Craig Gower makes NRL return with Newcastle Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
CRAIG Gower has agreed to return to the NRL and play for the remainder of the season with the Newcastle Knights.

At 35, Gower will be one of the oldest players in the NRL, but that hasn't stopped Knights coach Wayne Bennett from bringing the former premiership winning halfback home.

Gower could be at Newcastle by next Monday with release papers from English Super League club London Broncos set to be rubber-stamped within 48 hours.

After 238 appearances with the Penrith Panthers, the former Blues playmaker left the NRL after the 2007 season for French Top 14 rugby side Bayonne and also represented Italy at international level.

He returned to league last year with London.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Wayne Bennett loves to find old washed up players for his team, Buderus, Mason and now Gower. Who else is left to pick at the ripe age of 32+?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
bennett didnt check his use by/best before date

MrDogzOfWar

Dogz At War!
Reaction score
I don't think Wayne bennett will ever win a Premiership with the Newcastle Knights!!

If he keeps buying old Players! Around 5 -7 players at the club are 30+

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
ffs that was only a medium joke at best:p

lol sufficient

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
The Knights didn't check Bennett's use by date either
hmm *check bennett age*

tbh he is 63, its going to be an interested thing as he gets towards 70

eg when has he lost it and why doesn't he want to retire

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
hmm *check bennett age*

tbh he is 63, its going to be an interested thing as he gets towards 70

eg when has he lost it and why doesn't he want to retire
only 63? he looks worse then some 80+ year olds

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow.

I saw he'd had the Broncos captaincy stripped at the weekend. I didn't realise a release was impending.

How the hell does he go from one of the worst sides in Super League to a team with serious NRL finals credentials?

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone pointed out to Wayne Bennett that he's already won the 2006 premiership and doesn't need to assemble a roster capable of winning it again?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
bennett didnt check his use by/best before date
hahahaha good call!

It's no longer an issue though. Under the new Australian Consumer Laws if he does break down the Knights are able to get a refund, or repair at their choice.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Alzheimer is a very terrible disease, Bennett should get that looked at cause clearly he thinks its 2003..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Bennett loves to surround himself with people like himself, hence that's why he buys old washed up geezers

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why would the Knights need Gower?

Why would any club need him for that matter? I remember a couple of years ago I think Souths were pursuing him, but it's a little late now in my opinion.

This is even worse than Orford returning to the NRL with the Raiders, and that worked out well...

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Gower is 35. I remember Matt Orford trying to come back to the NRL at a similar or younger age a year or two ago. He lasted ~3 games

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gower is 35. I remember Matt Orford trying to come back to the NRL at a similar or younger age a year or two ago. He lasted ~3 games
Sometimes the body doesn't hold up but like Jason Smith these wise old heads are composed and clever on the footy field, will Tyronne Roberts take a back seat?

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is he trying to replicate what he did during origin when he brought langer back over from england to win the series? I think Langer was the same age 34-35

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is he trying to replicate what he did during origin when he brought langer back over from england to win the series? I think Langer was the same age 34-35
Gower isn't exactly Langer.

Langer was ripping it up at a decent Super League team at the time (Warrington). Gower was toiling with cellar-dwellers (London).

Status
Not open for further replies.