Opinion Could 2022 be like 2009?

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When we got the Wooden Spoon in 2008 we finished 2nd in 2009 and finished 1 game short of the GF

We recruited big that year and we have done the same for next year.

Is there any chance of repeating that next year?

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we got the Wooden Spoon in 2008 we finished 2nd in 2009 and finished 1 game short of the GF

I wish. But I don’t think so sadly. The competition is a lot different now and a lot more unequal. We are years behind the power curve.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Pretty unlikely. We should be happy with just getting out of the bottom 4 and even that's 50/50 imo.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

There is a chance BUT we do not have a good 7 or 9. Unless Cook takes to 1st grade like a duck to water & something changes in the half back department, I think we will progress but to just outside the 8. I DO HOPE it is the same though.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
As others have said we need a 7 and 9. That year we had Kimmorley and Ennis.

I think we might be in a chance to make the bottom spot of the 8 (if next year is similar to this), Cronulla are there on 22 points which is ridiculous.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And Kevin Moore was coach.Then sacked mid-season the following year.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As others have said we need a 7 and 9. That year we had Kimmorley and Ennis.

I think we might be in a chance to make the bottom spot of the 8 (if next year is similar to this), Cronulla are there on 22 points which is ridiculous.
Yep we recruited better in the key positions.

Also we had made the semis for 5 straight years before 2008 so we still had some players who knew about success.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The donut centric brigade, concentrating on what we don't have, rather that what we do have, surely won't like it. But the team for 2022 on paper looks way superior to anything we have fielded for the last 5 years. Holy cow there are actually representative players in the 17, real ones too. There's real pace across the paddock, from Thompson to JAC and then back to Dufty. If Barrett can't get this team functioning then there's not much hope for him as a coach.

Always a Bulldog

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That 2009 side should have been minor premiers if they didn’t get dicked at Kogarah. We aren’t just talking about making the 8 we are talking about being the best side in the comp and going deep into the finals if we want to emulate the 09 side. If we want that too happen we need everything to go right and lots of things to go wrong with other teams. It’s not going to happen.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they wind back some of the rules like the six again restarts etc we will probably have the squad to put us in the top six, if not we, should still have the firepower for a top-eight at least.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll be happy if we can push towards 7 and 8th spot. That would be a pass mark. IF we finish bottom 2 or 3 again then the coaching unit need to be reassessed

BahaMan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What a year 2009 was.

That prelim against parra is one of the most enjoyable atmospheres iv experienced
Agreed, up there as one of the greatest games I’ve been too even despite the loss.