Status
Not open for further replies.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
Sorry Des, the Bulldogs are now the benchmark
By Craig Bellamy
The Australian

Des Hasler won't like it, but this is my opinion. Canterbury-Bankstown is a fair bit ahead of everyone else in the NRL at the moment.

Last weekend's win over North Queensland merely confirmed it. In my eyes, that shaped as a real danger game for the Bulldogs.

They were without halfback Kris Keating and prop Sam Kasiano, up against a North Queensland side with Johnathan Thurston and Matt Bowen in outstanding form, and they still managed to stretch their winning streak to nine NRL games regardless.

Again they found a way to win. To me, that stamped them as the real deal. I thought they might have been vulnerable but to win like they did . . . if anyone had any doubts before last week, they were gone afterwards.

Des deserves a huge rap for what he has done with the club. I don't know him that well but when we have spoken, I have always found him a humble guy.

He has done a wonderful job when you consider their style of football, their results and what they have done in the past eight or nine weeks -- especially after what happened last year when the club endured some turmoil.

Results obviously tell part of the story, but the other notable change under Hasler has been the improvement in the players.

A bloke like Ben Barba has always had that wonderful ability to score tries. Under Des, he has become safer under the high ball and defensively more reliable. If anything, his strike rate in attack has improved as well. This time last year or thereabouts, Josh Morris was playing reserve grade. On form, he is now as good as any centre in the game.

Prop Sam Kasiano has come on in leaps and bounds. You could run through the entire side and say the same thing.

As for their style of play, I think that also highlights what a remarkable job Des is doing. I don't see the Bulldogs playing like Manly did the past few years. That tells me that he is coaching to the strengths of his players. That is the sign of a smart coach and a good coach -- you're not relying on the one style all the time. Your systems are designed to use the players at your disposal.

Des has done just that and the results are flowing as a result. Nine straight wins and the premiership lead has some suggesting they need a loss before the finals. It's a theory I don't necessarily subscribe to. Winning form is good form and you want to keep that feeling going.

Rather than thinking his side needs a loss, I am sure Des would be more concerned with the need to keep performing and do the basics well. If you stop getting the basics right, the fancy things won't work for you. There will be no foundation.

We won nine straight at the start of the year. Now we play Penrith this afternoon having lost five in a row. What I am seeing is us not being consistent with those things that are important to our game.

When those things start falling away or you're not doing them for as long in a game as you should be, that's when the other stuff will start falling away as well.

I imagine Des would be well aware of that. He's a smart guy. He's always gone out of his way to play the underdog or fly under the radar. Not any more.

Sorry Des. You mightn't like it, but the jig is up. The Bulldogs, at the moment, are the dead-set benchmark in the NRL.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ow-the-benchmark/story-e6frg7t6-1226442524409

simooo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Good read. Agree with most of what is written. However, I still believe there is improvement left in the team.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just because we have strung wins together doesn't mean we need a loss before we go into the semis.
We are showing plenty of desire, speed, have the winning habit, need to forget how many games we have won and concentrate on game day.

Ironhide07

In The Dog House
Reaction score
Hmmm Bellamy shifting focus ey haha that old chestnut.. God damn it Melbourne! Des pull the pin and throw it back.. wait did'nt the Eels get them last week =P

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was actually a good read.. I was smirking reading it picturing Craig writing it hahahaha gotta admit nothing he said was wrong and I do agree there's still improvement left but hey where getting there :grinning:

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
He could be just telling the absolute truth and not playing mind games at all.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
He could be just telling the absolute truth and not playing mind games at all.

But he took the time to write an article about it in a national publication, an article focused on exactly the type of thinking/ forecasting that Des is trying to avoid.

Don't get me wrong, nothing he said was untrue and (maybe I am skeptical) but I think there is some motivation here.

Why would a competitor coach in close contention of the same goal do nothing but praise the efforts of another coach?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for posting dogie :D great read.

Gingerbread Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Craig Bellamy is playing mind games to some extent. Although, It's the same thing that Des has said about every opposition side this year. Focusing on the oppositions positives and shifting attention from us. Having said that, I do believe in what Des always says in that a benchmark side is a side that has been a standout for several years i.e. Storm and Manly. So we are not the benchmark side until we actually achieve something.

You don't want undue attention and the players to start believing hype because things can always go pear shape very quickly - just look at 2009. As Bellamy said we should just focus on getting the basics right week to week. We have plenty to improve on like lowering the penalty count and quicker defensive line speed (cowboys in the second half just rolled right up the middle of us and a few things luckily went our way, otherwise cowboys would have won that, same thing happened with Souths big forwards).

Yet, I am already wrapped about this year. We seem like a cohesive unit where everyone seems to be enjoying themselves and wanting to play for the coach, we will make the 8 if not the top 4 which is a bonus for this years finals format and most pleasing is the development of the young guys like Reynolds, Jackson and Finucane to name just a few.

Bonzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just because we have strung wins together doesn't mean we need a loss before we go into the semis.
We are showing plenty of desire, speed, have the winning habit, need to forget how many games we have won and concentrate on game day.

Couldn't agree more! as long as we turn up with the right attitude we can beat the knights and anyone else along the way.

a doggie

A Doggie
Reaction score
Interesting read, didn't say anything that wasn't true. for Bellamy to make public comment on the dogs and how well we are coached, makes me wonder how worried he is about his own side.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
we lost the second half against newcastle - it now appears we are no longer the benchmark side.

Status
Not open for further replies.