News Cowboys employ minders to stop their players doing dumb shit

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From the Guardian/AAP (but is also being reported elsewhere).

Most clubs have unofficial minders/chaperones to keep players from getting into shit (or at least is becoming public), but the Cowboys have taken it to the next level:

NRL club to employ social minders to create 'safe' environment for all

New measures come after Cowboys’ Scott Bolton admitted touching a woman

Australian Associated Press

Wed 9 Jan 2019 13.27 AEDT

NRL club North Queensland will employ minders for players after forward Scott Bolton admitted to drunkenly touching a woman’s upper thigh in a Sydney court this week.

Cowboys coach Paul Green said they would introduce extra safety measures for players when they go out socially in future after Bolton pleaded guilty to common assault in Waverley Local Court on Monday.

Green said the Cowboys were also in discussions with the NRL over a possible penalty for the married prop regarding the charge.

Bolton avoided conviction and was put on a 12-month good behaviour release order after a charge of indecent assault was withdrawn over the incident at Bondi Beach Public Bar in May last year.

Green said players would also be educated on ways to better “look out for each other” when in public.

“Unfortunately it’s the world we live in these days,” Green said. “We need to be well prepared from that point of view. We have taken steps to make sure that when we do go out in public it’s a safe environment for everyone.”

Asked if the Cowboys would employ minders in future, Green said: “It’s a lot of different things. It’s having people there [minders], it’s making sure we have people looking out for each other. Making sure that when we can see a situation unfolding that we don’t want to put ourselves in we try and nip that in the bud.”

Bolton has returned to Cowboys pre-season training after his court appearance. Following discussions with police, an indecent assault charge was withdrawn and the 31-year-old pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of common assault. Green could not confirm whether the NRL would also penalise Bolton.

“It’s been a really tough period for him understandably. It’s been fairly stressful but he’s come back pretty well,” Green said.

“But we have to remember that initially the charge was indecent assault and that charge got dropped,” Green said. “I think that has been a bit lost in all this. People need to remember that.

“But there’s no doubt it affected everyone [at the Cowboys]. But right from day one he denied any indecent dealings from his point of view. The club has supported Scott on that. It’s been our stance the whole way through. It was not ideal but I think it was a good sign of the culture that we stuck by him here.”

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
tbh i was kinda expecting a betoota advocate article, disappointed now :grinning:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What the players need of course is some mates who aren't connected to the footy team.

If some dick in a pub wants to pick a fight, or starts being an arse, the mate(s) sort them out, and so the player keeps out of it.

How do you think the Roosters spent all those years staying clean (before Mitchell Pearce)? Apart from the obvious kick backs, the players had buffers to keep them out of bad situations.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
“But we have to remember that initially the charge was indecent assault and that charge got dropped,” Green said. “I think that has been a bit lost in all this. People need to remember that
Yea, on a plea deal.
That doesn’t mean he didn’t do it.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wont be too long before we read the first news flash that a drunken NRL star has punched on or assaulted his “social minder”

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yea, on a plea deal.
That doesn’t mean he didn’t do it.
He did plead guilty to the generic assault charge, and admitted he put his hand where it should have been.

But yeah, it's a bit rich for Green to say that.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this shit because Michael Bolton touched a chicks thigh!!!!
Fuck me Roman. It’s not like he stuck his fingers in her clam like Ferguson or beat the shit out of her like Walker.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Imagine being an adult footballer and needing a chaperone on a night out :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
Personal responsibility? This is Australia!

Said/done the wrong thing? Play the mental health card.

OD'ed on drug? It's the guvmints fault for not testing the pill I just took.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Didn't bother reading it because it's a ridiculous concept but either way I'm sure that will help when their finished footy and have to rely on the lessons never learnt while being babied playing footy. Although I'm sure the club/NRL don't give two shites about that sort of thing...…...