Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
From what I've read it's not airborne like you'd find with Chickenpox for example, however it's still largely in the air and passed much quicker this way. The issue is that we've all been told it's only surface transfer, when in fact waching your hands doesn't really protect you that much (although it isn't bad to do). It's making sure you're not too close up to people which is something I'm only really discovering now when I'm under quarantine not when I was teaching room fulls of school children. If one of them was infected I'm fucked! Stupid arse government.

This Coronavirus, like the MERS and SARS before it, is an influenza not limited by seasons. So my concern is what we do after quarantine as it'll still be there.

People are talking about Italy, Spain, and to a lesser extent Slovenia but I honestly thing England is the one that's going to get fucked the most. The NHS is a shambles already, the government is doing absolutely nothing to stop the spread other than saying to wash their hands (ineffective as previously mentioned). I can honestly see a huge amount of deaths etc. there over the next few weeks. It's going to be horrible.
Yeah, but washing hands still helps. The fortunate part about the airborne part is that it's reliant on certain things. For example, it needs to be a humid environment and it needs a way to get to the air. That's either by someone coughing/sneezing or by evaporation. In either case if it's not warm enough then the virus will just drop to the ground. It doesn't hang around in the air for a long time. That's why it's best still not to touch your face.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
All the big 4 have tested or are testing their infrastructure this week. These companies are all equipped to handle WFH for everyone which is good. Just need to boost up so the system can handle the extra load. But I don’t know how the government services such as ASIC will do it.
SOmeone very close to me works at one of the big 4. THey've told me they haven't issue a company wide WFH policy because they realised their VPN can only handle 4000 connections at any one time. Not great when you have more than 15000 employees.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
SOmeone very close to me works at one of the big 4. THey've told me they haven't issue a company wide WFH policy because they realised their VPN can only handle 4000 connections at any one time. Not great when you have more than 15000 employees.
I know at least 1 has already tested the capacity and another is doing so this week. Not sure about the other two. They will probably have to upgrade whatever it is to do with the capacity to enable everyone to work from home because that’s really the only obstacle stopping them from doing so.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
BTW, the latest research coming out of China shows that many in the 30 - 40 year old range are contracting the virus and dying from unknown causes. It's still a much lower percentage than old people but they are dying.

Generally in the older population what ends up killing people is Sepsis. They contract the virus then that leads to infections that shuts down the lungs, heart or other major organs. That's why people with respiratory issues or heart conditions are at highest risk. It's also why respirators don't work for everyone as a respirator won't keep your heart going. But with the younger people there's no definite cause. Some have the virus and just die with no sign of Sepsis.
Sheesh...

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He was quiet in the first quarter as it's a tougher comp but the rest of the quarters he was back to his rampaging best. His defence is better than ever and had 4 20m+ runs, most while dragging players.
Don't you dare let him play for anyone but the Dogs......I want to be able to read the news in years to come " Young EJ shows heart and courage just like his Dad......"

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sheesh...
Important to note that they still said that the death rates in the young people is still very small. The concern is more about the cause of death.

Another paper from this morning shows that the virus causes infections in many organs including the heart, lungs, kidneys, bladder, stomach, and a little bit in the Central nervous system.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Important to note that they still said that the death rates in the young people is still very small. The concern is more about the cause of death.

Another paper from this morning shows that the virus causes infections in many organs including the heart, lungs, kidneys, bladder, stomach, and a little bit in the Central nervous system.
Protocol for Operation Lockdown Mr95% has been enacted ..

Aim.. to keep him 100%

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All you need to look at is the examples of Italy, Iran, and China.

If immediate action isn't taken, like happened in South Korea, then the consequences are dire. From what I read once it reaches a certain level, I think it's around the 20 day mark?, then the rate the infected cases multiples is too large for the health system to keep up with. In Lombardy, Italy the hospitals are about the collapse as they simply don't have anymore beds or resources to deal with the spike in numbers.

My concern with Australia is that people haven't really been taking it all that seriously. Yes, people have bought lots of shit like an apocalypse is coming but are they ensuring that they're staying clean, not coming into contact with people etc.? I'm not there, so maybe you guys can answer that?

In Slovenia atm people aren't taking it seriously enough and I can only see things getting worse. Much worse. Hopefully the same doesn't happen.

What is clear though is that this is only the beginning. We may be able to slow the infection rate by quaratine, but what will happen when we stop that? Imagine the same thing again?!?!?!
Mate so true. It is frightening for everyone and a lot are saying that governments are simply using knee jerk reactions and that there is no need to bring in such strict and stringent guidelines. I for one am happy that our government is being pro active and learning from what is happening in other countries. Apparently we are about three weeks behind the advance of the illness in Italy and we can all see just how that is progressing over there. The virus loves the cooler conditions hence its escalation in the northern hemisphere. Our turn very well might come in a few weeks to a month with our winter cold and flu season to be upon us. That is another reason to try and keep ahead of it.

People, it is scary but it does not have to be all doom and gloom. Hand washing has proven to be the best defence in stopping the spread. Resist the urge to touch your face especially mouth, nose and eyes as it uses the mucous membranes to gain access to your system. Just this morning I reported for my hospital duty as a pink lady and the following happened....1. a masked staff member opened door using the emergency button on the inside ( with their elbow might I add) 2. I had to immediately sanitise my hands using an alcohol based 70% liquid 3. My temperature was taken and recorded 4. I then had to complete and sign a document stating that I have not been in contact with anyone returning from overseas etc. 5.Visiting hours of our community hospital has been cut to 1 hour only between 12-1pm. 6.Noted cleaning staff ALL wearing gloves, changing them regularly.We are not allowed to issue anything that can be passed patient to patient now or in the foreseeable future e.g book, papers, magazines.I was not offended nor upset by any of this.
Patients are being discharged as soon as practicable.

We have had a positive case here with a returning traveler from Italy being confirmed after they reported they were unwell, but not until after they had been at the local shopping centre the day they arrived back in town. That one exposure can be enough to get the ball rolling so any preventative measures that can be put in place are beneficial. Once the virus gets a hold it is a bit too late.

You are correct in your concern regarding what comes after quarantine although if we are to believe the reports from China they have managed to slow the progress. In saying that how many lies were told in the first place? I likened it to a child breaking something and scooping it into a cupboard to hide it. Don't want to get into trouble for doing it. Who knows what will come but on a positive note Australian scientists are leading the way in an effort to find a vaccine or a cure to the virus using medication that treats malaria and another HIV. Clinical trials may begin soon.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/heal...ers-within-reach-of-coronavirus-cure-c-746655

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not good. My dad is high risk too. That's why I'm keeping a close eye on it.

Unfortunately we're at the very early stage in Australia. But the virus is already in every state and it hit the Central Coast last week.
Mid North coast too....:upset: Stay safe

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We did yes

but to be very honest we are starting to buy a lot more than usual

more canned food, pasta, rice etc.

Because of these people panic buying we are forced to think about ourselves

couldn’t even buy toilet paper, it’s actually becoming a joke.

But I also get it, the why. I read and I hope it’s true, the big grocery chains will look at putting limits on certain items so it’s entirely fare for everyone.
It has now become a scenario of think of yourself. Unlike the fire situation which did not directly impact everyone, people opened their hearts to those who had been directly affected. The difference here is that everyone is potentially at risk.
I know it is easy to say, but common sense, compassion and understanding should be foremost. But when push comes to shove, survival mode kicks in and we narrow our view of things to concentrate on our self and those near and dear to us. It is easy to say but we all need to work together not against each other.

I am gobsmacked when I go to buy milk and see the empty shelves but what concerns me most is the way in which others treat those around them jostling and racing to get the last pack of pasta or toilet paper. Glad to see the big two grocery chains have commenced an hour of trade between 7am-8am when only the elderly and disabled are allowed in the store. They are our most vulnerable and if we are sensible there is plenty to go around if others practice a bit of self control... Just the other day a good neighbour who is doing it tough asked to borrow $50 to tide them over for some groceries and we were happy to oblige. We are not wealthy ourselves by any stretch of the imagination but a bit of pay it forward never hurt anyone because we know if push came to shove they would do something for us. I know we will get the money back ....these are good people who are one of the first to lend a hand should something need doing. We watch their back and they watch ours. Just the way it should be.

Last edited:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Condoms are selling out because people are wearing them on their fingers to protect from coronavirus

People around the world have scrambled into grocers and drug stores to stock up on protective gear as the coronavirus scare surges.

But some have interpreted the “protective” to in a rather creative way; panic-purchasing condoms and putting them on their fingers so they can push lift buttons in public buildings.

This is the world we live in.

The new trend – spotted in Australia and Singapore, so far – has seen shelves once packed with condom boxes barren and empty. Baskets are being packed with packets of condoms as paranoia surrounding COVID-19 reaches its climax.

Siddharth Misra@sidart_misra

· 13 Feb 2020
Condoms in Singapore sold out amidst coronavirus fear. Since Singaporeans have been using the condom as a protective measure when touching the elevator buttons in their apartments and other buildings to prevent being contaminated.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/03/...stralia-singapore-twitter-ryde-district-mums/
Oh well population explosion in nine months time. Hope they bulk buy because count the ways in which you touch things each and every day everywhere....

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh well population explosion in nine months time. Hope they bulk buy because count the ways in which you touch things each and every day everywhere....
Saw a post on Facebook yesterday that said, "we're going to have a large amount of the population quarantined with no sport on TV. In 9 months we'll have a population explosion and the new generation will be known as 'Coronials'"

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You do what you can and what you need.
Thank you..my motto ‘Short term pain..long term gains..’

This virus will pass..and perhaps..just perhaps..hopefully..it may bring the world a little closer together..

ps..And I will be keeping your brother in my thoughts..I’m sure he’ll fight the good fight..if you are any indication of how caring your family is..he will be in great hands..:blush:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Basic summary is:

In Italy and China were seeing low mortality rates for 30-40 year olds and high mortality rates for older people because the governments are making the decision to save the young people instead of the old people. There's large amounts of young people on respirators in ICU while the old people are dying due to lack of treatment.

Old people are still at much higher risk but the numbers are skewed by that fact.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Basic summary is:

In Italy and China were seeing low mortality rates for 30-40 year olds and high mortality rates for older people because the governments are making the decision to save the young people instead of the old people. There's large amounts of young people on respirators in ICU while the old people are dying due to lack of treatment.

Old people are still at much higher risk but the numbers are skewed by that fact.
Part of the plan, out of all us useless eaters, the old and sick will be the first to go.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've de
Basic summary is:

That is always going to be the problem with the stats too. I am afraid if things go really pear shaped the hard decisions will need to be made. There are only so many ICU beds for everyone, not only virus sufferers but heart patients, accident victims etc. I love my sci- fi and there are so many movies that have this type of premise.

Status
Not open for further replies.