Could we see a successful future with DWZ and Okunbor on the wings or do we need replacements?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sadly. NO! In seasons to come (hopefully, sooner rather than later) both these guys will either be at other clubs or out fo the game. I still see hope
in Okenbur but I don’t think he has the heart to be a great winger. He is a huge athlete with size and strength but he doesn’t back his own ability and more times then not can’t beat the last defender because he slows down or stops to look for options instead of running over the top
Of defenders.
DWZ well we’ve seen the best and worst of him and that’s the reason why Panthers were happy to see the back of him. For the contract he is on, the value we get is disastrous.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
They're not ideal (Okunbor was actually quite good in his two games this year) but like others have said we need to address other positions first (especially the spine positions, but also prop). This will give players like DWZ, Okunbor and Reimis a chance (more time) to improve and nail down a wing position before they're given the flick - not being extended (we hope they come good anyways). I think DWZ especially is a player we should be looking to shop around and pay a part of his salary.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
DWZ no way... Okunbur maybe odds are against him with his ACL. I want Addo-Carr and Bailey Simmonson as our wingers but I know that'll never happen

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I think they will do a job this year, but in future we will need to look at something like a Blake Ferguson/Meaney/Carlin Isles combo

SLushY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If both can clean out the negatives in their game (Okky did well to sharpen his defence and had one drop ball which isn't bad). DWZ if he can catch and not fuck up defensive reads then I'd be happy to keep him around unless someone like Tui or another kid comes along.

And as for Okunbor an ACL is a big injury but doesn't mean the end of his career especially these days, he'll come back firing once 100% mentally and physically healthy.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sadly. NO! In seasons to come (hopefully, sooner rather than later) both these guys will either be at other clubs or out fo the game. I still see hope
in Okenbur but I don’t think he has the heart to be a great winger. He is a huge athlete with size and strength but he doesn’t back his own ability and more times then not can’t beat the last defender because he slows down or stops to look for options instead of running over the top
Of defenders.
DWZ well we’ve seen the best and worst of him and that’s the reason why Panthers were happy to see the back of him. For the contract he is on, the value we get is disastrous.
I don’t think okunbor is first grade material.maybe Barrett can Instill some confidence and get him to defend better. Dwz had a shocker this year

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okunbors yardage game is really under estimated.. but then on the other hand he really isn't a finisher.. it's a tough one with him..

As for DWZ he was extremely disappointing this year and unlike okunbor, he is on a fair chunk of money... We all know DWZ can play well, but just does not do it consistently and has far too many crucial errors in his game.. I'd cut our loses with him and move him on asap..

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Okunbor can get there if the can teach him how to read in defence, his attacking game is getting better and better. Injury’s has him a bit hesitant though. If he can get strong he’s a good chance of being good for us and his defensive improvement is a must.
DWZ Runs hard but that’s all I can give him. Should be replaced and dropped or moved on. I think we have better options than him even from our current squad In Smith, Meany to name a couple. We should have held onto Harper over DWZ.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the back 5 looks pretty good for the season start with Meaney, DWZ, Cotric, Hopoate and RSmith. When Okunbor is ready to play he can step up, if he earns it of course, which should keep DWZ and RSmith on their toes.

Go Dogs

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like okunbor and Smith as our wingers given our pool.
Both fast, strong,tall and good on the air. Particularly Smith as he has good hang time in the air and if the ball sticks in his hands he'll get a result most times. But both are so carefree and that needs addressing if they want to be regulars. Turning up every game is not an option but a requirement.

Lukejms15

Waterboy
Reaction score
Both fast, strong,tall and good on the air. Particularly Smith as he has good hang time in the air and if the ball sticks in his hands he'll get a result most times. But both are so carefree and that needs addressing if they want to be regulars. Turning up every game is not an option but a requirement.
I don’t like reimis that much anymore, thought he was good back end of last year when we went on that little run, but his attitude is poor and he hasn’t shown much progression. Make or break season this year for him in my opinion.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t like reimis that much anymore, thought he was good back end of last year when we went on that little run, but his attitude is poor and he hasn’t shown much progression. Make or break season this year for him in my opinion.
You're right. This is a defining season for him. Tbaz is setting a benchmark for releasing players who plod. I don't fancy DWZs chances with him. His basic handling errors turns momentum against us. It demorilizes the team.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Okunbor was much better when he returned but he's just missing that instinct that most of the good wingers today have.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okunbor was much better when he returned but he's just missing that instinct that most of the good wingers today have.
He did come back a better player after that hiatus. Even his hairstyle looked good. Looked quicker too.
I'm hoping this time nursing his untimely injury will give him time to build his thoughts on improving his game on the backend of those 2 good games he had.