Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Incompetent

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you honestly believe?

Are the refs blatantly corrupt and influencing games or is every ref incompetent and gets it wrong more than they get it right?

PS not just against us, I'm talking about the whole NBL, I mean NRLol
Column A column B brother. I tend to lean towards incompetence as I don't think any of the refs are smart enough to be corrupt without being obvious.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the ref's have an unconscious bias for and against teams and players. The bias is fed by media commentary, past experiences, location of the event, impact of the outcome (how result plays into a fairytale), influences from other refs have(through training and how another ref conducts themselves on field) , and perhaps even social issues. They pick up on the general "vibe" a club or player has within the broader community and make judgement on that. We all have unconscious bias, and it takes alot of effort, and integrity to stamp it out.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think the ref's have an unconscious bias for and against teams and players. The bias is fed by media commentary, past experiences, location of the event, impact of the outcome (how result plays into a fairytale), influences from other refs have(through training and how another ref conducts themselves on field) , and perhaps even social issues. They pick up on the general "vibe" a club or player has within the broader community and make judgement on that. We all have unconscious bias, and it takes alot of effort, and integrity to stamp it out.
And why nothing much will change till we get a good roster winning games despite the refs unconscious bias.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Where is Option C, my favourite option, "All of the Above".
In this case my second favourite Option D, "None of the Above", can't possibly apply.

Always a Bulldog

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What do you honestly believe?

Are the refs blatantly corrupt and influencing games or is every ref incompetent and gets it wrong more than they get it right?

PS not just against us, I'm talking about the whole NBL, I mean NRLol
They probably have their biases,

they have to interact with teams, players, coaches and trainers so they probably have a different perspective to us fans.

They don’t look at them as stars, or footy players, they also see them as people they have to work with, some they like, dislike.

Those biases might influence the way they ref certain people. I think the majority would try to uphold ethical decision making but a few I think don’t.

But like it’s on TV and heaps of people are watching plus the media are oft to criticise so they would really have to try and be fair

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Cummins is doing the game between Newcastle and the Tigers this week. Once again he is allocated a game where the home team is the only team in that city, playing against a Sydney team. Watch for a big penalty count in favour of Newcastle where the big majority of the crowd will be riding him to blow the whistle in their direction. The legend of “home ground Ben”, will keep growing.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The perfect thread for nonperforming experts and no-nothing keyboard coaches.
However, I will say definitely, "inconsistent."

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
t
And why nothing much will change till we get a good roster winning games despite the refs unconscious bias.
When players see bias it will always have an adverse effect on their morale, particularily when they are fatigued, and that will always make it harder to get to the top and stay there or there abouts.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think either, I believe they are unintentionally biased.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cummins is doing the game between Newcastle and the Tigers this week. Once again he is allocated a game where the home team is the only team in that city, playing against a Sydney team. Watch for a big penalty count in favour of Newcastle where the big majority of the crowd will be riding him to blow the whistle in their direction. The legend of “home ground Ben”, will keep growing.
Everyone get your money on Newcastle :grinning:

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This morning I played Golf at my local course at Barden Ridge.

Spoke to a guy there who refereed for over 20 in the Sharks Juniors, I refereed in Western Suburbs (Ashfield).

I asked him what he thought of round one.

His answer was ”I wish referees would ping what they see in front of them, and not what they hear the home crowd baying for”. Most fans have NFI what the rules are.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Little bit of column A…little bit of column B….

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Biased which is a form of corruption, if they weren't they would ref fairly regardless of who was playing.