Cotric wants Sezer at Bulldogs!

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
[emoji993] Cotric wants Sezer at Bulldogs[emoji993]

Canterbury star Nick Cotric believes former Canberra teammate Aidan Sezer belongs in the NRL and wants to see the playmaker in the blue and white of the Bulldogs in 2022.

The Bulldogs missed out on the signature of Shaun Johnson after the Cronulla halfback signed a two-year deal with the Warriors, opting to return home to New Zealand next season.

Cotric is hoping Sezer, who is currently plying his trade for Huddersfield in the English Super League, will have a similar homecoming.

Sezer made his NRL debut for the Gold Coast Titans in 2012 but is a Canterbury local junior and was born and raised in Bankstown, having played his junior football for the East Hills Bulldogs.

“He’s a local junior, it’s his home. He knows a lot of the players already. Aidan and our captain Josh Jackson played in the under 20s together too,” Cotric told The Daily Telegraph.

“I know he loves the club and that he has always wanted to play for the Bulldogs.

“He’s talked about playing for us, that he would love to put that Doggies jersey on in the NRL.”

Canterbury have suggested the club would now turn its attention to signing a middle forward after missing out on Johnson.

But The Daily Telegraph understands one of the reasons the club wanted to sign Johnson was for added experience and mentorship in the halves.

Coach Trent Barrett already has Brandon Wakeham, Jake Averrillo and Kyle Flanagan in his halves stocks with boom Penrith playmaker Matt Burton set to arrive next season. But collectively the playmakers only have 102 NRL games to their names.

Cotric believes Sezer, who helped guide Canberra to its first grand final appearance in 25 years in 2019, would be an invaluable asset to the side’s young halves.

“He’s an old head and knows how to control a game,” Cotric said.

“He helped us at Canberra to a grand final. I remember that game against Canterbury when he came back from injury, we beat them because of his kicking game. He kicked three field goals for us to beat Cronulla at the end of the season. He was killing it in the NRL before he left and he’s been playing well over there for Hudderfield too.”

As well as Burton, Canterbury will welcome Melbourne flyer Josh Addo-Carr and Penrith outside back Brent Naden in 2022.

“The signings that we have coming in next year will make a huge difference, I really feel like there are some exciting times ahead for the club,” Cotric said.FB_IMG_1624756252326.jpg

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who was it on the kennel that said Sezer is coming back?

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
I think he would be good for the team, especially Burton. Apparently been carving up in England and he was pretty good for Wighton in 2019 to help him play his true game as a 5/8. May be able to do the same thing for Burton as well as directing the team around. He’s a better leader than Johnson but lacks the attacking skills.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is a band aid solution there for he is not coming

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
[emoji993] Cotric wants Sezer at Bulldogs[emoji993]

Canterbury star Nick Cotric believes former Canberra teammate Aidan Sezer belongs in the NRL and wants to see the playmaker in the blue and white of the Bulldogs in 2022.

The Bulldogs missed out on the signature of Shaun Johnson after the Cronulla halfback signed a two-year deal with the Warriors, opting to return home to New Zealand next season.

Cotric is hoping Sezer, who is currently plying his trade for Huddersfield in the English Super League, will have a similar homecoming.

Sezer made his NRL debut for the Gold Coast Titans in 2012 but is a Canterbury local junior and was born and raised in Bankstown, having played his junior football for the East Hills Bulldogs.

“He’s a local junior, it’s his home. He knows a lot of the players already. Aidan and our captain Josh Jackson played in the under 20s together too,” Cotric told The Daily Telegraph.

“I know he loves the club and that he has always wanted to play for the Bulldogs.

“He’s talked about playing for us, that he would love to put that Doggies jersey on in the NRL.”

Canterbury have suggested the club would now turn its attention to signing a middle forward after missing out on Johnson.

But The Daily Telegraph understands one of the reasons the club wanted to sign Johnson was for added experience and mentorship in the halves.

Coach Trent Barrett already has Brandon Wakeham, Jake Averrillo and Kyle Flanagan in his halves stocks with boom Penrith playmaker Matt Burton set to arrive next season. But collectively the playmakers only have 102 NRL games to their names.

Cotric believes Sezer, who helped guide Canberra to its first grand final appearance in 25 years in 2019, would be an invaluable asset to the side’s young halves.

“He’s an old head and knows how to control a game,” Cotric said.

“He helped us at Canberra to a grand final. I remember that game against Canterbury when he came back from injury, we beat them because of his kicking game. He kicked three field goals for us to beat Cronulla at the end of the season. He was killing it in the NRL before he left and he’s been playing well over there for Hudderfield too.”

As well as Burton, Canterbury will welcome Melbourne flyer Josh Addo-Carr and Penrith outside back Brent Naden in 2022.

“The signings that we have coming in next year will make a huge difference, I really feel like there are some exciting times ahead for the club,” Cotric said.View attachment 25807
Cotric is out of line !
Unless we already have signed him !?!?

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I suggested Sezer a while back before SJ became available.

Bandaid solution.... yes.

We need immediate experience in the spine and he gives us a kicking game and organisation. I don't want all the pressure to fall onto Burton

Sezer is better than our other options, wouldn't cost a heap, I say yes bring him if possible

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
I suggested Sezer a while back before SJ became available.

Bandaid solution.... yes.

We need immediate experience in the spine and he gives us a kicking game and organisation. I don't want all the pressure to fall onto Burton

Sezer is better than our other options, wouldn't cost a heap, I say yes bring him if possible
I agree that he would be a bandaid solution, but we definitely need the experience and especially his leadership and organisation. He would be what we wanted Flanagan to be and would also provide valuable experience for our younger players like Rhajab and BBO to come in and take over in a few years. Would really like this signing because he also loves the club!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He had a good year with Canberra but other than that is pretty inconsistent, not sure how much he would add or how much benefit to the younger halves it would be.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He had a good year with Canberra but other than that is pretty inconsistent, not sure how much he would add or how much benefit to the younger halves it would be.
I honestly believe we just need a competent half with a kicking game just to assist Burton. I'd take a decent band aid for 1-2 years.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The intention was to try and have an experienced half with burton .

Blake green was signed to try and provide some stability and direction and you have seen how bad we’ve been in halves this year .

I love Averillo as a player but I hate him as a half and I’d take anyone right now if it means Averillo shifts somewhere else

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think a big factor is where Averillo is going to be playing. Wherever it is they need to go all in and lock him in there. If it’s fullback we are going to have to look at someone like Sezer but if Averillo is going to be in the halves we should just roll the dice and use him with Burton.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Averilos future lies at fullback. He is a great ball runner, with a decent enough kicking and passing game, but not so great that he will become a fantastic half or 5/8. But this skill set utilised at fullback would be awesome!
This said, we need a half to take his place, until we can bring through the young halves like BBO and Rajab. A bandaid solution? Perhaps. But we need this.