Not open for further replies.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why does coke always taste better in a glass bottle than a can or plastic bottle?

I'm always asking for a bottle of Coke in a glass and if they don't have it, I'd just drink water.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why does coke always taste better in a glass bottle than a can or plastic bottle?

I'm always asking for a bottle of Coke in a glass and if they don't have it, I'd just drink water.
Everything taste better from glass I swear, I really don't know the science behind it as I don't chemistry in uni lol. I can do some research later but I have a hunch it deals with the amount of UV rays plastic lets in and its oxygen permeability (allowing of oxidation).

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Same as beer
Beer works with the UV stuff and oxygen permeability, brown glass bottles stop light spoiling it and oxygen doing other things to it.

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tip: Never announce when you have arrived at a Eastern Suburbs house party that you brought some coke and ice. The looks of disappointment once you pull out the 2L coke and 5kg bag of cold ice.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Well i know in cans they have a coating of epoxy resin, this absorbs some of the flavour. Epoxy resin is also used on aircrafts so its nice and healthy for you ;) in the can theres also a chemical reaction and that releases another chemical into the drink, cant remember what it is but its also nice and healthy aha. Plastic also releases a chemical into the drink caused by heat and it doesnt filter the uv aswel as the glass so it degrades the quality of the drink. Glass has advanced uv filtering and limits the damage to the drink. I researched this like 6 years so i cant remember everything aha

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
While we're all here ... I wish to universally proclaim Coke-alternatives as wrong.

No lemon. No vanilla. No cherry.
Forget diet. Forget sugar-free.

Just gimme plain old, regular, been-working-fine-for-100yrs ... COKE !

A

Alexander the Great

After reading the title i thought this was another Barba Thread..

A

Alexander the Great

Ps: a can in the freezer for a bout 20 minutes is my motto.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I dont use coke, I just like the smell of it.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And another pet hate of mine is when you get Coke from Maccas, its the worst (sometimes its good) but its not the same.

Its like buying made in China Coke, a copy, an imitation. How do Coke allow this to happen and ruin their taste brand?

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
While we're all here ... I wish to universally proclaim Coke-alternatives as wrong.

No lemon. No vanilla. No cherry.
Forget diet. Forget sugar-free.

Just gimme plain old, regular, been-working-fine-for-100yrs ... COKE !
Ummmmmmmm...... did you just badmouth Cherry Coke? Tell me you didn't just badmouth Cherry Coke.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And another pet hate of mine is when you get Coke from Maccas, its the worst (sometimes its good) but its not the same.

Its like buying made in China Coke, a copy, an imitation. How do Coke allow this to happen and ruin their taste brand?
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! Maccas coke is the best coke!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Eeeeeewwwww ! It's like water with black food colouring !
I hate all post mix drinks.
I like to flatten my coke slightly before I drink it and maccas already have done that for me hence my love for it.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Food technologists' theory on why Coke in glass may taste different compared to plastic and aluminum:

“The polymer that lines aluminum cans might absorb small amounts of soluble flavor from the soda. Conversely, acetaldehyde in plastic bottles might migrate into the soda [which could] alter flavour.”

PS: I also like Macca's Coke best. The ice in the cup keeps the Coke to the perfect temp and flatness.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's partiality what's been mentioned but there's also a large factor of glass shape. The shape and texture of the glass effects drinks. You'll see this most commonly with beer,different glass gives slightly different flavour, but try grabbing two cans of coke. Poor one in a glass and drink one from the can. Even though they originated in the same device they taste different.

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You haven't had coffee until you've tried coke from Mexico. They still use cane sugar no chemical Crap. Best thing ever!

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
COCA-COLA is looking to tap into a new market, with plans to let customers make its sodas and other drinks at home.

The world's biggest beverage maker said Wednesday that it's buying a 10 per cent stake in Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc. for $1.25 billion as part of an agreement to bring its brands into the fast-growing at-home market. Green Mountain is known for its single-serve coffee makers, but is developing a machine for cold drinks as well.

The deal comes as SodaStream makes an aggressive push to make its at-home carbonation machines a fixture in U.S. kitchens. The Israeli company has touted its machines as a cheaper, more environmentally friendly alternative to buying Coke and Pepsi drinks.

Investors sent Green Mountain's stock soaring and SodaStream's lower after the deal was announced.

A worker checks bottles at a production line in Germany.
A worker checks bottles at a production line in Germany.
Coca-Cola's decision to team up with Green Mountain also comes as soda consumption in the U.S. and other developed nations continues to decline, in part because of the growing number of options people have in the beverage aisle.

Green Mountain's "Keurig Cold" machine is expected to roll out in the company's 2015 fiscal year. The company says the machine will let people make sodas, sports drinks and other beverages with the touch of a button.

In a call with reporters, Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent seemed to play down the idea that the deal might eat into sales of its ready-to-drink bottles and cans.

"This is not a zero-sum game," Kent said.

Green Mountain CEO Brian Kelley said that the company planned to "do with cold beverages what has been done with hot tea and coffee."

Before joining Green Mountain in late 2012, Kelley had been a high-ranking executive at Coca-Cola.

Coca-Cola and Green Mountain said they have signed a 10-year agreement. As part of that deal, Coca-Cola will acquire nearly 16.7 million new Green Mountain shares.

Coca-Cola shares were up 1 per cent at $37.98. Green Mountain's shares soared 30 per cent in after-hours trading. SodaStream shares were down more than 9 per cent at $32.40.

Status
Not open for further replies.