Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
What I think is interesting is that almost the whole of the northern hemisphere is experiencing an increase in cases at the exact same time. Which makes you think the key factor involved must be something on a macro level like number of hours of sunshine per day, or some other weather related factor.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What I think is interesting is that almost the whole of the northern hemisphere is experiencing an increase in cases at the exact same time. Which makes you think the key factor involved must be something on a macro level like number of hours of sunshine per day, or some other weather related factor.
It is interesting.

Could be sunlight and season. Generally coronaviruses and similar viruses are stronger in winter due to less sunlight (UV being a natural anti-viral) and cold weather encouraging people to huddle. So I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Worldometer shows that the volume of live cases never dipped and has always been on a steady incline, the only reason it didn't exponentially grow as per predicted model is because most people did follow preventative measures but the free radicals spread it around .. Countries really need to go into lockdown to bring it under control

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sometimes it takes an accident, or even a disaster, for society to find a new and better way of doing things. This might be one of those times. It'd be nice to come out of this with some decent positives, and having such clear proof about a way to reduce flu seems a pretty decent positive.

Taking the big picture, if a working vaccine is being distributed widely among the population some time next year, that will be a really remarkable turn around. It will be a first in world history, where something as contagious and worldwide as Covid19 is gotten under relative control in less than 2 years. It quite simply has no precedent.
I like how you can see a good side to this. I think you're right sometimes we need to hit rock bottom to grow.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Worldometer shows that the volume of live cases never dipped and has always been on a steady incline, the only reason it didn't exponentially grow as per predicted model is because most people did follow preventative measures but the free radicals spread it around .. Countries really need to go into lockdown to bring it under control
Last round of lockdowns didn’t bring it under control. Why would u think they would be effective second time round?

what if there is never a vaccine, or at least which is there is only a vaccine which is partially effective.

life can’t go on with lockdowns.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Last round of lockdowns didn’t bring it under control. Why would u think they would be effective second time round?

what if there is never a vaccine, or at least which is there is only a vaccine which is partially effective.

You can say that about anything..

"What if there is never a vaccine?"

Fair call. Let's make sure as many as possible die now on the slight chance that a vaccine will never be released (even though we have working vaccines that only need to be fully tested for safety)

Here's some other intelligent ideas along those lines:

"What if an asteroid wipes out all humans?"

It's a possibility so let's just all give up on life right now

"What if I'm immune to poison?"

Good question. You won't know until you try.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Something to think about:
On May 31, global cumulative cases were approx 6,000,000 and deaths approx 400,000 — a death rate of 0.07. Today, cumulative cases are approx 43,000,000 and deaths approx 1,000,000 — a death rate of 0.02.
Even in the US, the cumulative death rate today is half of what it was in May – 0.06 then vs 0.03 today.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The non compliance factor , the minority ,prevent lockdown from being the quickest and most effective way to contain and eradicate the disease.

Lock down does work see nsw, qld, vic, WA, new Zealand etc...

Coronavirus or SARS from 2002 was eradicated by Chinese govt imposing strict lockdown and quarantine measures to interrupt human to human contact and as such hasn't been seen since 2003 .

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
The non compliance factor , the minority ,prevent lockdown from being the quickest and most effective way to contain and eradicate the disease.

Lock down does work see nsw, qld, vic, WA, new Zealand etc...

Coronavirus or SARS from 2002 was eradicated by Chinese govt imposing strict lockdown and quarantine measures to interrupt human to human contact and as such hasn't been seen since 2003 .
NZ had one of the stricter styles of lockdown, attempted to eradicate it only for the virus to reappear a few months later.

Also, I don’t think Australia and NZ are good comparison countries given their wild differences to most of Europe, americas and other regions. We are both island nations, extremely low population density, smaller populations and far less migration than takes place in Europe for example.

Sweden as another example never locked down and never used masks and are currently seeing a fraction of the deaths of other European neighbours who did lock down and use masks.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
NZ had one of the stricter styles of lockdown, attempted to eradicate it only for the virus to reappear a few months later.

Also, I don’t think Australia and NZ are good comparison countries given their wild differences to most of Europe, americas and other regions. We are both island nations, extremely low population density, smaller populations and far less migration than takes place in Europe for example.

Sweden as another example never locked down and never used masks and are currently seeing a fraction of the deaths of other European neighbours who did lock down and use masks.
I have a feeling Sweden will start copping it soon. The cases started going up rapidly 2 weeks ago and now the lead Epidemiologist is saying that hospitals are approaching capacity and the health care system is struggling.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

There just needs to be close to 100% compliance for lock down to work. Fines and heavy police involvement need to be deployed as well . See China....

I suspect Sweden are just not reporting cases as they have actively chosen to to live with it.. therefore although Sweden has testing it's not pushed or encouraged and so data is going to be much lower..

The 1918 Spanish flu was only named the Spanish flu not because it originated in Spain but because Spain actively reported cases and ended up winning the Spanish flu Olympics tallyboard whilst most other countries just lived with it.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
There just needs to be close to 100% compliance for lock down to work. Fines and heavy police involvement need to be deployed as well . See China....
hehe hard to know if you’re just cracking jokes or not. It almost sounds like you would have been turned on by dictator Dan forcing the entire state of Victoria into their homes for 23 hours a day.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Currently under a lockdown here and as of yet not doing a whole lot of good. Up to over 1600 new cases every day. However, lockdown in the past worked so hopefully things will improve in the coming weeks.

Definitely won't enter the debate as to what's the best way to handle this whole thing, as I'm definitely not smart enough nor have the energy for such debates. But, ge grateful that you're in Aus where the whole thing has been handles reasonably well (depending on where you live) ;)

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Currently under a lockdown here and as of yet not doing a whole lot of good. Up to over 1600 new cases every day. However, lockdown in the past worked so hopefully things will improve in the coming weeks.

Definitely won't enter the debate as to what's the best way to handle this whole thing, as I'm definitely not smart enough nor have the energy for such debates. But, ge grateful that you're in Aus where the whole thing has been handles reasonably well (depending on where you live) ;)
Where r u?

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have a feeling Sweden will start copping it soon. The cases started going up rapidly 2 weeks ago and now the lead Epidemiologist is saying that hospitals are approaching capacity and the health care system is struggling.
Apart from having a small population which can accounts for the lower volume of people who have it . The virus itself seems to be genetically superior in lasting much longer in the body, on surfaces that will not just go away without intervention to interrupt human to human. It will follow the model of exponentially spiking but just a slower rate

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Sorry to hear you're going through lockdown. I hope its only for a short period until the virus is under control.. Do you have contact tracing etc..? What country do you live in?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're going through lockdown. I hope its only for a short period until the virus is under control.. Do you have contact tracing etc..? What country do you live in?
Slovenia. Contact tracing stopped a while ago as they couldn't keep up with the rise. Apparently all of Europe is going to introduce some newer & quicker testing which is done within a day or something, but being honest I've stopped paying too much attention to it all :grinning:

Lockdown's OK. Not much of a social type anyway, so keeping to ourselves (the wife & kids) is perfectly fine. Has hit the business pretty hard, but everyone can say that. It's just a part of life atm, and something we all need to get through.

Main thing is to stay positive :grinning:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The 1918 Spanish flu was only named the Spanish flu not because it originated in Spain but because Spain actively reported cases and ended up winning the Spanish flu Olympics tallyboard whilst most other countries just lived with it.
Yup that's my understanding of it, most of the other countries were at war, and as part of their control of information policies to do with the war, they suppressed reporting on the flu, so as to not effect morale. Spain was neutral, they didn't have any such policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.