes of mistakes also.

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If CC picks Hutchinson as first choice halfback I hope he really steps up cause he was horrible.
Did someone mention in another thread that Tracey can play halfback? Maybe that’s an option. Having said that, Taaffe was awful yesterday.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When you think about it basically sharks got the softest 2 tries. First one they rush out of the line for sharks to go through un touched and final try was off a mistake. We held them out for so long our defence is so much better already. The ammount of **** here who just jump to conclusions is hilarious and concerning. This place used to be the best now it’s a mental health facility for bi polar plebs. It’s wet and muggy, sharks made tonnes of mistakes also.
Exactly we have conceded 24 points in 2 games
18 of those points made up of the above and a trick shot from the storm
If we get our D right the points will follow

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hutchinson can baby Burton better with talk etc it's as simple as that. So long as the club try to patch his ability in halves the more we will have to cop selections like this.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I was going to ask that very question tbh .. didn't due to fear of verbal abuse by Salmon haters.
Dead set I'd rather this halves pairing, with Burton to kick from centre as required.
6. Tracey
7. Sexton

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I was going to ask that very question tbh .. didn't due to fear of verbal abuse by Salmon haters.
I think he played his way into the 13 jumper and I’m a fan of what Curran brings as well. Salmons energy in defence was awesome. You don’t really want your halves tackling as much as he was though so I think 13 suits him. There is plenty of options for when he comes off for a rest during the game.