Could 2018 be the Morris twins last season in the NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
https://www.zerotackle.com/2018-mor...38/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Zero+Tackle

Jack Blyth
-
January 22, 2018 - 10:29 am

Brett and Josh Morris. Names that will be forever etched in Origin history after their 2014 heroics, but it looks like 2018 may be the end of the twins in the NRL.

Game I of the 2014 State of Origin series, arguably a match that defined the careers of both twins. Queensland had claimed eight straight series, and on their home turf in Brisbane, looked to continue their dominance.

But the tough, gritty efforts from both the Morris boys defined both New South Wales strong defence as well as the side’s love for the jersey,

Brett Morris scored the side’s opening try, breaking his shoulder in the process. Yet you fast forward to the 76th minute and he’s the one making a match, and ultimately series, winning tackle to bundle Darius Boyd into touch.

Josh Morris tore his PCL, an injury still plaguing the centre today. But moments after injuring his knee, Greg Inglis made a break down the sideline. Who ran him down? That’s right, Josh Morris.

The twins started their careers at St George Illawarra, before Josh departed for Belmore in 2010, a move Brett Morris made himself five years later.

But now, as the 2018 season looms closer and closer, it seems the Morris boy’s injuries are catching up to them and may bring a close to their NRL careers.

Brett has failed to play a 20 game season since he played at the Dragons, while Josh has lost that defensive grit that announced him as one of the competition’s premier centres.

Josh’s knee has plagued him since that 2014 injury, while Brett’s hamstrings have caused him to lose that blinding pace he was once known for.

A move to the Super League isn’t off the table for the duo, their English grandfather giving the twins a sense of heritage in the UK. In fact, Wayne Bennett even inquired about selecting the pair for the English international side for the recently passed Rugby League World Cup.

Turning 32 in August 2018 may be the farewell season for the Morris boys in the NRL as they both come off contract. Regardless of whether they play on or not, the twins are sure to be remembered for the superhuman efforts over the last decade.

Brycycles94

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I hope they have a cracker of a season this year. Hopefully they don't cracker a knee or shoulder

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
1 year or maybe 2 at best you would think, depends how they pull up. They were reasonably injury free last year, but Desball.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'd consider giving a Josh a 1 year extension depending on form this season, he has served us well and it's a hard to find a reliable centre these days. Could probably get a bigger deal elsewhere though. Wouldn't consider Brett at this stage though, poor signing by the club and can't seem to adapt without his electric pace, we will see how ge goes thos season though. Wingers are a lot easier to manufacture these dsys though.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’ll be painful to see Jmoz leave the club with no premiership, Most people don’t see the love he has for the club. He genuinely speaks so highly of everything to do with club and knows a fair bit of our history too from the last time I talked with him.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah Jack Blyth has written some stupid article sin the past about us. This one is no different.

Morris brothers if they go okay this year will score a 2 year contract upgrade with 2nd year a club option.

They even stated recently they were in no hurry to enter contract talks.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah Jack Blyth has written some stupid article sin the past about us. This one is no different.

Morris brothers if they go okay this year will score a 2 year contract upgrade with 2nd year a club option.

Great players. And i really appreciate the years of great service Jmoz has given us, but id be incredibly surprised if the club re-signed either of them.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

An UPGRADE???? They are already overpaid for outside backs over 30 who are on the decline. They are our highest paid outside backs and would have to take a big pay cut to stay. Their pace is gone and it will only get worse as they get older.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
They are not 35 yet, we should have the best left flank in the NRL but these days I think its a year by year scenario.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Most people are giving every other player a pass due to DesBall and all but the Morris boys just seem to cop flack. I don’t remember the last time our half created any space for Jmoz to set up his winger, oh wait it was 2012. Or what about Bmoz given the ability to roam around and look for an offload. They were also stuck in Des’ structures and should be given the chance to prove themselves again before people call them over the hill and what not.

Malla

Reaction score
I'd consider giving a Josh a 1 year extension depending on form this season, he has served us well and it's a hard to find a reliable centre these days. Could probably get a bigger deal elsewhere though. Wouldn't consider Brett at this stage though, poor signing by the club and can't seem to adapt without his electric pace, we will see how ge goes thos season though. Wingers are a lot easier to manufacture these dsys though.
Agree with JMoz - will leave a massive hole in our centre depth if he goes. In saying that tho, will have ample cap space to sign on another.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Their futures rely on this years performances. We no longer need them, but if they can add value, we’ll give them a deal.

Malla

Reaction score
Most people are giving every other player a pass due to DesBall and all but the Morris boys just seem to cop flack. I don’t remember the last time our half created any space for Jmoz to set up his winger, oh wait it was 2012. Or what about Bmoz given the ability to roam around and look for an offload. They were also stuck in Des’ structures and should be given the chance to prove themselves again before people call them over the hill and what not.
I blame Des for BMoz because Des signed him on a FB deal which is fucking stupid. The bloke has been here 3 years and hasn't played more than 10 games a year probably lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Because Brett has in general just gone downhill and he hasn't adapted to footy without his pace while also being a terrible signing. The whole Brett to fb was an awful idea and we paid far too much for him.

The biggest thing was Bretts dh running. He used to be real good at it yet these days it's poor in comparison. So many times i saw him get reigned in by the markers simply because he couldn't burn them for pace like he previously could. I can't blame that on our systems or anything, Montoya, Hoppa, Brenko and even Jmoz were better at it.

Brett still has reasonable pace though, so it's not as if he's slow, he just isn't up there with the flyers anymore. But like i said previously, he hasn't adapted to footy without it. To me it looks like he was purely a speed player and almost everything was reliant on his speed, take away that speed and he falls massively behind. He doesn't have many other strengths to fall back on like footwork, a fend, aerial ability, etc like some of the orher wingers today.

Saying all this it could mostly just be a confidence thing, but even then i don't think he will ever reach anywhere close to where he previously was.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Agree with JMoz - will leave a massive hole in our centre depth if he goes. In saying that tho, will have ample cap space to sign on another.
Wanted Scott but the Storm signed him up real quick, don't know anyone else of note on the market. There does seem to be a lack of quality centres around these day, other than Chambers the rep teams mainly just have fullbacks playing there.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just looked into the Morris brothers and ran some stats based on their Hasler periods with respective clubs.

VERY interesting indeed.

Last year:
- Josh had his best season since debut year with Hasler.
- Brett had his best season in Bulldogs colours.
(based on percentage of tries scored compared to teams overall try tally).

Brett over the same period (Haslers reign at Bulldogs) has been the most dangerous of the two brothers, all during his Dragons days.

What is interesting is that both brothers had their breakout season (best season in career) in 2009. In addition both did it scoring 1 more try than the number of games played.

Based on this it is clear the brothers still have a HUGE amount to offer the Dogs and a huge amount to contribute towards the side. I think this year will see the reinvention of the Morris boys and them back to their deadly best.

2017 Season - 65 tries scored
Top Try Scorer - Montoya with 12 tries from 19 games.
Josh Morris (2nd) - 9 tries from 24 games. 13.8% of total tries scored.
Brett Morris (4th) - 6 tries from 18 games. 9.2% of total tries scored.

2016 Season - 93 tries scored
Top Try Scorer - Perrett with 12 tries from 21 games.
Brett Morris (3rd) - 10 tries from 11 games. 10.7% of total tries scored.
Josh Morris (7th) - 6 tries from 23 games. 6.4% of total tries scored.

2015 Season - 102 tries scored (BMoz first season with Dogs)
Top Try Scorer - Rona with 23 tries from 25 games.
Josh Morris (3rd) - 10 tries from 22 games. 9.8% of total tries scored.
Brett Morris (4th) - 9 tries from 16 games. 8.8% of total tries scored.

2014 Season - 88 tries scored.
Top Try Scorer - Lafai with 14 tries from 25 games.
Josh Morris (12th) - 3 tries from 19 games. 3.4% of total tries scored.
Brett Morris (SECOND TOP TRY SCORER AT DRAGONS) - 14 tries from 18 games. 16.2% of total tries scored for Dragons.

2013 Season -
Top Try Scorer - Perrett with 18 tries from 25 games.
Josh Morris (6th) - 5 tries from 22 games. 5.2% of total tries scored.
Brett Morris (SECOND TOP TRY SCORER AT DRAGONS) - 9 tries from 21 games. 13.2% of total tries scored.

2012 Season -
Top Try Scorer - Barba with 22 tries from 27 games.
Josh Morris (2nd) - 17 tries from 26 games. 15.4% of total tries scored.
Brett Morris (TOP TRY SCORER AT DRAGONS) - 14 tries from 23 games. 18.91% of total tries scored.

BREAKOUT SEASON
Josh Morris - 2009 season with Bulldogs (Top Try Scorer). 22 tries from 21 appearances. 21.15% of total tries scored.
Brett Morris - 2009 season with Dragons (Top Try Scorer). 25 tries from 24 appearances. 26% of total tries scored.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah lets just let the Morris bros leave.. we have ready made replacements in Chase Stanley & Holland

Reactions: mez
Status
Not open for further replies.