Cook just as fast as me: Brett Morris

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A season-ending injury to first-choice rake Michael Lichaa was supposed to bring Canterbury's NRL finals tilt to a halt, but back-up choice Damien Cook has literally sped them up.

Cook came up big in Lichaa's absence against South Sydney, providing the highlight of the match with his miracle tapback from well over the deadball line for Sam Perrett to score on the stroke of halftime.

Bulldogs teammate Brett Morris was Cook's weights partner at St George-Illawarra in 2013, but it wasn't his power game that made the Helensburgh junior stand out.

"If you know Damien well, you know how fast he actually is," Morris said.

"If you watch that play over, you see he covers a lot of ground pretty quickly."

Asked if Cook matched him for pace, the noted speedster said: "He's just as quick, certainly."

Morris revealed the Bulldogs' latest hero used to be a distinguished beach sprinter in his teenage years, before focusing on rugby league.

"I don't think there's too much money in beach sprinting, so he converted to rugby league."

Perrett said the team always knew of Cook's ability to deliver on the big stage, but Friday's coming-out party re-affirmed their confidence to back him.

"For your teammates to see that, it's really confidence boosting for the whole team," he said.

"Everyone knows now that if Cooky's going to be there, he's going to do an amazing job for us."

The Rabbitohs match was just Cook's fifth appearance in the NRL since making his debut with the Dragons in 2013.

However, after proving his worth against the defending premiers, Cook will not only be relied on in the club's premiership charge, he also stands on the verge of his biggest contract in first grade.

"My contract finishes up (this year)," Cook said after the match.

"But the Dogs, they've spoken to me.

"Des (Hasler) obviously wants to keep me around, which is good. Hopefully this just helps the matter."

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/cook-just-as-fast-as-me-brett-morris/tabid/91/newsid/173288/default.aspx

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
Interesting to hear that from B Moz.

We all know that Moses is very quick but it seems that he dosent have the acceleration off the mark or from slow pace.

Cook does.

Would be great if he had the speed and acceleration of the Morris' old man Steve.
He was the quickest in all respects just in front of the legend Turvs.

He always won the quickest in RL over 60m in a sprint race held annually at the Wentworth Park Greyhound meeting some
years ago.
Dont know why the RL havent resurrected this.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
if the club was smart enough young cook would be resigned, we need to start looking at our nsw cup team aswell, if we have injuries logic says the replacement comes from the nsw cup team, so why not have decent players in the key positions there as a back up, des only looks at his team, but with any injuries in top grade we then rely on the lower grade to cover, plus having a player out of form, it could be a swap with the lower grade, we cant keep going with the focus on the top grade only anymore, we need to have reliable back ups for if and when we need them

cook has been a blessing, but many on here would also why wasnt lafai dropped to nsw cup and someone from there step up

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
ffs i was one of the idiots who chose beach sprinting over rugby league, i thought it was going to take off plus the women in beach sprinting are more appealing than the women in league

btw now im more confident of our chances without lichaa, i thought it was a death sentence for our season but cook is good and the team loved ennis very much, so the team might lift because cook is the replacement of the replacement

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
ffs i was one of the idiots who chose beach sprinting over rugby league, i thought it was going to take off plus the women in beach sprinting are more appealing than the women in league

btw now im more confident of our chances without lichaa, i thought it was a death sentence for our season but cook is good and the team loved ennis very much, so the team might lift because cook is the replacement of the replacement

wow, thumbs up before you get thumbs down from the liccha lovers :-)

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
BS. B Moz makes Speedy Gonzalez look like Regular Gonzalez.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Also if Lichaa plays SOO in the future, then we will need a handy backup hooker.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think bmoz is talking himself up a little, iv heard cook is the fastest in the club over 40m but now I think over 40-50m mybe has them both covered. What I would like to see soon is jmoz in the clear, is it just me or has he lost a heap of speed??

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think bmoz is talking himself up a little, iv heard cook is the fastest in the club over 40m but now I think over 40-50m mybe has them both covered. What I would like to see soon is jmoz in the clear, is it just me or has he lost a heap of speed??
Looked pretty quick to me when he ran around Mead, who is no slouch.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You talking about bmoz or jmoz? I'm talking about jmoz losing some pace

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I've been saying it for ages here that Cook is the fastest hooker Ive ever seen.

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
if the club was smart enough young cook would be resigned, we need to start looking at our nsw cup team aswell, if we have injuries logic says the replacement comes from the nsw cup team, so why not have decent players in the key positions there as a back up, des only looks at his team, but with any injuries in top grade we then rely on the lower grade to cover, plus having a player out of form, it could be a swap with the lower grade, we cant keep going with the focus on the top grade only anymore, we need to have reliable back ups for if and when we need them

cook has been a blessing, but many on here would also why wasnt lafai dropped to nsw cup and someone from there step up

Who would step up for Lafai ?

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You talking about bmoz or jmoz? I'm talking about jmoz losing some pace

Michael Cronin wasn't electrifyingly fast ( quicker than most thought though) and he was one of the best centres of all time.
Don't worry about Josh losing a yard, his footy brain and defence with his more than adequate pace is invaluable to us.
He's a bloody champion.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I've been saying it for ages here that Cook is the fastest hooker Ive ever seen.
Funny thing is that Cook hasn't shown himself at full pace yet, and finally people are saying "wow hes fast".

Wait till they see him at full flight (because he's got footwork as well).

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You Pennis, i mean Ennis lovers must be over the moon with Lichaa injured.

Bulldogs love come before the love for any player hence I wasnt actually happy liccha being injured, but hopefully Cook continues on with his brilliant form and I would consider liccha injury a blessing in disguise.

If cooks win the premiership with Dogs this year,it will be very hard for liccha to get back his spot tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.