Connor Tracy

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The Cronulla coaching staff all consider Tracey better suited to centre. Which is where they wanted to play him last season until Kennedy got injured and they needed him to play fullback.

Always a Bulldog

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He Looks like a genuine fullback to me. I didn't watch much of him though so not sure what his defense is like. The highlights usually only show the attack and only the best bits. I dare say CC and Gus would have sussed that out though.
There has to be a reason why he hasn't played more first grade in the past ..... i know he has had injuries and decent players in front of him but i have always thought his defense was a little suspect.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree

He will be the 2024 "BUY OF THE YEAR"!!!
Thereabouts, though I think Leniu at the Roosters will take that honour. Curran is also a great pick up by us and Taaffe will surprise many.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There has to be a reason why he hasn't played more first grade in the past ..... i know he has had injuries and decent players in front of him but i have always thought his defense was a little suspect.
Opportunity. He was at clubs with pretty strong rosters. Compare that to our club who had such a terrible roster, anyone with a pair of boots would be given a jersey.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why don't we just have a combined Xerri/Tracey/Taaffe thread?
Isn't it mainly about these three players competing for two spots?
Surely Sexton and Hutchison are the only two competing for 7?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Why don't we just have a combined Xerri/Tracey/Taaffe thread?
Isn't it mainly about these three players competing for two spots?
Surely Sexton and Hutchison are the only two competing for 7?
Taaffe is a quality half back.

Always a Bulldog

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
I think if Tracey didn’t arrive injured.

Taaffe would have spent a fair bit more time training at 7 this offseason.

With questions on Crichton at Fullback they needed another fullback option ready to go. Taaffe was it.

By all reports has done really well there. Enough to allow Crichton to play the position he is (imo)the best in the world as a centre.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Always been a fringe first grader, Not buying into the hype this guys a massive downgrade from averillo.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Cronulla coaching staff all consider Tracey better suited to centre. Which is where they wanted to play him last season until Kennedy got injured and they needed him to play fullback.

Always a Bulldog
Left centre ?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if Tracey didn’t arrive injured.

Taaffe would have spent a fair bit more time training at 7 this offseason.

With questions on Crichton at Fullback they needed another fullback option ready to go. Taaffe was it.

By all reports has done really well there. Enough to allow Crichton to play the position he is (imo)the best in the world as a centre.
Agree about Crichton mate.

Our edge defence was horrible last year.

Stick him at right centre and then with Kikau as left edge backrower we have 2 world class defenders on either edge.

We will still get pumped through the middle but at least we won’t get pumped on the edges as much

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Agree about Crichton mate.

Our edge defence was horrible last year.

Stick him at right centre and then with Kikau as left edge backrower we have 2 world class defenders on either edge.

We will still get pumped through the middle but at least we won’t get pumped on the edges as much
We're still getting pumped on the edges, practically zero difference will be made until our middle is sorted.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The most concerning part is we’ve now spent the entire preseason trialing 3 guys at fullback instead of giving one guy the time to gel.

Round 1 > start with Taffee
Round 6 > realise he isn’t the answer and switch to Tracey
Round 12 > Crichton isn’t seeing any ball so he switches with Tracey

We’ve now wasted half the season
I don’t think that will happen. I’m mean, ffs Cirro stuck with Perham form most of the season when it was obvious he wasn’t the answer?
I’m sure the right decision will reveal itself and they will give it the time it needs to develop.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Can't argue with that. Taaffe might bring some playmaking when he comes up into the line. Which is possibly why Hutchison might be considered for 7. Because he offers something different to Sexton, is more complementary Taaffe.
Just a thought, something to look for in the trials: which 1 & 7 combinations they test out. Eg Tracey/Sexton v Taaffe/Hutchison.