Opinion Could 2022 be like 2009?

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Without a real 7 that can steer the ship nope, We need an adam reynolds, pearce/cronk type.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
It has a similar feeling but I just don't think we'll be climbing the ladder higher than 4 or 5 spots.
But with players like JAC, Burton, TPJ (and to a lesser extent Naden) who will come over after a very successful year (and 1 or more with a premiership); in addition to Dufty (albeit nervous) and Vaughan who will hopefully hit the ground running while vying for an extended contract, fingers crossed they can bring some enthusiasm to this team. Coz the club and us fans fukking need it. I'm over feeling depressed ffs lol

ricko_29

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends on how much Burton can carry the playmaking duties, if Flanagan is his partner we are in trouble, unless we give forwards more duties with ball playing.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wish. But I don’t think so sadly. The competition is a lot different now and a lot more unequal. We are years behind the power curve.
This, despite salary cap equality the gap between first and last is huge compared with 12 years ago.

BahaMan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How goods Dogs 2022 beating Parra 8-6 tonight lmao

Lewis

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think the question should be, what's your definition of success with the 2022 roster?
At this stage with the roster we have, lacking experience in the spine and some quality on the edges, we should be competing for the 8.
There's a lot of risk in some of our key signings;
TPJ - Numerous off field issues, but on his day one of the best forwards in the comp.
Vaughan - metre eater we need to unlock Thompson, but not a strong leader which we also need.
Dufty - One of the best attacking fullbacks on his day, but the difference between his best and worst is significant and has issues defensively.
Naden - Gifted player, noted try scorer, but made the decision to get on the coke the night before the grandfinal? Is he mentally strong enough to go to the next level?
Burton - Looks like a superstar in the making but will he be able to make the players around him better like the really good players do, or will he drop a level due to the class of players around him.
If we somehow manage to buy a quality 9 and a tough forward leader I'd confidently say we'll make the 8 and be pushing the top 4, as it is, there's no doubt we'll be on the improve and if we play finals footy we've probably over achieved.
In regard to Burton making the players around him better, a few weeks back when south’s and penrith played, you could see the type of person Burton is when Naden threw the ball at the south’s players after an error, he got up in his face and told him to cut it out and play the game, looks like a genuine leader…

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
whos gonna be mick ennis? that driving ambition is why kanye's album is dope and drakes album is weak

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe yes maybe no it’s in the lap of the gods

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We won’t finish ahead of Penrith, melbourne, south’s if they stay playing well, manly, roosters and eels. 7-9 for me. All we gotta do win half our games and based of this years ladder sharks made the 8 going 10-14 if we stay healthy injury wise and the biggest one is Barret proves himself now that he has a good side we should go alright.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we got the Wooden Spoon in 2008 we finished 2nd in 2009 and finished 1 game short of the GF

We recruited big that year and we have done the same for next year.

Is there any chance of repeating that next year?
No

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes. Because same as 2009 we had shit jerseys , big signings , similar signings from one team broncos ( panthers 2022) , and we are flying under the radar. Only difference is our coach has had a year, I’m giving Trent full support, if we sink in 2022 with the roster we have then sos .. my question is this .. who do we get to coach ? Who would fit our mould ? Not many coaches out there aside from toovey and Flanagan .
No more Manly people!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Before a ball is kicked we have to be aiming for finals. It's a longshot, but we should know after a couple of weeks if it's possible. Recruitment's been about a B+ (great for speed and kicking but we still need a hooker, and our halfback and edge forward options are pretty sus). For me our success will depend on whether TPJ, Thommo and Vaughan can win the middle often enough to give room for Burton to either spark the backline or kick us into good territory - and defence is pretty important of course.

2009 was a great success after excellent recruitment. We didn't have much depth outside the top 17 but didn't get many injuries which really helped. Would be nice if that happened again, and if the Suttons' and Cummins would piss off.
Or if someone could arrange some "accidents" for the referees named, I will chip in. :grinning:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
While I’m a big advocate that things can change dramatically from season to season, 2009 was different because we had quality, established and experienced players in our spine. Our 1, 7, 9 was very very solid in Patten, Kimmorley and Ennis.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think we just need a top hooker.

two ball runners as halves can work with the current rule changes.

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That 2009 side should have been minor premiers if they didn’t get dicked at Kogarah. We aren’t just talking about making the 8 we are talking about being the best side in the comp and going deep into the finals if we want to emulate the 09 side. If we want that too happen we need everything to go right and lots of things to go wrong with other teams. It’s not going to happen.
Am not for a moment suggesting we replicate the efforts of 2009, but would love to hear some of the “experts” here compare the coaching f abilities of K.Moore and Barrett….

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Am not for a moment suggesting we replicate the efforts of 2009, but would love to hear some of the “experts” here compare the coaching f abilities of K.Moore and Barrett….
yes especially and that was moores only finals apperence