Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
NRL 2018: Wests Tigers' Corey Thompson describes fullback role as 'perfect' before potential clash with James Tedesco's Sydney Roosters

He's the smallest and perhaps least celebrated out of a string of summer arrivals, but replacing James Tedesco in the Tigers No.1 jersey and then lining up against him in the opening round is doing little to faze surprise fullback frontrunner Corey Thompson.

The pint-sized 27-year-old, who rose to prominence as a member of the Bulldogs' grand final side in 2014 before a two-year switch to the Super League, is favoured to edge out Tui Lolohea as Ivan Cleary's fullback to start the season.

Lolohea was thought to be the natural No.1 choice for Cleary, but the fact the Tigers have registered their interest in off-contract Warriors ace Roger Tuivasa-Sheck suggests nothing is set in stone, which means they could well turn to one of the smallest men in the game to fill the role in the interim for a baptism of fire against Tedesco's Roosters.

"Tui's a great fullback and he's a gun on the field, but I'm going to do all I can to get on the field whether it be on the wing, centre, fullback ... wherever," Thompson said.

"I'm going to train my hardest and play my hardest to try to get a spot. The amount of good backs we have here everyone is pushing each other hard to get a spot and that should make the team better.

"I was at the Bulldogs when [Tedesco] was at the Tigers and it was difficult to play against him. You would kick-chase and somehow he would beat five of you and then he would be off down the field."

"I pulled up well," Tedesco told the Roosters' website. "The body felt good and I felt pretty fit. There's a lot to improve on, but it's a good starting point."

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I cannot see this being a good move by the Wests Tigers.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I love Corey Thompson.

but he is not kody nikorima.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll watch their games just for Tubs and Grubs... always liked Corey Thompson.
Me too (and to give it to my mate who said he's gonna stop watching Tigpies games because they signed Reynolds lol) - did anyone catch the Tigpies trial? If so, did Thompson do ok?

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Good luck to Corey, I thought he always played well for us.

Not too much luck as I want to is the Tigers in the rightful position at the bottom of the ladder.

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont even think he will be in the team. lolohea most likely has the fullback spot locked up for now

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good solid player Thompson
Punched above his weight and good attitude

I remember talking to him at the Nines after party in Auckland, good dude and was busy babysitting a wasted J Moz who was telling everyone he was B Moz lol

All the best to him

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Loved this guys style, always gave 100%. Hope he kills it! deserve the success

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Same body as Barba..Mybe.
Size means nothing.
If u mean mbye, his fair bit bigger than Thompson
And yes similar size to barba, but doesn't have that off the mark pace that kills defensive lines or vision
Loved the bloke, if only he was a foot taller n a yard of pace quicker he would be the best winger out there! But u could say that about alpt of blokes

Tacky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Me too (and to give it to my mate who said he's gonna stop watching Tigpies games because they signed Reynolds lol) - did anyone catch the Tigpies trial? If so, did Thompson do ok?
Scored a try from a Brooks kick, almost scored another and had a 40 meter run after getting the ball in the in-goal. Looked lively every time he got the ball. The Sharks weren't messing around either, it wasn't like he did this against easy opposition.

Pretty much locked in as fullback since Tui is still struggling with fitness.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Scored a try from a Brooks kick, almost scored another and had a 40 meter run after getting the ball in the in-goal. Looked lively every time he got the ball. The Sharks weren't messing around either, it wasn't like he did this against easy opposition.

Pretty much locked in as fullback since Tui is still struggling with fitness.
He'll kill it in ISP.......

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Tubs killed it in NSW Cup one year, then in 2016 absolutely blew everyone away in ESL. 20 tries from 23 games including 3 on debut.
Would that be the ESL where their 2017 champions got flogged by over 30 by a Melbourne side still in pre-season? The same one that even plonkers like the Dragons and Souffs beat as well? No doubt he can run but he will be lucky to get a run in FG. Even Fonua offers more than him and he will struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.