Opinion Coaching Process

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I like many on here was of the opinion that Barrett's time was up

It's quite obvious they made him walk with a juicy 500k payout, just like how the previous board made Pay walk out with a pay out......because if they really did leave "on their own terms", they would not of received a payout

My question is with the timing of all this?

Why would you sack Barrett, give him a payout and than bring in Potter for half a season and upgrade his contract to reflect that of a first grade coach....

Wouldn't you leave Barrett until the end of 2022 and than give him his marching orders? It doesn't make sense if the club will "hopefully" have a coach by September, which means that it is likely a current contracted coach while sacking Barrett half way through the year?

Could it be that the club already had a handshake agreement with a coach before Barrett was sacked?

Could it be there is a current contracted coach who has cornered Gus to act now, giving him a guarantee that the job is vacant, instead of waiting until the end of the year where it "might" be vacant?

I find it hard to believe that a NRL club would sack their head coach half way through the year, in "hope" with replacing him with a contracted coach at the end of the year

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Often caretaker coaches get a better result for at least a few weeks. A couple more wins could make the difference between us getting the spoon or not. Under Barrett we would have become progressively worse each and every week. The board couldn't be seen to be doing absolutely nothing about it. Barrett was too stubborn to try something different. Potter will (and is) try a few different things hence why we're scoring a few more points

Cartel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Gus gets this wrong, than he is gone

I dont know about the timing, but what i do know is that we need a coach who can rebuild a club

Are the following coaches suited for the rebuilding process along with the politics at Belmore?

Flanagan - Yes
Fittler - No
Maguire - No according to the last 4 years at Tigers
Toovey - Yes

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's quite obvious they made him walk with a juicy 500k payout, just like how the previous board made Pay walk out with a pay out......because if they really did leave "on their own terms", they would not of received a payout

Why would you sack Barrett, give him a payout and than bring in Potter for half a season and upgrade his contract to reflect that of a first grade coach....

Wouldn't you leave Barrett until the end of 2022 and than give him his marching orders? It doesn't make sense if the club will "hopefully" have a coach by September, which means that it is likely a current contracted coach while sacking Barrett half way through the year?

Could it be that the club already had a handshake agreement with a coach before Barrett was sacked?

Could it be there is a current contracted coach who has cornered Gus to act now, giving him a guarantee that the job is vacant, instead of waiting until the end of the year where it "might" be vacant?

I find it hard to believe that a NRL club would sack their head coach half way through the year, in "hope" with replacing him with a contracted coach at the end of the year
Barrett wasn’t sacked , he gradually alienated himself from Gould,the coaching staff & ultimately the playing group. He refused to take advice or consult with the senior playing group & coaching staff and had to fall on his sword. It was only a matter of when after the Sharks trial.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One thing that never made sense was Barrett was regarded as a good atacking coach before he came and was a 5/8 halfback himself..

but we struggled in those areas under his coaching.. its only 2 games but we look better in attack under Potter than before ..

Malla

Reaction score

I don't think Pay walked with a pay out. I think he just walked. Pretty sure he walked because he was told he would not be considered beyond his contract which was due to expire that same season.

Malla

Reaction score
One thing that never made sense was Barrett was regarded as a good atacking coach before he came and was a 5/8 halfback himself..

but we struggled in those areas under his coaching.. its only 2 games but we look better in attack under Potter than before ..
Job was just too big for him.

He is a great attacking coach, but I think managing people is where he struggles and I don't know what he see's in Furner and Ferris but they do him no favours. If he's ever to get back into coaching, he really needs to think about who he surrounds himself with.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is on a 5 year deal with a 5 year option. All our eggs are in his basket. So I doubt he will be moved on any time soon. He still needs to get his hands across every aspect. This will be the first time he picks a coach so just have to trust the process. It will be the first time he overseas a recruitment drive that will flow onto the “warchest” in 24.

He will set up a pathways program (which according to him is what he came here to achieve). We won’t see the results of that for Atleast 4-5 years time. That’s identifying 14-15 year olds and bringing them through. Then picking up the best 17-18 year olds from Queensland and new zealand and bringing them through.

Gould will be the last one standing in my eyes. Long after the next coach, captain, and possibly current board is gone…… But this isn’t a simple fix. So he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

He is a great attacking coach, but I think managing people is where he struggles and I don't know what he see's in Furner and Ferris but they do him no favours. If he's ever to get back into coaching, he really needs to think about who he surrounds himself with.
I feel you’re spot on here. Some coaches will be great assistants or great in specific roles but will never be cut out to be a head coach. Nothing wrong with that other than the fact you have to try and be a head coach to see if you can cut it. One or two attempts is all you’ll get e.g Barrett. I don’t see him in a head coaching role again but will likely get snapped up as an assistant at some point.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is on a 5 year deal with a 5 year option. All our eggs are in his basket. So I doubt he will be moved on any time soon. He still needs to get his hands across every aspect. This will be the first time he picks a coach so just have to trust the process. It will be the first time he overseas a recruitment drive that will flow onto the “warchest” in 24.

He will set up a pathways program (which according to him is what he came here to achieve). We won’t see the results of that for Atleast 4-5 years time. That’s identifying 14-15 year olds and bringing them through. Then picking up the best 17-18 year olds from Queensland and new zealand and bringing them through.

Gould will be the last one standing in my eyes. Long after the next coach, captain, and possibly current board is gone…… But this isn’t a simple fix. So he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
He us our only hope to be honest. To get to a place where we have had no talented juniors come through for so long is an absolute disgrace.

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score

I really don’t understand why he got Ferris to work with him.. Did if actually have any success with another club

Malla

Reaction score
I really don’t understand why he got Ferris to work with him.. Did if actually have any success with another club
Yeah lol they're probably just best mates and he's looking after him? Who knows. He's definitely shit at what he does.

I reckon Barrett does not like surround himself with people that will challenge him and status quo. He does not look like he deals well with confrontation.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

I don't like all the loop holes and "power" that entails with Gus single handedly overseeing the whole Operation: Get Bulldogs Top 4 Again Competitive...but here we are in this dire situation because of previous Boards neglect and ineptness.

What choice do we have? Our results are at such a momumental low point that it appears no other one single person has the ego, or influence, to pull it off.

I can see that 100% but am personally very concerned that even basic discipline and basic rugby league skills and execution are not forthcoming on the field under his leadership as GM Football.

If Gus wants the glory and to be lauded for "saving" the club, and more importantly the responsibility, then he has to jump in boots and all NOW to prevent any further eroding of the club's reputation and widespread morale within, and without, affecting the club, the players and prospective players and the supporters.

No more pussy footing around. Bring on change. Start co-coaching the team with Potter and take full control rather than the half hearted, innuendo filled, limp wristed, directionless football team management/selections we appear to be at present.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score

I dont know about the timing, but what i do know is that we need a coach who can rebuild a club

Are the following coaches suited for the rebuilding process along with the politics at Belmore?

Flanagan - Yes
Fittler - No
Toovey - Yes
Gus is here for more than just our first grade side. Rebuilds happen from the bottom up, not the top down. He's here to turn us in to a breeding ground for true, talented first grade players. Returning us to a club that recognises and fosters young talent is what will fix the Dogs, long term. Poor performance from the next coach won't look great but Gus won't be gone.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
I don't like all the loop holes and "power" that entails with Gus single handedly overseeing the whole Operation: Get Bulldogs Top 4 Again Competitive...but here we are in this dire situation because of previous Boards neglect and ineptness.

What choice do we have? Our results are at such a momumental low point that it appears no other one single person has the ego, or influence, to pull it off.

I can see that 100% but am personally very concerned that even basic discipline and basic rugby league skills and execution are not forthcoming on the field under his leadership as GM Football.

If Gus wants the glory and to be lauded for "saving" the club, and more importantly the responsibility, then he has to jump in boots and all NOW to prevent any further eroding of the club's reputation and widespread morale within, and without, affecting the club, the players and prospective players and the supporters.

No more pussy footing around. Bring on change. Start co-coaching the team with Potter and take full control rather than the half hearted, innuendo filled, limp wristed, directionless football team management/selections we appear to be at present.
his main job is to build a pathway where from juniors to FG is streamline, so we don't have the likes of averillio or wakeham who may play well up to FG and then struggle (not sure if those 2 are accurate as i don't watch much lower grades, but you get my point) and to make sure we don't lose our better ones to other clubs. Anything to do with disciple, performances etc is on the coach.

I hope I don't need to explain this again to anyone else

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

He had no say in Furner’s appointment, he was one of the candidates for Head coach - their relationship was frosty at best, Barrett undermined Furner’s input in the defensive structures

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Flanagan - Yes
Fittler - No
Toovey - Yes
Irrespective of what Potter has said in regards to being interested in the full time job, he’s the only one who perfectly fits the brief Gus outlined immediately following Barrett’s sacking (including knowing the Bulldog way, has 1st coaching experience).

Perhaps Gould has mentioned a September deadline in order for Potter to show Gus he’s the guy. Perhaps Potter has said he’s happy just to caretake until the end of the year to focus on the next few months without the media scrutiny.

I have no idea which way Gould moves in this, however if there is a list of potential full time coaches, I’d be having Potter on it for now, as he’s the only bloke the media isn’t speculating on.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
his main job is to build a pathway where from juniors to FG is streamline, so we don't have the likes of averillio or wakeham who may play well up to FG and then struggle (not sure if those 2 are accurate as i don't watch much lower grades, but you get my point) and to make sure we don't lose our better ones to other clubs. Anything to do with disciple, performances etc is on the coach.

I hope I don't need to explain this again to anyone else
Mate we all know that.

That was the premise of him being hired to fix the joint.

But

It's gone further downhill and he needs to intervene fully in fixing the problems now...not into the future.

We don't have the time to complete studies and best case scenarios and 5 year plans, whilst languishing at the bottom of the pile.

Something needs to be done NOW to improve the teams future. He needs to roll up his sleeves and address this most immediate need NOW.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Mate we all know that.

That was the premise of him being hired to fix the joint.

But

It's gone further downhill and he needs to intervene fully in fixing the problems now...not into the future.

We don't have the time to complete studies and best case scenarios and 5 year plans, whilst languishing at the bottom of the pile.

Something needs to be done NOW to improve the teams future. He needs to roll up his sleeves and address this most immediate need NOW.
no he doesn't, nor should he