Opinion Coaching Process

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't agree more. Ive watched the media and Gus closely for all comments regarding our future coach over the last few weeks.
As the Director of football It's Goulds job to find a suitable replacement and recommend that individual to the Board. So Goulds comments, that he hadn't received any applications, hasn't called for any applications, but moreover his ridiculous comment that he hasn't given our future coach any thought, beggars the question, WHY NOT?
Is it wise to wait and see what other Clubs do in replacing their coach? No.
Is it wise to appoint ANOTHER rookie coach with none or limited NRL experience, considering the mess we are in? No.
Do coaches attract players? And do players we wish to negotiate with going forward care who the coach will be? Yes.
So logically Gould has someone in mind, and for various reasons, doesn't want the media to know yet.
I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable. Fans, sponsors, players and the Club, all the stakeholders want to know WHO.
There's increasing noise that it won't be Flanagan. I can't see exactly where this is coming from. The vast majority of Dogs fans wants Flanagan, so why are we hearing this?
Increasingly, the word around town is Fittler.
Problem is Fittler is contracted to 9 and NSWRL for SOO Coach for another year. So lets assume we throw enough money to entice Fittler to break these contracts. Do dogs fans want Fittler? I'm hearing increasingly that we don't.
So here's the squeeze....If Fittler wins this years SOO, he will be appointed our coach, the Club will be happy, heralding the appointment of a proven winner, and fans have to accept it.....
BUT, if Fittler loses this years SOO series, there's NO WAY IN HELL DOGS FANS WOULD ACCEPT THIS. The Board would be tossed at the next AGM.
This Wednesdays first SOO game just got much more important.
Just been watching SOO, QLD will put a score on NSW, which is bad news fo us, because Fittler will be be replaced, and he will be available to coach club football, any guess who Gus wants as our coach.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If Gus gets this wrong, than he is gone

I dont know about the timing, but what i do know is that we need a coach who can rebuild a club

Are the following coaches suited for the rebuilding process along with the politics at Belmore?

Flanagan - Yes
Fittler - No
Maguire - No according to the last 4 years at Tigers
Toovey - Yes
Gus is going nowhere he has a five year contract with a five year option in his favour, he’ll be here long after the current board is long gone.

Jabba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

I dont know about the timing, but what i do know is that we need a coach who can rebuild a club

Are the following coaches suited for the rebuilding process along with the politics at Belmore?

Flanagan - Yes
Fittler - No
Toovey - Yes
Mate sorry to say it is Bradley

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Flanagan - Yes
Fittler - No
Toovey - Yes
LOLLLL yes Toovey ? :tearsofjoy:

Jabba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gould has enormous influence and an extensive network but i often wonder whether his evasiveness, vagueness and talking in riddles is because he is unsure or he wants to confuse others. Would be a challenge for coaches staff n players to understand what he wants if he communicates like that on a daily basis.

Is there more to him or is it as it was with George Costanza "less"
Gus knows exactly who will be the coach. Guys- I would love to meet you all and help you all understand how this all works. I am not trying to be patronising or condescending but I read all this stuff and get really upset for every one on here. I am a supporter Luke you all but please be aware Gus has sorted the coa c h

Reactions: 88

Jabba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus knows exactly who will be the coach. Guys- I would love to meet you all and help you all understand how this all works. I am not trying to be patronising or condescending but I read all this stuff and get really upset for every one on here. I am a supporter Luke you all but please be aware Gus has sorted the coa c h
Just my intuition. In Gus we trust

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What worries me most is the possibility of a major clash with the board, should Gus really wants Fittler.
I don't know anything about Gus's contractual arrangement with the club, but if this was to happen, I can see us been sent back another 10 years, with Gus taking off and laughing all the way to the bank, and our once great club only competing in the CC.

Cheng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it shouldn't be what Gus wants....

Board has to vote a new coach in while Gus concentrates and works on junior pathways and salary cap balancing

If Gus is considering Fittler, he needs to be bitch slapped across the face with a wet rag

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What worries me most is the possibility of a major clash with the board, should Gus really wants Fittler.
I don't know anything about Gus's contractual arrangement with the club, but if this was to happen, I can see us been sent back another 10 years, with Gus taking off and laughing all the way to the bank, and our once great club only competing in the CC.
If Gould wants Fittler but the board wants flanagan - - i d side with the board

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
we don’t need a coach who can rebuild a club or a development coach or whatever other buzzwords are floating around. We just need someone who knows how to coach, someone who knows how to get the best out of people.

Todd Payten is the coach i think we should go after although not sure if his family is in north qld and that’s why he wanted to leave the warriors.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well if you are correct and it is Fittler, no contract he has will save him because that is the dumbest call in our clubs history and Gus can go fuck himself.

Its actually way worse than the decision to hire Barrett..

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We need flanno. We’ve got a culture problem at the club. He sorted the sharks out pretty quickly in that department. Madge tried and failed to do it at tigers. And he signed so many absolute shit ***** such as Reynolds (sorry mate), mbye, James roberts, peachey

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Not quite, more like sterling silver, the previous administration were diligent enough to insert some kpi’s at a review point. He was paid commensurate with achievements……
Even better for us bro

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I would love to Blame Barrett for our defence as well, in the last 3 games we have leaked 28 points as an average per game as opposed to the average of 20 points per game in Barretts last 3. Furner is rubbish and his track record also highlights that.
No fan of Furner, but that was the situation. Given our performances over the last 3 weeks, you can see Potter is Ron Massey quality at best…

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Gould wants Fittler but the board wants flanagan - - i d side with the board
Gould’s decision will be final, the Board will rubber stamp it. There is not enough football nous on the Board to challenge him bar possibly 2. The Board members should swim in their lane, the majority of them are in the wading pool.