Cogger or Brock Lamb

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Both these backup halves have been let go by Newcastle this year..

We signed Cogger, Roosters signed Lamb

Comparing where both players are in their stage of their career and their development which player is the smarter buy?

Both 21 years old
Both have played Halfback and 5/8 in NRL

Lambs played 31 NRL games
Coggers played 20 NRL games

From what Ive seen I rate Brock Lamb as the better of the 2 players

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Comparing where both players are in their stage of their career and their development which player is the smarter buy?

Both 21 years old

Lamb is soft. Coggar is a terrier.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lamb has had plenty of opportunity but never really done a lot with it.. No doubt he will be better at the Rorters, but I can't see him becoming anything special

Cogger is still very fresh so I guess we will just wait and see what he can offer.. 20 games though? I thought he had played like 5

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lamb has had plenty of opportunity but never really done a lot with it.. No doubt he will be better at the Rorters, but I can't see him becoming anything special

Cogger is still very fresh so I guess we will just wait and see what he can offer.. 20 games though? I thought he had played like 5
Played 6 NRL games in 2016
2 in 2017
12 in 2018

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Both 21 years old

Lamb is a fucking dumb football player

He does some really stupid shit at times

Cost the knights a win over us at Belmore if you remember

Cogger not as dumb

Neither are nrl standard but I’m happy with Cogger

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Cogger and Wakeman in ISP should be interesting next yr..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’d love to know if we still would have signed Cogger if we had seen Lewis play like he did in NRL. I hope we didn’t burn too much money on him because he just seems like a really average half.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will all depend on the coach and Pay will probably bring out his best.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cogger was meant to be the more talented one coming through but with his major pelvis injury in 2016 it gave Lamb an opportunity to really cement himself with no competition and he did develop a lot and I still think can be a good player in the NRL but he has failed to eliminate some of his flaws but playing with such an awful side wouldn’t have helped. Cogger was always the more vocal one coming through and played as the traditional halfback, it’ll be interesting to see him really build up confidence and get consistent game time in first grade.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’d love to know if we still would have signed Cogger if we had seen Lewis play like he did in NRL. I hope we didn’t burn too much money on him because he just seems like a really average half.
Pay didn't waste no time in signing the kid and Brown rates him highly... Make take a few yrs to get his strength up but kids a professional in the halves. We never know we may see Lewis become a ball playing lock with Coggar and Wakeman outside him one day.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We've been waiting for a decent half or halves for so long and now that we have one in Lewis I don't think we should be considering him for other positions

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the more important comparison is
Cogger
JMK and
Nu Brown

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess the more important comparison is
Cogger
JMK and
Nu Brown
JMK needs to spend the season in ISP and learn how to attack. When you have this top 30 thing from the NRL he’s a real waste of a spot. His defense isn’t even that good.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lamb gets out on the drink a lot. Going to Chooks apparently

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't see the point in comparing them at this stage and even if we were comparing them I've only seen snippets of both.. They're completely different players and will sink or swim based on their own playing styles. At 21 they have both got a decent amount of experience already. But they're still not the first choice halves at Newcastle, so they both have work ahead of them to establish themselves. I hope Cogger takes some big steps in his development through the off-season, but realistically Lewis showed enough in his limited time to have stepped to the top of the pecking order.