Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
To be fair. The long term effects still cant be determined.

Some of the neurological symptoms that occur are not just exclusive to covid akd are pretty common amongst other aspects of life in general.

The common cold can cause headaches, a loss of smell and confusion. Me looking at a computer screen for too long causes nausea, headaches and confusion. When i eat peanuts i cant smell.

Shit. Ask and married man. My wife causes me a headache and to be confused at least once a week without fail. (Not relative i know, but good for a bit of humor).

Those stats you mentioned are a bit ambiguous unless it can be broken down to what percentage suffered headaches, loss of smell or confusion or opposed to more more serious neurological symptoms.
Yeah, it's not massive things at this stage. The researchers all said that it's way too early to tell how bad the long term effects will be and they couldn't be barely anything at all.

It's much like the small factor side effects (stroke, liver damage, heart damage, foot infections, Kawasaki disease). These all seem really odd and concerning but if you speak to epidemiologists they say that this isn't really anything out of the ordinary. All viruses have weird low chance secondary effects.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Today's figures of record 86,000 new daily cases in India.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
COVID-19 Australia: Epidemiology Report Page 22

"78% of deaths recorded at least one of the specified comorbidities. Only 9% recorded no comborbidity".

i.e. less than 10% of all COVID related deaths in Australia were caused purely by the virus.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
COVID-19 Australia: Epidemiology Report Page 22

"78% of deaths recorded at least one of the specified comorbidities. Only 9% recorded no comborbidity".

i.e. less than 10% of all COVID related deaths in Australia were caused purely by the virus.
You're not going to start pushing this meme, are you?

Let me point out what you're saying:

- man has heart disease. Expected life span, 30 more years. Gets Covid-19 and dies. Obviously heart disease

- woman has chronic diabetes. Expected life span, 40 more years. Gets Covid-19 and dies. Obviously diabetes

- compromised immune system. Expected life span, 10 - 30 years. Gets Covid-19 and dies...

I'll let a Doctor explain it to you

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
You're not going to start pushing this meme, are you?

Let me point out what you're saying:

- man has heart disease. Expected life span, 30 more years. Gets Covid-19 and dies. Obviously heart disease

- woman has chronic diabetes. Expected life span, 40 more years. Gets Covid-19 and dies. Obviously diabetes

- compromised immune system. Expected life span, 10 - 30 years. Gets Covid-19 and dies...

I'll let a Doctor explain it to you

No I’m not saying that.

I’m saying that this information should be given to us by government and the media instead of running constant scare campaigns as if any of us could just drop dead if we get the virus.

Instead, inform people that the likelihood they will die (if they are healthy and under ~65 is incredibly tiny.

inform people that living a healthy lifestyle, not smoking, maintaining a healthy weight and balanced exercise is probably the most productive thing we can all do for ourselves.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No I’m not saying that.

I’m saying that this information should be given to us by government and the media instead of running constant scare campaigns as if any of us could just drop dead if we get the virus.

Instead, inform people that the likelihood they will die (if they are healthy and under ~65 is incredibly tiny.

inform people that living a healthy lifestyle, not smoking, maintaining a healthy weight and balanced exercise is probably the most productive thing we can all do for ourselves.
They do that. The government and the media have both pointed out the comorbidity thing and discussed staying healthy many times.

The government lists the risk factors and advice to doctors and patients

All the WHO advice and government advice all list risk factors.

Even the media lists a lot of this stuff. I know because I have many Libertarian friends who keep sharing every news article about smoking, vaping and covid-19 that pop up. And there's many of them.

The reason they share them though is to call them "fake news" as they believe that smoking lowers risk of dying of covid-19. That's a common problem with Libertarians. They usually believe what they want to believe over the facts. Same problem with Conservatives. And Greens voters. And pretty much everyone. But mainly Conservatives.

Side note, there is some evidence that smoking may lower your risk of contracting the disease which is a bit weird. But it increases your risk of dying from the disease.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
They do that. The government and the media have both pointed out the comorbidity thing and discussed staying healthy many times.
100% disagree.

There has been wall to wall media hysterics 24 hours a day. "OMG there is a new case of coronavirus in Bankstown" etc etc.

The 6pm news bulletins regularly stop their news once or twice each evening with "Breaking news" about a new virus case somewhere in Sydney.

All they've done is whip up hysterics by bombarding people with non stop coverage about virus case numbers and locations.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
100% disagree.

There has been wall to wall media hysterics 24 hours a day. "OMG there is a new case of coronavirus in Bankstown" etc etc.

The 6pm news bulletins regularly stop their news once or twice each evening with "Breaking news" about a new virus case somewhere in Sydney.

All they've done is whip up hysterics by bombarding people with non stop coverage about virus case numbers and locations.
Those reports make sense though as new cases means higher restrictions and next thing you know we're in Communist Victoria.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The media (including social media) definately hasn't helped control the hysteria.

They may not report any misinformation. But they highlight and skim what they want to.

My nephew. Not the sharpest tool in the shed. Legitimately thinks covid is going to wipe out the world. He thinks, if he catches it, he will die, no doubt about it. I ask where he gets his information from, he says its all over the news. He is glued to the tv, watching for covid updates.

I understand. News corporations are profit driven. And panic sells. But shit its irresponsible

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The media (including social media) definately hasn't helped control the hysteria.

They may not report any misinformation. But they highlight and skim what they want to.

My nephew. Not the sharpest tool in the shed. Legitimately thinks covid is going to wipe out the world. He thinks, if he catches it, he will die, no doubt about it. I ask where he gets his information from, he says its all over the news. He is glued to the tv, watching for covid updates.

I understand. News corporations are profit driven. And panic sells. But shit its irresponsible
Yeah, I don't disagree with what you and Dawg are saying there. That's generally the media's drive. They'll usually go with what sells. Ironically the one that does it the least is the one that's most hated and criticised (ABC)

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There has been several media organisations that at least put some effort in to providing actual information.

ABC, BBC, NPR and CNN all publish fact based podcasts that discuss the actual details without the fear mongering but no one pays attention to those because facts aren't interesting. Fear is.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There has been several media organisations that at least put some effort in to providing actual information.

ABC, BBC, NPR and CNN all publish fact based podcasts that discuss the actual details without the fear mongering but no one pays attention to those because facts aren't interesting. Fear is.
Agreed. Fear sells. When it comes to written media, just look at the headlines to articles, always dramatic fear mongering luring the reader into clicking the link (click bait). The factual contents or quotes usually arnt until the small last paragraph of the article.

With visual bulletin media, such at the nightly news on 7, 9 or 10. They only have a little time to cram in information. They start the program with a 3 seconds fear mongering headline luring the viewer into staying on their channel(clickish bait lol). Ad breaks will come on. Then the story will get aired in a 60second segment of flashing headlines and dramatic pictures with a droned out voice in the background.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Agreed. Fear sells. When it comes to written media, just look at the headlines to articles, always dramatic fear mongering luring the reader into clicking the link (click bait). The factual contents or quotes usually arnt until the small last paragraph of the article.

With visual bulletin media, such at the nightly news on 7, 9 or 10. They only have a little time to cram in information. They start the program with a 3 seconds fear mongering headline luring the viewer into staying on their channel(clickish bait lol). Ad breaks will come on. Then the story will get aired in a 60second segment of flashing headlines and dramatic pictures with a droned out voice in the background.
You must absolutely hate Fox :grinning:

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
btw just so everybody knows the thoughts of the UN on coronavirus.

If you thought that COVID-19 was all about a health crisis - think again. It's actually about 'patriarchy'.

UN Tweet said:
The #COVID19 pandemic is demonstrating what we all know: millennia of patriarchy have resulted in a male-dominated world with a male-dominated culture which damages everyone – women, men, girls & boys.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Woodward book: Trump says he knew coronavirus was ‘deadly’ and worse than the flu while intentionally misleading Americans

Matthew Pottinger, the deputy national security adviser, agreed. He told the president that after reaching contacts in China, it was evident that the world faced a health emergency on par with the flu pandemic of 1918, which killed an estimated 50 million people worldwide.

Ten days later, Trump called Woodward and revealed that he thought the situation was far more dire than what he had been saying publicly.

“You just breathe the air and that’s how it’s passed,” Trump said in a Feb. 7 call. “And so that’s a very tricky one. That’s a very delicate one. It’s also more deadly than even your strenuous flu.”

“This is deadly stuff,” the president repeated for emphasis.

At that time, Trump was telling the nation that the virus was no worse than a seasonal flu, predicting it would soon disappear and insisting that the U.S. government had it totally under control. It would be several weeks before he would publicly acknowledge that the virus was no ordinary flu and that it could be transmitted through the air.

Trump admitted to Woodward on March 19 that he deliberately minimized the danger. “I wanted to always play it down,” the president said.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Woodward book: Trump says he knew coronavirus was ‘deadly’ and worse than the flu while intentionally misleading Americans

Matthew Pottinger, the deputy national security adviser, agreed. He told the president that after reaching contacts in China, it was evident that the world faced a health emergency on par with the flu pandemic of 1918, which killed an estimated 50 million people worldwide.

Ten days later, Trump called Woodward and revealed that he thought the situation was far more dire than what he had been saying publicly.

“You just breathe the air and that’s how it’s passed,” Trump said in a Feb. 7 call. “And so that’s a very tricky one. That’s a very delicate one. It’s also more deadly than even your strenuous flu.”

“This is deadly stuff,” the president repeated for emphasis.

At that time, Trump was telling the nation that the virus was no worse than a seasonal flu, predicting it would soon disappear and insisting that the U.S. government had it totally under control. It would be several weeks before he would publicly acknowledge that the virus was no ordinary flu and that it could be transmitted through the air.

Trump admitted to Woodward on March 19 that he deliberately minimized the danger. “I wanted to always play it down,” the president said.

Sounds bad on first reading.

what’s the context here? Is this published in a book? Who is the source?

Status
Not open for further replies.