Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anyone who can tell you what is definitely going to happen is lying. The people who know the most, virology experts etc, are on record saying there is still a lot that is not understood about Covid19.

Which is why you'll find that anything the experts say is qualified "might, may, could, potentially" etc, because they just aren't certain. Panic merchants take this as a reason to panic, and skeptics than knee jerk to the panic and ignore the experts altogether.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The media and so called "experts" in the media.

So there's really not much to worry about
I wouldn't consider the World Health Organisation to be "The Media"

They're the global authority on infectious diseases.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone who can tell you what is definitely going to happen is lying. The people who know the most, virology experts etc, are on record saying there is still a lot that is not understood about Covid19.

Which is why you'll find that anything the experts say is qualified "might, may, could, potentially" etc, because they just aren't certain. Panic merchants take this as a reason to panic, and skeptics than knee jerk to the panic and ignore the experts altogether.
Yep. That's the important part. There's still way too many unknowns.

There is enough data available to say that it's going to be very wide spread but beyond that it's educated guesses.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My company has offered 10 days paid leave for anyone who contracts Covid-19. Problem is that it needs to be confirmed by a doctor and in Australia we're only testing people if they have symptoms and have been to Asian or European hotspots. So I think an emergency trip needs to happen.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My company has offered 10 days paid leave for anyone who contracts Covid-19. Problem is that it needs to be confirmed by a doctor and in Australia we're only testing people if they have symptoms and have been to Asian or European hotspots. So I think an emergency trip needs to happen.
This seems daft, don't you reckon? What about people who haven't been overseas, but have been in contact with someone they have since learned tested positive, and now have all the symptoms? They don't meet the criteria for being tested.

A

Alexander the Great

I know a few leb doctors from da area that will get whatever certificates and reports done for you for cheap.
200 300 bucks max

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This seems daft, don't you reckon? What about people who haven't been overseas, but have been in contact with someone they have since learned tested positive, and now have all the symptoms? They don't meet the criteria for being tested.
Yeah, they covered that too. If you're in contact with someone who is confirmed to have the disease or who has traveled to a hotspot then you can be tested. Problem is that most people would pick up the virus in public by touching the same surface as someone else who had it. So it is a pretty weak testing criteria but I do understand why they're doing it. Limited testing supplies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
True, but I still think they are making it out to be bigger than it actually is
I think they're mainly trying to get people to contain it before it actually does become a major problem.

I think we're screwed either way though. If we don't do anything then it spreads easily. People die, it goes away on its own. If we do what we've started doing now then the global economy shuts down and everyone goes into a recession which could potentially lead to more deaths.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah, they covered that too. If you're in contact with someone who is confirmed to have the disease or who has traveled to a hotspot then you can be tested. Problem is that most people would pick up the virus in public by touching the same surface as someone else who had it. So it is a pretty weak testing criteria but I do understand why they're doing it. Limited testing supplies.
I framed my remark generically, but I actually made it because I have first hand knowledge of someone who has been in contact with someone who has tested positive, has the symptoms (high temp, dry cough, body aches, headache, runny nose, slight difficulty breathing), and went to two hospitals (one Westmead, I can't remember what the other one was), and was not given a test because he hasn't been overseas.

This was two days ago.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Honestly it was always coming. But I do worry about the reaction. Australia won't carry out any measures too hectic but many other countries could start doing China style quarantine.

Side note, the patent you linked is a different coronavirus. There's many different types of Coronavirus and the only real link between them is that they look the same under a microscope
Are all coronas man made?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I framed my remark generically, but I actually made it because I have first hand knowledge of someone who has been in contact with someone who has tested positive, has the symptoms (high temp, dry cough, body aches, headache, runny nose, slight difficulty breathing), and went to two hospitals (one Westmead, I can't remember what the other one was), and was not given a test because he hasn't been overseas.

This was two days ago.
Wow. That's pretty shocking.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Are all coronas man made?
Nah. Most are natural but a few are man made. We create viruses because they are a great delivery system. Create a non-harmful virus and splice it with a cure for something then it spreads the cure on its own.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.
I might give it a week and see what cancellations occur.
Trump has a press conference soon too so who knows.
Just to clarify, if I got the virus I won’t travel but just mean I’m not concerned if I get it later, as long as I don’t infect others, especially those more vulnerable.

Most of the things I had planned were with large crowds and I doubt they’ll go ahead when similar events are being cancelled in the same cities.
Thanks again

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Stolen from Facebook:

UK Virus ALERT

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent virus threat and have therefore raised their threat level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, level may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.”

The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out.

The virus has been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.” The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let's Get the Bastard.” They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its alert level from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” Two more levels remain: “Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels: “Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its alert level from “No worries” to “She'll be alright, Mate.” Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.” So far, no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level.

The Russians have said “Its not us”

Note: I have adapted this slightly from an original monty python script to highlight the bullshit and hysteria ongoing on about this virus .. that’s the “real” bit ..have a nice day. Especially that Twat Helm.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Irish, meanwhile, have responded to the threat by fitting all their submarines with flyscreen doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.